200kgs - heavy enough for a grass roller?

posie_honey

Visit site
I've been offered a roller at a good price -

Specifications:

Overall Width: 1625mm

Working Width: 1524mm

Total Weight Filled with Water: 200kg

Durable powder-paint finish

Minimum parts to assemble

Able to grease the bearing block

But is 200kgs heavy enough to roll a pretty poached but light soil (sand) field?

It is to tow behind a Honda big red so I could go heavier I think...

Dry Rot

Visit site
If it's sandy soil, I would think harrowing would be more important. I have a ten foot water filled roller behind the tractor and it does not make much impression on my fields, to be honest.

When I re-seeded a field, the local agricultural college adviser told me to drive around and around with the tractor as the best method of rolling. I thought he was kidding and bought the roller. Then I saw how much better the take was where the tractor tyres had left an impression! Now I use the drive around and around method. The roller just pushes a ridge of sand in front without much squashing.

I would think your 200kgs roller would be a waste of time. If you harrow, sandy lumps should soon disintegrate with a couple of days of rain.

posie_honey

Visit site
Ah is not that sandy! Right next to sand and gravel Quary but a good layer of top soil - it's just not heavy like clay etc ;)

Thanks for advice - I'll look for a heavier one or see if I can get a farmer with a small tractor to come in and roll for me - problem is they are usually too busy when it's dry enough to do!

I'll try the drive around idea on my quad and see if that helps at all :)