2012 olympic site under review & danger of EQ being dropped in future

Quarrybank

Visit site
This was the headline on all the evening standard news-stands tonight.
Questions over the 2012 olympic site at Greenwich park, plus the damage done by the positive dope tests.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-o...park/article.do

Looks like there's a lot of work to do to keep Equestrian in the Olympics & improve the image of all our sports
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Major warning from Princess Heya in todays H+H too. Im no fan of Greenwich purely because I feel it would be better to invest money long term but if the in fighting and scandals dont stop we are going to lose out altogether very soon.

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
As a keen rider and shooter, I'd much rather see £40m put into Hickstead, and £25m put into bisley - both ready and waiting venues who are more than caperble of putting on an olympic competition.

Is this labours last blow to the countryside? That equestrianism and shooting be thrown out of the olympics altogether? That our hugely expensive venues will fail to exist by 2013?

Lets hope Brown cocks up big time and we get rid of them sooner rather than later. I don't think I could stand the shame of living in the country that hosted the last ever equestrian olympics
frown.gif
frown.gif

AutumnRose

Visit site
''The culprit in each case was capsaicin, a derivative of chilli peppers which can be spread on a horse's legs to hypersensitise the animal and make him jump more cleanly.''

That is a terrifying thing to see in a national newspapaer,makes me seriously worried about the implications.....
frown.gif

lar

Visit site
OT but the Standard is not a national newspaper. There are other areas of the country apart from London and the SE you know!!

weevil

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is this labours last blow to the countryside? That equestrianism and shooting be thrown out of the olympics altogether? That our hugely expensive venues will fail to exist by 2013?

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't think that you can blame this on the Labour government. What sports are included in the olympics is the decision of the IOC and not the government of the hosting country.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I could stand the shame of living in the country that hosted the last ever equestrian olympics
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well if equestrian sports are kicked out before 2012 (as Princess Haya suggested in H&H today) then you won't have that problem...

Daffodil

Visit site
Whilst it continues to be part of the Olympics I shall cheer all our teams on, stay up all night to watch, and keep everything crossed that they succeed, but equally I don't have a problem if it was decided to remove it all from the Olympics.
My personal view is that the real traditional highlights of the eventing calendar are Worlds, Europeans, Badminton and Burghley and that the Olympics cause nothing but trouble. The lead-up to HK, brilliant competition though it was in the end, was fraught with concerns about the climate and welfare. A strong element of luck played its part in the success of the Event too. Personally I think the choice of Greenwich, simply so that we have an impressive background with the Queen's House encased in a grandstand (as illustrated in the Telegraph yesterday), is utterly absurd and over the past couple of months I have asked Lord Coe (twice) for an explanation of the criteria for choosing it, and various other involved persons, and have yet to receive a reply from any of them.

Serenity087

Now would I be a Kentish lass, or a lass of Kent?
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't think that you can blame this on the Labour government. What sports are included in the olympics is the decision of the IOC and not the government of the hosting country.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I could stand the shame of living in the country that hosted the last ever equestrian olympics
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well if equestrian sports are kicked out before 2012 (as Princess Haya suggested in H&H today) then you won't have that problem...

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a labour team who have decided which areas of the country play host to which events. If the equestrianism is hosted at Greenwich it's going to be crap, no other word really.

Same with the shooting. They'd have to close south circular in case people got shot? What sort of shoite planning is that!?!?!

And tbh, having lived up there, there'd probably be more people dying outside than people wielding guns inside, reguardless of the state of the SC...

The Voice

Visit site
Interesting that there is a quote from Pippa Cuckson who is now the marketing person for Great Leighs racecourse - which I think is the ideal site for showjumping & Dressage due to close links to Stratford (M11). Stansted and Harwich docks and will have a legacy afterwards for international events. It was touted at some stage as an alternative for Nation cups by the owner who was a showjumper and a member of the BSJA board who wanted to build a huge all weather arena.

With regards to the doping thing, I hope the FEI use common sense and are backed by federations in the cases where accidental use and was not performance enhancing was made of the substance and let any medals stand. The riders have missed out individually which is a big enough ban and a last warning to others otherwise it could be a massive PR own goal (which it already is) with regards to the olympics.

BBH

Visit site
I don't have strong views either way on location, but it would be an enormous waste of money if used on a venue with no lasting legacy. Greenwich is too small and I think the funds used to develop it would be better spent elsewhere.

