1st Time One Day Event Help Needed!!

scrumpygus

Visit site
Hi - i am doing my 1st ode in a few weeks and i know i will call for my dressage time - do you get a showjumping and xc time aswell? also in the showjumping phase is it one round against the clock and least faults/best time gives the best score? also on the xc is that the fastest time round - sorry so many questions - would appreciate any help - it is unaff and equivalent to prenovice i have been told!

ldlp111

Visit site
you get all your times for dressage sj and xc. showjumping you usually hav a optimum time as long as you are inside no time faults and xc is usually thesame altho i think you have to get as close to time as poss if you go too fast you get penalised, its to stop people galloping round.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
AFAIK yes you will probably be given times for XC and SJ but you might just have to turn up in the collecting ring and put your number down.

SJ is timed and if you are outside the optimum time window you will be given penalties.

XC again there is an optimum time, you will be penalised for going too fast or too slow. Speed required in metres per minute should be posted on course plan.

ajf

Visit site
You will ring and get a number (maybe even section, which will indicate which dressage arena to do your test in), dressage, showjumping and xc times.
Your dressage score will be your basic score. And the lower the better.
The SJ is one round. 4pens are added to your basic score per fence down, 4 for a stop and there may be a time limit (ie go over get 1pen per sec) but there might not be (usually quite generous).
The xc may or may not be timed again (will state in schedule). You will have 20pen added to your basic score for every stop xc, and time pens are generally 0.4pen per second over the optiumn time.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
re. the time limits, they are usually are quite easy to get round within the time, some you do have to push a bit for but at unaffiliated level you just need to go at a good canter to get within the time, so dont worry about that!
and you ring for all your times, dressage,xc and sj....
good luck and let us know how it goes!!

scrumpygus

Visit site
sorry - 1 more thing - is there a set order ie dressage then xc then showjumping - i have seen on tv thats the order but i am at such a low level is it the same?

kirstyfk

Visit site
Don't be afraid to tell the organiser that it is your first ODE or to ask questions. They would rather you asked than get eliminated for an error such as taking a stick into the dressage.