2 horses to choose from - which one?!

webble

Visit site
Mare for me too. They tend to bond with a person and be loyal so once you are her person and she trusts youu you will probably find she is ok.

I used to work with a driving cob who as cut late and he was actually more bolshy than the stallion!! I would go and meet both see if you can bring them in and groom them both and see how you feel

elijahasgal

Visit site
Simply put, you not met either yet, you might "click" with one, which is the one that I would go for. Either that or even though the breeding is what you like, you might not actually like either.
I would try and get a chance to spend some time with them and get to know them first and see what happens

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I would be inclined to go for the stallion / gelding . I prefer to work with the boys anyway and I find horses with a bit more confidence in their temperament are far easier to introduce to new things- having said that, the mare may find her feet once she's settled in but I still find the boys tend to be more consistent. If the mares I've owned are anything to go by- they have all been stubborn, moody pain the backsides!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Well the owners just told me that the mare is now sold! So I guess that takes away that decision for me! Will be going to look at the stallion who is apparently booked in for the chop so that's another big issue out of the way. Hope I like him!

Toz

Visit site
I hope you like him too! But if you don't click- remember there are plenty other fish in the sea :)
Good luck

mynutmeg

Visit site
View both and go with gut instinct

This for definite

Interesting point Toz...

hnmisty, ok good idea. I dont really have any "wouldn't touch with a bargepole" points, I'm pretty flexible to be honest as long as they have 4 legs etc.! So here goes from what I know about them so far:-

* Mare pros - Might develop a better relationship with her for Toz's reason. Is grey and I always have it in my head that "you never get a bad grey"! Looks sweet in the photo although I've not seen a decent pic of the male yet. She's cheaper!
* cons - Is shy / nervous and not been handled much so will potentially take quite a long time to gain her trust and possibly take longer at each stage.

* Stallion pros - Already very friendly and easy to handle so could get going straight away. Is better bred jumping-line wise. Is coloured, so this opens up potentially being able to do coloured showing classes (the mare is solid coloured and generally Iberian x's are hard to do showing with as no classes suit particularly!).
* cons - Will need to spend money to have him gelded, may remain stalliony (is that a word?!) for a while which might cause a problem as will be living with other horses, might be quite arrogant / pushy as gelded late. Am not a massive fan of warmbloods which is what he is crossed with!

To be honest, I'd probably take both if I could so I hate having to choose. Its so hard! Wish I could fast forward a year!

but based on your pros and cons I think the mare may be the better fit for you - best thing is go an meet them and go from there :)

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Go and see both lunged and look at movement. Even before looking, I'd go for the boy purely because I find them easier or as someone said to me once 'stupider' :eek3: and therefore more likely to do as asked.