Re the doping issue - its a great shame and I always think the media ' big up' these stories but if you put it into perspective can these supposed drugs really make such a difference to a horses performance.

lucretia

Visit site
No surprise here and she is a muppet if she thinks equestrian will be in greenwich park. if everybody does not get behind a move for eventing at least horse sport in general is in danger. i think eventing will go, the other two will stay for 2012 then go and since the games wher annouced i have said all this many times. Princess haya is not a londoner, but i am, from that area, family stil live in blackheath, lewisham etc etc and it will not happen.
i knew kate green wouldnt miss princess haya's veiled reference to this subject in hong kong. good on you kate.

Bossanova

Visit site
There was a lot of talk about re-location and 'those in the know' seemed to think it was definitely on the move so we shall wait and see.....

spaniel

Visit site
And all those actually INVOLVED with planning the games are saying it wont move. I think its way too late now but we shall see.

bbobbell

New User
Visit site
Aren't the rowing events to be held at Dorney Lake in Eton. That being the case why wasn't Windsor picked? The all weather surface could be left in place from the May show and we all know about the Great Park.

I live in London and visited the Observatory and Maritime Museum with my wife last summer. I just cannot work out the cross country course there and the area for the main arena is a bit tight. I don't think it will work (I did at first but have changed since my visit). The crowds will have to be very limited and it will be used to show that there is a lack of support Equestrianism in the Olympics. Lets face it the IOC are no great fans are they.

I do agree that we could easily lose eventing from London and this government are no fans of shooting either.

On another note not picked up on. If China are allowed to shift the Equestrianism to Hong Kong why the fuss about moving the London Equestrian to somewhere like Windsor or Hickstead or even Goodwood (closere to the sailing). I smell a stitch up coming on

bandit

Visit site
I agree that if the Beijing games can put the equestrian in another country (HK were seperatly represented than the Chinese themselves!!!), then what is the fuss with not being able to relocate to another more suitable venue.

I cannot see Greenwich being a lasting legacy, what with the new laws about taking lorries into London etc, many of which don't conform to the new exhaust legislation etc... How can anyone host an event there after the Olympics with the the costs that will go with it???

I totally agree that as the sailing is being held in Weymouth, and not in the mouth of the Thames, then surely we need to consider this further....

It would be sad not to have the money that will go into this Olympics not benifitting the competitors long term.... Just look at Athens now - the pool is empty and it's being 'lived' in by those not able to afford normal housing - it's a slum.... Not a great thing to have after the money poured into an olympic venue....

I really hope the venues for equestrianism (and shooting and therefore pentatholon) are sorted out and to the advantage of those who compete in these sports more often than once every 4 years.....

Bx

Faithkat

Visit site
I think the positive dope testing thing is merely an attempt at a justification of a possible decision to drop equestrian events at future Olympics. Let's face it, there has been an enormous amount of positive drug testing in athletics over the years [and cycling, for that matter], but no-one has ever suggested dropping either of them. I would also question the inclusion of some "sports" such a synchronised swimming, rhythmic gymnastics (acrobatic circus tricks), BMX bike riding and water polo, none of which have a large national participation unlike riding which is enjoyed by something like 10% (?) of the population. I also don't think that the reference made by Princess Haya that "We in horse sport tend to cater for an elite group . . . " is particularly helpful either. I thought all responsible horsey people were trying to get away from the "elite" label which is slapped on us by those outside equestrianism (in any of its facets).

Like others have said too, I went to Greenwich Park last year and I really cannot imagine how the IOC think they are going to fit in a suitable arena, cross country course, warm-up areas, stabling, lorry parks and grandstands . . . . . Why on earth they couldn't use Hickstead I cannot begin the imagine. All it would need would be a relatively tiny investment in some better grandstands and we would then have a world class facility capable of hosting events like WEG. But no, it's "privately owned" and heaven forbid that some investment could be made that was useful. No, the IOC prefer to spend a ludicrous sum of money on a temporary facility for 2 weeks which will not benefit anyone in the future.

cefyl

Visit site
They want to keep the LONDON Olympics just that.... for LONDON only. B*@@"! the rest of the country. Sad. This is probably the only time in the next 60 - 100 yrs it will be held on British soil, where as countries like the USA manage to get a vote for one every other decade (well not quite but it seems like that).

