2 questions on arthritis

ynneb

Visit site
Is Cortaflex of any use for established arthritis?
Should I use stable bandages on my mare's arthritic knees? I have just been told that legs should always be left unbandaged as warmth is bad for the tendons. I'm confused as I always thought it sensible to keep arthritic legs warm.

wonkey_donkey

Visit site
I have a horse with established arthritic hocks and knees and I would say that Cortaflex and the like have limited benefit from experience. I use a small steady dose of bute, and bandage legs all round when its cold. I have found that Global Herbs Movefree Plus is quite good as this works differently that gloucosamine etc.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
My boy has arthritis in both hocks and one of his front legs. (He probably has it in the other front leg too, but had no need to investigate that leg yet). He is on a glucosamine supplement and it probably has helped, but to be honest, I think the biggest benefit has been turning him out 24/7. Since going out, his mobility has improved so much. He isn't bandaged at all, and so far in this cold weather, has shown no ill effects.

OrangeEmpire

www.equestrian-portrait.com
My arthritic TB is on Cortaflex and NoBute. The combination seems to keep him happy. If he seems in need of a bit of extra TLC I put stable bandages as an extra pampering. Seem to help him when he needs that bit of extra care. I suspect this is psychological!

His arthritis is in his neck and it definately helps to keep that part warmer - he has a fleecy neck cover under his turnout and a magnetic-therapy neck cover before and after exercise. perhaps magnetic leg wraps might help your horse? Be careful of over bandaging her knees though as mobility is v important to stop them seizing up.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
My horse is pretty arthritic everywhere!! He sounds like bubble wrap being popped some mornings when he moves.

He is on pure Glucosamine, cod liver oil and cider vinegar which I give him in the evening as well as one bute. He is turned out 12 hours a day which definately do help.

He was on Cortaflex but to be honest I'm not so sure it did that much good.

I think there is a huge difference between hot tendons and warm tendons if that makes sense. I always worry about my horses's getting too hot because he did a tendon but I'm sure warm is fine so don't worry on that score. Whatever makes your horse comfy and happy is the most important.

collie

Visit site
Hi,
Most of these supplements are limited in what they can achieve although they can help a little. There is no cure for the complaint apart from pain management as it is for humans. Keeping on the move all the time along with a supplement and liberal use of bute i have found to be the best policy. I have found cod liver oil type things as good as any. The man that finds a cure for arthritis will be a millionaire over night. My father who was a farrier was riddled with it and he just worked every day that stopped him getting stiff and sore, drastic but he went on for years.

ynneb

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. At present she is having a daily bute, cider vinegar, Hilton Herbs Veteran and Gold Label 3 Oils. I would love to leave her out 24/7 but there is no shelter at all in her paddock and as I am on DIY livery at a local farm there is no alternative. She seems very happy at the moment although unfortunately not rideable. Thanks again for the very useful advice.

ThomasTank

Visit site
I find the homeopathic preperation of arnica, ruta and rhus tox 30 twice daily will give a marked improvement to your horses arthiritis.
grin.gif

pocomoto

Visit site
Instead of bandaging you could try neoprene knee boots instead, or go a bit further and introduce magnetic or copper inserts in the knee boots for therapy.

ThomasTank

Visit site
You can get them mail order from Helios in Tunbridge wells.
They are very helpful. My horse is on them for his arthiritis and he is getting on for 30 but feels like a youngster again
grin.gif

FAR better that all the other stuff that costs a fortune IMO.
Off the top of my head the number is 01892 510950. That is the receptionist and she will give you the orders number
grin.gif

ynneb

Visit site
Have just received the Arnica, rhus tox and ruta from Helios - very helpful and efficient company. I have also ordered magnetic leg wraps from Aerborn. Will let you know if I end up with a rideable horse!

ThomasTank

Visit site
You should notice a difference within a couple of days, she will be walking out much better and wont be so stiff.
Tip the pillules into the lid and into the feed. Dont tip them into your hand.
Please let me know how you get on.
grin.gif

You can PM me if you like
grin.gif