18 month old cocker spaniel with growth!

AGAGE

Visit site
Our boy has been to the vets today regarding a small solid lump that has appeared in the last week or so on his left side. We were hoping he had just got a bite/scratch that had got infected but would appear not to be the case. Vet was concerned that it is a solid lump and that it had ulcerated.

Louis is due to have the growth removed it on Monday! The vet thinks it's probably just a benign growth but is sending it to histology to be checked. Since the vet cut the hair around it it looks awful as he keeps scratching it and making it bleed.

He seems fine in himself but I'm worried that he's getting lumps at only 18 months old! Previous dogs that I had haven't had lumps till they were getting old.

Have any of you had young dogs/puppies needing lumps removed?

Should I be worried that he is needing growths removed given his young age?

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Fingers crossed that it is just fatty tissue/benign.

My cocker had a couple of fatty growths removed this year - he had them for a few years but the vets just monitored as due to his age they didn't want to remove them to soon as they are likely to grow back and obviously as they get older the risks associated with anaethetics grow - should say Sweep was 11 when he was operated on so had the growths from about 8/9.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Hopefully it is just a fatty lump, our old bitch had one on her back her whole life, never bothered her and the vet was happy enough to leave it following a biopsy.

Fingers crossed it is nothing serious, maybe ask the vet for a buster collar so that it has a chance to heal without him worrying at it.

AGAGE

Visit site
I really hope it's nothing serious, he's only young.

I was surprised by the vet wanting to remove it straight away, with previous dogs they have just monitored the lumps. However, it was bleeding and he was itching it a lot, so he will be better off with it gone.

Nickijem

Visit site
Lumps seem quite common in dogs! My mum's lab has one on his side but the vet is quite happy to leave it alone. But then he doesn't scratch it.
I am sure your dog will be fine - it sounds as though it'll be better gone if it's troubling him.
Fingers crossed for him.