Even Hartpury would make more sense than Greenwich, or another college with a basic infrastructure in place large enough to support the equine events. Then the money plowed into the upgrading to Olympic level would at least be of use to our students education after and not a total waste like Greenwich. That is literally throwing money away into a venue that would have no use or purpose afterwards.

toffeesmarty

Visit site
Three years ago I was working in London on the day the announcement was made. I travelled to Trafalgar Squre to savour the news where I shed a tear of joy that, at last I would be able to attend an Olympics. When I got home that night my daughter jumped into my arms and said 'We will go won't we - like when we went to Bleneim and lived in the lorry so we could support the GB team?' I still hope that both of these dreams will happen - but there is a chance that they won't. Why?
1 The worse case scenario is that some or all of the equestrian events will get thrown out of London
2 Grenwich will be too small to accomodate the potential audience and ticket demand that exists in the UK.

How very, very sad.

lucretia

Visit site
the organising comittee can plan as much as they want, it is the IOC who decide which sports are included. London can express a preference via its representative on that body, but the end descision is not the organisers. and nothing to do with the goverment either, other than they will need an act of parliament if they wish to use blackheath as part of the equestrian venue (common land etc).
and spaniel, the athens organisers bid for and planned for long format eventing. the IOC dropped it in 2002, before badminton and burghley did as it happens.
Bejing bid and planned for equestrian in China, despite the fact they didnt have the appropriate veterinary status. equestrian was only moved AFTER athens.
in other words there is plenty of time for either a change of venue or too lose atleast one, if not all, equestrian disciplines. as i keep saying it is my belief eventing will go, but thedope test thing has helped no-one's case for keeping the others in either.

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I also don't think that the reference made by Princess Haya that "We in horse sport tend to cater for an elite group . . . " is particularly helpful either. I thought all responsible horsey people were trying to get away from the "elite" label which is slapped on us by those outside equestrianism (in any of its facets).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Princess Haya has a VERY valid point in regards to the elite status of ALL equestrian disciplines.

Eventing is the 'cheap' option to get into the games on horseback...but you still won't do it without a horse that costs a £100k+. As for the showjumping and dressage disciplines.....a cool £million will just about get you a ride...but it won't be competitive.

Are there ANY other sports in the olympic games that require that sort of funding to get you suitably equipped to compete ?

Barring F1 motorsport or offshore powerboat racing, there can't be too many other sports that require the sort of financial outlay that equestrian sports do
shocked.gif

toffeesmarty

Visit site
I don't know how much in £s but I remember hearing that the cycling team have invested hundreds of thousands in technology (including help from F1 teams) to get the wheel power which helped them to be so succesful in China. Other sports do require significant money but it just isn't so obvious and is therefore more acceptable with the media. Also - if these sports go on to get medals the funding is more acceptable, which we didn't and haven't outside of eventing for a while...
frown.gif

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
The cycling does require £000000s but at least that technology is then available to the whole team, the prob with the equestrian is its for each horse....

I desperately want the equine sports to remain, if only cos I think they should as being one of the few sports where women compete on absolutely level terms with men.

But there is a real issue.

argyle

www.southerncrossstud.com
But surely most of the team members will have worked and trained with their horses for a number of years? Yes this will also involve taking advantage of the money spent on team trainers, vets, physios, etc etc but this also happens in other sports. I know these horses end up being worth huge aounts but its not like Anky or Isobel went out and spent a couple of million each last year in order to be competitive in Hong Kong. The horses are worth the money because of the skill and training involved by these riders as well as their own natural talent and breeding which are the bits that the riders will have paid for initially.

Rambo

Visit site
Even the untrained 'raw talent' required to make a top dressage horse or SJ'er will usually cost a six figure sum...and don't be fooled into believing that horses aren't just bought for a championship ! Pilgrim was sold to Norway with the specific aim of him jumping the olympics...he didn't make the team. Arielle was sold before the World Cup finals specifically to jump there. Even our own Mistral Hojris was reportedly bought for a seven figure sum albeit 4 years ago
shocked.gif

Faithkat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
2 Grenwich will be too small to accomodate the potential audience and ticket demand that exists in the UK.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was exactly my thought while watching the x-country from Hong Kong. There seemed to be hardly anyone there and I commented to my son that I wondered just how many extra people would want to go to the London Olympics given the huge crowds we already get for Badminton, Burghley and Blenheim.

Karen_Spinner

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your views on this topic. The debate surrounding Greenwich and the future of horse sports in the Olympic movement is subject to a special news report in this week’s H&H (on sale 4 September), which I do hope you find informative.

Best wishes,
Karen Spinner
Acting deputy editor