2011- Can we cancel please?

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
I'm sorry, not CR but just need to talk... just received the most awful news that a young girl at my old yard was injured and died today. :(

She was found unconscious with head injuries on the track from the field with her horse running loose, no one was with her at the time and police are investigating but it seems she has been kicked in the head. She never made it to the hospital. :(

She was only 16, the horse was not "the type" to play up or mess about when being led, such an ordinary thing to do that we all do without thinking about it.

Just gutted- for her, her family, friends and all the folk at my old yard. She was a lovely girl and a fab wee rider. :(

2011 just keeps getting worse... I'd like to cancel and skip forward to 2012 please. :(

juliap

Visit site
Such tragic news, thoughts to everyone who knew her. A real shock for all concerned.

It does show how unpredictable life is & a reminder to enjoy all that we are blessed with.

So so sorry to hear of such a young life lost

FigJam

I'm just in shock, still shaking half an hour after speaking to my friend (still at old yard) who told me about it. I moved away from the yard in August last year, but had been there 2-3 years before moving and so was around her a lot when there. A really lovely girl and just a completely freak accident. Just proves you can never tell what these unpredictable animals can do, no matter how well you think you know/trust them. :(

now_loves_mares

Visit site
I'm not surprised you're in shock. You hear these things and think "how very sad" but somehow never expect them to happen to people you actually know :( My heart goes out to her family.

Let me know if I can do anything, although not sure what that can be other than an ear for you. I'm not sure if you have any in the house, but a tiny bit of brandy really does help with shock.

diggerbez

Visit site
oh no thats horrible :(:( thoughts to her family and friends. the one comforting thing is that she probably didn't know much about it and will have been looking forward to riding her horse.... very tragic though :(

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
That's just horrendous :-( So, so sorry to hear that. It just serves as a reminder as to how unpredictable and dangerous even the most placid animals are. I had a friend a couple of years ago (worked with horses for decades) and she was found face down in a deep muddy puddle, flat out. She's gone to turn her (normally) calm horse out - horse had flicked out hind legs and kicked her in the head. She was so fortunate someone found her. Didn't look too pretty and lots of stitches involved, but she at least survived.

Agree with fast forwarding to 2012!

FigJam

the one comforting thing is that she probably didn't know much about it and will have been looking forward to riding her horse.... very tragic though :(

Yes, I said that to my friend, it sounds like it was quick and she was unconscious the whole time so she'd have had very little knowledge of anything that happened. Her Aunt is the YM there... no idea if she will manage to carry on running the yard there after this. :(

Apparently the horse is being sent straight to a dealer once police finished investigating, farrier coming out tomorrow first thing to remove shoes for police to take away. :( It really is totally out of character for the horse though, must have been massively spooked by something, just shows it's not just the "nutty" horses we need to be careful with.

Leg_end

Visit site
How awful. Condolances to all involved, and hugs for you too.

Gotta feel sorry for the horse too though - s/he is probably in shock too :( I got kicked in the head last September and I was so so lucky to get away scott free.

FigJam

...can understand about the horse, but feel sorry for the label it is now bound to have, any horse has that potential.

Yes, I agree. Can understand why it would be incredibly difficult (impossible) to still work with "the reason" your loved one isn't around, but also know (and hope I would realise deep down) that it's not their "fault" and they are unpredictable animals who operate by instinct, not rational thought/logic. :(

So sorry to hear this, I know just how you feel ( I think) when I got a horrible phone call last month to say my wonderful younger cousin had been killed in a car crash. It just never seems to make any sense does it? :(

Sadly, I experienced similar 5 years ago (except an even closer friend), hearing a news story about 2 climbers going missing in a storm in the Cairngorms. My first thought was "gosh, I hope Cooper (my friend) doesn't know them, he'll be upset if they're his friends". Then getting a call the next morning from my friend saying it was actually Cooper and they'd found him (plus the other climber) but too late. :( It was top news story on local tv/radio/papers and even the Metro paper had a photo of him being loaded into the helicopter to go to hospital. You just don't think those kind of things will happen to people close to you. :(

Took ages trying to "switch off" my brain last night, but thank you for all the kind messages and thoughts, it's just so sad. :(

Baydale

Visit site
How awful and so terribly sad, especially as she was so young with her whole life ahead of her. :( It really puts things into perspective, doesn't it, with all our petty whingeing and moaning?