2016 Foals Due

Custard Cream

Visit site
Thought it might be nice to keep a list of what is due and when. First time Foal Mum here so would be good to speak with more experienced folk! I'll start.

Dam: ID x TB (Farrah x Rich Rebel)
Sire: Avanti Amorous Archie
Due Date: 18th April 2016

This will be the second foal for the mare. She's had all her EHV injections and will be wormed next month. Quite excited!

paddi22

Visit site
I have a surprise foal due in summer (i think) from a sulkie racer mare i got from a charity. Haven't a clue what will come out, but the mare is a lovely, pretty thing so fingers crossed Daddy was ok. Never done a home birth before so very excited now!

Equi

Visit site
Miniature horse mare due July 12th. My first foal but she's had a few. Home bred by my stallion so I've been there from the very start 🤗

FAC3856D-AF25-4019-AEA7-64838BCBE71F_zpstak6mlvx.jpg

Bec26

Visit site
My ISH mare is due mid May, the Sire is a PRE.

This is her first foal, I didn't think it would be so easy with her being 15 but she took first time.

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
That's not too bad. My old WPB mare had her first at 17, and just popped him out. I still have the foal - he's 23 now!

My ISH mare is due mid May, the Sire is a PRE.

This is her first foal, I didn't think it would be so easy with her being 15 but she took first time.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Thought it might be nice to keep a list of what is due and when. First time Foal Mum here so would be good to speak with more experienced folk! I'll start.

This will be the second foal for the mare. She's had all her EHV injections and will be wormed next month. Quite excited!

Another half brother/sister for Adorable Alice, how exciting. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

ihatework

Visit site
Meep, first time breeder with a maiden mare getting very nervous/excited.

Foal is due 7th April and she is headed off to stud soon.

Balou du Rouet x Bazaars Texas x John O'Gaunt

Mare is my dressage horse, SHBGB main stud book, 278 points and will come back to work after the foal. She is the horse in my avatar

scottyg

Visit site
Waiting anxiously for my mare to foal, due date 19th April. By Ramiro B out of my Harlequin Du Carel Mare. Its her (and mine) first foal

Escada2004

Visit site
scottyg, my friend has a Ramiro B foal due this year to :)

Im a first timer to, my mare has foaled previously in Belgium she is now in foal to Mermus R, she is by Cicero Z out of a Gotthard mare so quite excited :) she is an awesome showjumper, so much scope, i produced her to 1.20m level but sadly injured at 7 so now in foal to give her extra time out (injury was Feb 2014) hoping she comes back competing afterwards :) she is due mid June

Custard Cream

Visit site
How are all the mummies to be doing? My mare is looking pretty round, living out at the moment. I can't wait for the weather to turn and for it to be spring properly!

I bought various bits for the 'Foal Kit', hoping not to need any of it. Am pretty lucky in that my vet lives a mile from the yard.

scottyg

Visit site
Escada do you know her mares breeding? Is your friend on here? Would be fab to swap pics when they arrive safely (positive thoughts going out in the ether) lol. And good luck with your mare too, She will be showing soon! CUSTARD - My mare shown early despite being maiden and deep. She's huge now but I don't know how to upload on here

Asha

Visit site
Waiting anxiously for my mare to foal, due date 19th April. By Ramiro B out of my Harlequin Du Carel Mare. Its her (and mine) first foal

Ooohh, this sounds like a great mix. I was talking to someone very close to Ramiro, and was told he stamps all his stock with the most amazing temperament. Looking forward to photos.

Escada2004

Visit site
scottyg unfortunately her mares breeding isnt recorded so they are unsure but she competed up to 1.30m level BS and is a lovely mare hence putting her in foal :) she isnt on here either. Good luck with everything, exciting times hey! My mare is also Huge already, although she is a good doer and has a lot of bone to, she can live on fresh air even when in work! Dreading how big she will be in another couple of months!

ashlingm

Visit site
I've an RID mare (cream of diamonds x glenagyle rebel) in foal to Gortfree Hero. Due 14th of June :D

This will be her 5th foal and my second. I bought her in 2013 unknowingly in foal....so we had a little summer surprise. Much more organised this time round!

Liath (taken yesterday)
12735705_10153819373935170_1524473458_n-002.jpg

Gortfree Hero
gortfree%20hero.jpg

Her last little surprise :)
4c294f3d-017b-42e0-bdc4-9b50041fbbd8.jpg

scottyg

Visit site
Thank you Asha. I'm certainly hoping it's a good mix, as its not a mix that I've seen more than one of! My mare has a very good temperament so I hope that I'd have to be unlucky to get one that hasn't lol . And of course, pictures are a must lol

GemG

Visit site
Oh how exciting! I was in your position last year with an experienced mare (trakehner) who duly foaled in expert style in the field at 10am ish in front of an audience (who kept a good distance!).

I do recall the nervous run up, checking constantly, bedding her down deep in huge pen every night etc (she waited until she was turned out that morning!) .

