2017 Foals

Asha

Visit site
whats everyone expecting for 2017 and when are they due ? How are your broodies looking so far ?

I put my WB mare ( Don VHP x Londontimes) mare in foal this year to Ramiro B, shes due in April. Shes still out most of the time, and seems incredibly chilled out and content.

This will be my last foal, as in August I decided to give up.

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Our imported American mare Rita is in foal to the top pacing stallion in the UK and is due at the end of March/beginning of April. Currently living out in the herd, rugged, with ad lib haylage and no hard feed at the moment as it's been so mild. Keeping my fingers crossed for a colt as so far she's had 4 fillies; and also keeping my fingers crossed that the foal turns out a lot nicer than the previous two we've bred by that stallion out of other mares!!

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
Sadly my sports horse mare didn't take so we'll be recovering her this year.

I've got two Foryd bred welsh mares in foal to a son of Tymor Pele.

A Fronarth bred mare and a Wishaw mare in foal to a young welsh stallion who's progeny are doing well in the ring and have good temperaments.

And hopefully my section C should be in foal to the same stallion, though last year she didn't carry to term due to handling when she was away at livery.

All out on ad lib at the moment, some looking bigger than others.

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
Our imported American mare Rita is in foal to the top pacing stallion in the UK and is due at the end of March/beginning of April. Currently living out in the herd, rugged, with ad lib haylage and no hard feed at the moment as it's been so mild. Keeping my fingers crossed for a colt as so far she's had 4 fillies; and also keeping my fingers crossed that the foal turns out a lot nicer than the previous two we've bred by that stallion out of other mares!!

ooohh, I'm keeping fingers crossed for a colt too. Fingers crossed you get the stunner you are after

Sadly my sports horse mare didn't take so we'll be recovering her this year.

I've got two Foryd bred welsh mares in foal to a son of Tymor Pele.

A Fronarth bred mare and a Wishaw mare in foal to a young welsh stallion who's progeny are doing well in the ring and have good temperaments.

And hopefully my section C should be in foal to the same stallion, though last year she didn't carry to term due to handling when she was away at livery.

All out on ad lib at the moment, some looking bigger than others.

Great to hear others are still out , and not being fed. Love welshies, always wanted a section d, but never had the balls !!

Magicmadge

Visit site
I have two Shetlands due in late April / early may. Scans showed both in foal. First due is around 200 days I can feel foal now. One is a small standard the other 33" both maidens!! I'm expecting coloureds or maybe a flashy black from the standard . These will be my last foals and destined for the showring hopefully if good enough .

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
I have two Shetlands due in late April / early may. Scans showed both in foal. First due is around 200 days I can feel foal now. One is a small standard the other 33" both maidens!! I'm expecting coloureds or maybe a flashy black from the standard . These will be my last foals and destined for the showring hopefully if good enough .

How well received are coloured Shetlands? My only direct experience with the breed is the two that my former boss kept as stable companions at the racing yard I worked at - both black, one was a total nightmare who lived up to the breed stereotype! Always interested to find out how native breeds bred with added colour fare. A large number of Standardbreds are now bred for colour which isn't popular amongst us racing purists.

Asha

Visit site

I love shetlands, been thinking about having one when ive got some spare stables. Just so cute and full of character. I am seriously excited about seeing your photos when they are born .

TheMule

Visit site
I put my WB mare ( Don VHP x Londontimes) mare in foal this year to Ramiro B, shes due in April. Shes still out most of the time, and seems incredibly chilled out and content.

That should jump!

My mare (Fleetwater Opposition) is due in June to Escape Z (Emerald x Heartbreaker) She is very well- living out as per usual and doing a bit of gentle hacking to nanny the baby horse. She's technically a maiden (had one biological child by ET) and isn't showing much at the moment. Got a while to go I guess!

Magicmadge

Visit site
Mini coloureds are quite common in the show ring now from where I've been. Coloured standards not so regular competitors, in fact numbers of standard Shetlands in the show ring is often poor I find . However, it's very hard to beat a good black with any other colour. I bred a standard black filly this year and have high hopes in the ring next year with her. There will be plenty of pics , will post a pic of very muddy mums to be later .

Asha

Visit site
That should jump!

My mare (Fleetwater Opposition) is due in June to Escape Z (Emerald x Heartbreaker) She is very well- living out as per usual and doing a bit of gentle hacking to nanny the baby horse. She's technically a maiden (had one biological child by ET) and isn't showing much at the moment. Got a while to go I guess!

Thanks ! I hope so, fingers crossed my last foal is the best !

