2 acres, how to manage for 2 horses?

Horses24-7

Visit site
Basically as the title says! It's currently split into 2.

Was hoping to be able to manage it in a way I could leave them out over summer? Do you think this is doable? Will have stables to bring them into over winter etc if needed.

Thanks x

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I think it is totally manageable, people manage horses on very little land. Yes they say 1.5 acres for the first horse and about 1 acre for each extra horse but this does not mean to say you cannot manager with less.
I am not an expert here but it can be done

alligator40

Visit site
i would keep them on 1acre in summer and strip graze and 1/2 in winter, then rotate to the next year.
I'm assuming your Horses come in of a night during the winter months?
I currently have 4 natives, 2 and 3 yr olds, on 2/3rds of an acre. They are barned at night for 15 hrs and are back out again come rain or shine. They have been on this paddock since October
It does depend on your soil though.
If its clay, you will struggle if I'm honest.

horsey mad matt

Visit site
yeah that should be more than enough aslong as it is well drained. i keep my boy on 1.5 acres. a 1/2 acre field and a 1acre split into two with eleccy fencing. (great stuff) and as long as you rotate and don't let 1 bit over grazed, because the more grazed it is the longer it takes to grow it will be fine. :D

soloequestrian

Visit site
Look at Jaime Jackson's 'Paddock Paradise' - it's aimed at barefoot horses (the best way to be), but there is no reason it wouldn't be useful for shod horses too. He describes a track system - I use a track for mine in the summer when there is plenty of grass, and then they have the whole field in winter to reduce poaching. On a relatively small area, you could always rest the track for the winter. It's a way of looking at it differently anyway!

sea_view

Visit site
I have mine split into 3. One currently not in use at all and won't be until summer. Managing the other two, weeks on and off and will get them harrowed etc in Spring when the horses will move onto the part that was kept so the other two bits get a short change to recover.

horsey mad matt

Visit site
Look at Jaime Jackson's 'Paddock Paradise' - it's aimed at barefoot horses (the best way to be), but there is no reason it wouldn't be useful for shod horses too. He describes a track system - I use a track for mine in the summer when there is plenty of grass, and then they have the whole field in winter to reduce poaching. On a relatively small area, you could always rest the track for the winter. It's a way of looking at it differently anyway!

just out of interest probably a silly question but what is the track system?? :eek:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I should think so, although it will depend to some extent on the quality of your land. You will probably have to supplement your summer grazing with extra forage. We are keeping 5 out in Summer and in for 12 hrs per day, in winter, on 3 acres, although some years we do borrow grazing from a neighbour.

Horses24-7

Visit site
Thanks! It's on a slope so drainage is good so hopefully I will be ok then.

Were not able to fertilise the land with chemicals as the land is registered organic. How are we best to maintain it. Have no idea when to chain harrow etc!!

X

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
If you have some money I would advise fencing off a small area near to the stables and laying down hardcore and topping with sand. This will give you a turnout area for when it is too wet in the winter. It would save your paddocks being poached up and your horses still get to go out.

Hippona

Visit site
I have 3 horses and 2 acres of grazing.....with a small yard also.

I have an area fenced off for winter use...they are currently in that with hay whilst the grass rests/grows. This area gets totally trashed- I rest it the rest of the year and it grows back nicely...if the grass gets too long I let them in to mow it down.

The rest is divided into 3 areas....one is nice and rectangular and I ride in this also. I rotate them around regularly, poo-pick daily and bring in at night all year round.

TGM

Visit site
I have three horses on 2.5 acres with reasonably good drainage. After trial and error over 14 years I have found that the best way to manage it is to use electric fencing to section off one small area at a time (say quarter to half an acre) to be rested and weedkilled/fertilised if necessary. I did try just dividing the whole field in half but found that the bit in use got really badly trashed before the rested half was really ready to be used.

The horses are usually in at night November to February/March (depending on weather) and out at nights the rest of the time, just coming in for a few hours in the middle of the day.

Visit site
I currently have 2 little ponies and 1 bigger pony on 1.5 acres and the ground isn't cut up, it isn't too muddy and the ponies are all happy so this shows it can be done! We have fenced it off into three paddocks at the moment. We have a small paddock in front of the main gate which is being rested so that they can't stand near the gate and churn it up. We put hay out twice a day at the minute and they have access to a field shelter. We also poo pick at least every other day. I think it helps that none of them tend to run around much and none of them are wearing shoes.

It's amazing what you can do with a small paddock if you manage it properly.

akashapachamama

Visit site
Have a look at this http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=60335&id=100000191344143

Very effective way of managing horses. Keeps them fitter, great for laminitics, EMS and IR. Middle can be used for foggage if required.

Is this your paddock paradise?

I am a big fan of Jamie Jacksons system. I put my girls o it from the beginning of spring to late autumn. one has lami, the other EMS, and they havent looked so good or been so well in years! Now that I've seen the benfits I dont think i'll ever go back to traditional grazing.
I definitely recommend it!

canteron

Visit site
I have 2 half acre paddocks and 1 acre paddock and that seems to work as a rotation to give everything a chance to rest.

It is worth putting hardcore in all gateways - you can't afford to lose too much land through poaching, etc.

CazD

Visit site
If you have some money I would advise fencing off a small area near to the stables and laying down hardcore and topping with sand. This will give you a turnout area for when it is too wet in the winter. It would save your paddocks being poached up and your horses still get to go out.

We do this. we have 4 (15hh, 14.2hh, 13.3hh and 12hh) natives kept on 2.4 acres. Through the summer they are strip grazed as they are all good doers. We dont need to give any additional forage. Through the winter they have the hardcored area and a "sacrifice" area of paddock which gets rolled, harrowed and reseeded through the summer. They do need a lot of hay through the winter as the sacrifice area becomes very muddy - but we are on heavy clay soil!

Supertrooper

Visit site
so is it basically just a wide track around the field and they stay on that?? :confused:

As far as i understand it yes, we are going to try it this year with two very different types so the good doer will go on the track and the oldie that always needs to gain weight will go in middle.

Our field is on a slope and then flattens out at the bottom so our track is going to run all along bottom and then up one side of field. We don't want to use the other side (ie so it would run all the way round) as that side is clover. I think it will work well and in my understanding basically means they have to move more to eat therefore exercising and also restricts grass intake. For a 16.3hh shire x just felt it would keep him strip grazed or muzzled.

Because of his size we are doing reasonable size strips so he has room to turn round easily and not feel restricted.

diamondrockharvey

Visit site

I second a Track System!!

My ponies are on a track system and thrive on it.
The track keeps them moving all of the time and keeps the ponies fit and warmed up ready for play or excercise too!!
And it can stop your horses from being 'hot' since they are using their natural instinct and travelling all day long around the track!
Plus if you use electric tape to make your track you can move it around as much as you like to rest areas of the field.
Definitely recommended!!! :D