Good luck everyone, it's quite an emotional experience (ours is 10 months old now). Where did the time go.

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
Did that foal straighten up ok ?

My word, that brings back memories! My 23-y-old out of my old WPB was born with his front legs (when viewed from the front) in a lovely zig-zag, and his spine so arched he had to launch himself upright when lying down like a dolphin jumping! I remember my vet went haywire recommending plaster casts and all sorts of things. An old neighbour who had bred hunters and steeplechasers all his life and was a county judge told me that was nonsense. He was absolutely right when he said these things tend to sort themselves out and wee Albert was as straight as a die within a week. It's so common in Shetland foals - we just keep them in on concrete for a wee while and bob's your uncle. In nearly 40 years of breeding natives, I've never seen one that didn't come right. I've also seen a lot of TB foals born over at the knee, and after a week or two are nice and straight. It's amazing to see these youngsters unfurl, like a butterfly's wings.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

This is my favourite picture of my Archie filly. You won't be disappointed CC, Archie stamps his foals good and proper. The temperament he puts in is superb, mine was super easy to handle and we did not break her as such, it was more - here is your saddle off you go !, that was last summer. She was turned away over the winter and we got back on her recently and again it was like handling an older horse. I was fortunate enough to meet Archie and Rita when I collected the semen. Archie was so mild and gentle I found myself wondering if he was a stallion !

I wish I was a bit younger, I would love another Archie foal.

IMG_0183_zpscb7d8b6f.jpg

Alice019.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would love to see a pic of her as a grown-up!

I only have scruffy ones as she has been left to grow on and all the time has had to be thrown at my feral carthorse project.

I am hoping she will mature this summer and go out as a small hunter or lightweight show cob.

First time ridden off line
DSCF1761_zpsqnmpxj7l.jpg

Rising 3

10494497_10203552750833510_2816449783634039881_o_zpshvs3arfg.jpg

DSCF0867_zpsyhwmudga.jpg

ashlingm

Visit site
Did that foal straighten up ok ?

My word, that brings back memories! My 23-y-old out of my old WPB was born with his front legs (when viewed from the front) in a lovely zig-zag, and his spine so arched he had to launch himself upright when lying down like a dolphin jumping! I remember my vet went haywire recommending plaster casts and all sorts of things. An old neighbour who had bred hunters and steeplechasers all his life and was a county judge told me that was nonsense. He was absolutely right when he said these things tend to sort themselves out and wee Albert was as straight as a die within a week. It's so common in Shetland foals - we just keep them in on concrete for a wee while and bob's your uncle. In nearly 40 years of breeding natives, I've never seen one that didn't come right. I've also seen a lot of TB foals born over at the knee, and after a week or two are nice and straight. It's amazing to see these youngsters unfurl, like a butterfly's wings.

Yep he did ... He's less than 12 hours old in that picture. I had the vet out that day for a check over and he said he would straighten up in a week...it actually took less! :D

Custard Cream

Visit site
Adorable Alice - absolutely gorgeous! Yes, I made the mammoth trip to visit Archie and Rita. He's gorgeous and his temperament was what swung it for me. This is my first foal and first youngster that will be my own, so I wanted something that would (in theory) be easy to handle and do.

Very excited. My mare is still in a LW rug at the mo....it's below freezing at night here up in County Durham. I can't wait for the weather to turn to get her out of it.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Adorable Alice - absolutely gorgeous! Yes, I made the mammoth trip to visit Archie and Rita. He's gorgeous and his temperament was what swung it for me. This is my first foal and first youngster that will be my own, so I wanted something that would (in theory) be easy to handle and do.

Very excited. My mare is still in a LW rug at the mo....it's below freezing at night here up in County Durham. I can't wait for the weather to turn to get her out of it.

Blimey that was a trip ! Rita is lovely and still keeps in touch, she loves to be get up to date on Archie's babies.

It is exciting, I was unbearable and on foal watch at least 3 weeks too early ! but the satisfaction of being the person who broke the membrane and hearing the first gasp of life will never leave me. Can you tell I have never had children !

Alice was born at 4am on 11th May and we had lovely weather so she was allowed out the day after she was born. My friend is my vet and she was on hand throughout. She said to me to keep an eye on the foal for the first couple of hours when the foal went out. I parked my car adjacent the nursery paddock and got comfortable to watch. Now bearing in mind I had been awake for days and nights for an age I was a little jaded. I fell asleep in the car and managed to slide down the seat. I woke up rather wedged under the steering wheel and had no idea where I was !

I had booked the entire week off and I must have slept for at least 4 days solid. Foal waiting is exhausting, but when the foal is here you can get rid of a lot of time just watching and enjoying.

456_zps093eeae9.jpg

Tetrarch 1911

Visit site
Gosh, she looks as though she could go all day! She looks so sensible and calm. What a lovely lightweight cob she'd make. Are you ever tempted to repeat the mating? The dam has a lot of presence and has such a kind eye. I'm also intrigued by your feral carthorse project!