1st stay away show - what will we forget?

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Good morning- please help. :)

Question as per the title really, but with our Quest team heading off to Bury Farm this weekend we have lists a mile long but none of us have ever done a stay away competition. I know there are a lot of people on here who have and I am certain we are forgetting things.

So our lists are complete with the obvious (including the horses!), but what might we have not thought about that we are going to really want.

This is also made slightly more complicated as we are getting dropped off and picked up so lorry to store stuff in.

Please help, starting to feel a bit real now. :O

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Put your car keys somewhere obvious like the glove box. Nothing worse after a stay away show to have to turn trailer/car upside down looking for keys!

Have your times written on a sheet of paper and stuck on the wall or somewhere accessible and visible.

Loo roll, cash, directions, gloves, spare plaiting bands are easily forgotten. Also you will need to re-wash legs and remove stable stains so a bucket, shampoo, stain remover and sponges for that. If you are limited to a car, mix up feeds in advance in plastic bags to save on space.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Not something to take but do remember your bio security. I was at a vets talk the other night where they said beware of hose pipes at events as the strangles bacteria likes to live at the end of them. By putting a contaminated hose into your bucket it can spread it around. Always use a tap and don't let anyone else use your bucket.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Not something to take but do remember your bio security. I was at a vets talk the other night where they said beware of hose pipes at events as the strangles bacteria likes to live at the end of them. By putting a contaminated hose into your bucket it can spread it around. Always use a tap and don't let anyone else use your bucket.

Yes and never EVER use communal troughs! I am amazed at how many people do.

Britestar

Visit site
Luckily there is a, tack shop at Bury for anything you may forget. Make sure you have mucking out equipment, and a box to stand on for plaiting/ mounting.

Plenty of blankets if you are sleeping in lorry/ trailer, and a woolly hat! Oh and flip flops if you're planning to use the showers!

Don't be afraid to make friends with those around you, and they'll surely lend you small things you forget.

maximoo

Visit site
I use to double check my tick list of twice make sure if being dropped off you have all your horses paperwork (i had to turn back when forgot ) lucky realised not far from home ,def loo roll wet wipes always handy,sometimes the simplest of things you forget, make sure you dont forget to leave clean stable when you leave as many shows fine if you don't hope you have a good competition enjoy

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Thank you all very much!

Having dealt with strangles at a yard I am.well versed in biosecurity (both thankfully and sadly). The list of times is a fantastic idea, especially with 4 of us to organise.

I had also clocked the shop on site, though I have done XC bareback due to no girth so dont think I will do that again.

Its all a bit real now. :) The waiting is murder, I just want to get there!

Cowpony

Visit site
Plastic bags to bring back clean/unused hay and bedding. I didn't keep the shavings bags at my last stay away show, and ended up chucking 7 barrow loads of almost clean shavings into the muck heap 😣

humblepie

Visit site
I've not stayed over at Bury Farm but some baler twin is always a good idea in case you need an additional tie up or something in the stable. I have a an over the door bridle hook which is useful to hang up by the stable if there is a suitable place for putting stuff on to keep it clean be it jacket, bridle etc.

conniegirl

Visit site
Rugs for horses, lots and lots of rugs for horses! if the horses don't need them they are useful for anyone camping in a tent/lorry.

apple juice or sugarbeet - if you have not done a stay away show I would be taking some of that with you, some horses can refuse to drink strange water, or take a dislike to a certain bucket etc, pouring apple juice into it normally gets them drinking again, or soupl like sugarbeet is useful for rehydrating them.

a leather punch, very very useful, highly reccomended that at least one goes with you as lots of last minute tack emergencies can be fixed with a leather punch.

plaiting bands - can be used for a whole host of repairs as well as fixing plaits.

Horse passports, any rider medical info that is needed, car/lorry passes if needed, directions/satnav reference.

madamebonnie

Visit site
We'll see you there! If you want somewhere to dump your stuff my team is heading down in 3 trailers so can happily let you use one to store rugs (tack!?) Ect. Wont be secure but will be dry! Drop me a pm and we can swop numbers if you like.

TheHairyOne

Visit site
We'll see you there! If you want somewhere to dump your stuff my team is heading down in 3 trailers so can happily let you use one to store rugs (tack!?) Ect. Wont be secure but will be dry! Drop me a pm and we can swop numbers if you like.

I've no idea how to double quote, but thank you so so much for the very kind offer!

Pm sent!

Look for the team with the weirdest combo of horses and its probably us. :D