1st Intro advice please!

Luckylocalian

Visit site
Ok I am aiming to do my 1st intro in the next month or so and am wondering whether to do Milton Keynes, Tweseldown or Etridge. I am based in North London (Mill Hill) and these are all much of a muchness distance wise. I just want a nice inviting fairly flat course to give him a good run. Any advice gratefully received!

Thank you!

L

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
Tdown is not flat and it's twisty and jumps can come up quickly from round corners and bushes not giving the inexperienced horse/rider much time to focus on the fence and prepare, but on the plus side the going is always good.

Personally I would opt for a more traditional gallopy open course to get the horse into a good rhythm and going forwards to its fences not having to always pull and set up for fences on a tighter twisty course.

AutumnRose

Visit site
I don't know Milton Keynes but Eridge is 2 mins from us and i know it well. Last year was its first intro and it was pretty tough as intros goes....it's also very hilly there. I wouldn't recommend it was a first intro tbh.

Tweseldown is a lovely place, fairly flat and good, sandy going. This March was their first intro and i gather it was up to height but inviting.

If you can start a couple of weeks earlier, Berkshire College of Agriculture (BCA) is a lovely event, inviting and not too hilly. Great 1st intro and wouldn't be too far from you.

Later on there is Brightling (not much further than Eridge), which although a little bit hilly (up hill finish) and fairly up to height it is so well built, solid and inviting. Always jumps really well and nothing trappy or tricky.

AutumnRose

Visit site
Hmmm yes on second thoughts Chloe is right about Tweseldown...it is twisty. Brightling is definitely an open, gallopy course
smile.gif

dressage_diva

Visit site
I know my friend took her youngster to do his first intro at MK and she seemed to find the course inviting. I don't know whether it's twisty or a galloping course though, but I know she was very pleased with how her horse went there!

Jul

Visit site
I don't know Eridge, but I wouldn't recommend Tweseldown as a first Intro as their courses are generally pretty tough for each level.
Milton Keynes is a nice, gallopy course and echo the above comments about BCA which is probably closer for you and is also a lovely course IMO, although a bit earlier.

Luckylocalian

Visit site
Excellent - thanks for all your advice. I think that I will do MK and Breightling then and maybe go schooling at Tweseldown so he can have a little play. Any other tips/suggestions gratefully received! Thanks