I do love heartbreakers, the ones ive seen all have a serious amount of talent. Have you bred with eventing in mind ?

Asha

Visit site
My aim is to keep the flash, presence and type but with a level trainable temperament without the sharpness.

If this years foal was anything to go by I think it might just work :)

Fantastic, that's my aim too. Hoping that by using Ramiro B, we get something trainable.

TheMule

Visit site
Thanks ! I hope so, fingers crossed my last foal is the best !

I do love heartbreakers, the ones ive seen all have a serious amount of talent. Have you bred with eventing in mind ?

I evented the dam evented to Intermediate and she SJed very well too- hopefully foaly will eventually do both jobs for me, I have no aspirations of going to the Olympics!
I don't think I'd bother if it were to sell- the market seems appalling

Equi

Visit site
Expecting my first foal from my 32" cream dun broody. I failed to get her in foal two years running, but this year she took all by herself from running with my stallion 24/7 - sometimes in hand doesn't do it! So im very very excited cause its basically guaranteed to be a lovely colour (buckskin stallion) but its also very likely to stay under 34" and because my mare is a bit heavier boned, it will be a great scurry/pleasure driving potential. I don't much expect it to be show potential but thats not why i made the cross. Mum is still loosing a lot of flab, has been all her life, but shes looking okay. I can feel a few flutters now and then, so baby is happy and active. Due May/June i think. I am hoping for a colt so it can be gelded, as i find them more sellable as the type of driving horse i expect to make it.

My other 34" broody is in foal again, to the same stallion. So i expect another brilliant show potential like my last foal - if it comes out the same colour as mum like last foal did, it will be a lovely pair for driving! Only covered in August cause i originally was not going to but stallion was leaving and it would have been a shame to miss him cause of the wonderful foal he already gave me. So i expect it in july some time! Fingers crossed for another filly here, although a colt would be fine too - it would be a great homebred stallion hopefully. But i have not that much land, so i don't plan a big breeding enterprise, and it would not get used much and never here until my old broody goes to the rainbow in about 40 yeras and i have space for a new mare lol

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
Mini coloureds are quite common in the show ring now from where I've been. Coloured standards not so regular competitors, in fact numbers of standard Shetlands in the show ring is often poor I find . However, it's very hard to beat a good black with any other colour. I bred a standard black filly this year and have high hopes in the ring next year with her. There will be plenty of pics , will post a pic of very muddy mums to be later .

My mini stallion beat the local shows every year winning black shetland stallion. I was most shocked. I got called and thought that meant i was excused, and went to leave only to be told i was supreme champ! I don't know of a year that a mini has beat a Shetland at this show before!

Ddraig_wen

Visit site
I almost forgot. I've got my welsh part bred mare in foal to a coloured partbred sports horse stallion.

Hopefully she'll give me a foal something like my maxi cob. His sire was a sports horse type but because of her build. He kept her width and stature but with his father's height. Anything remotely like him would make me happy. Even better if foalie arrives with patches.

crabbymare

Visit site
I have a sps mare by florencio on breeding loan who is in foal to lissaro van de helle. she has a 2 year old that if he is good enough to do a performance test will be standing next year so will be exciting for me to see what the result is

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Crabbymare - thats sounds a very interesting cross! Love Lissaro

I have 3 due in 2017. I must be mad!
One is a repeat breeding of this year's fabulous filly - by Rotspon out of my Hanoverian approved Trakehner mare Harmsworth Elfinesque (Tycoon x E.H Consul). She is due mid April
Then I have a foal due in March out of a mare I bought in the Spring. The mare is a daughter of the only full sister of Ferro, so I had to buy her! She has bred some cracking foals in the past so I have a good idea of what suits her, and have choosen a young stallion, but I know his family very well.
So that will be a Feinrich x Mondriaan x Ulft foal, a great combination of German and Dutch lines.

Finally my homebred State Premium mare Volatis Casiphia is expecting her 2nd foal in April. Her first foal is now 4 and under saddle and incredibly talented so I am so excited about this next foal.
Casi is Trakehner by Tycoon x Achtermann and I have bred her to Schwarzgold, who is a really exciting young Trakehner stallion. If this is a filly it is not for sale!!

TheMule

Visit site
One is a repeat breeding of this year's fabulous filly - by Rotspon out of my Hanoverian approved Trakehner mare Harmsworth Elfinesque (Tycoon x E.H Consul). She is due mid April

I'll be interested to see this baby- I have Elana, her 2013 foal :)

Asha

Visit site
Crabbymare - thats sounds a very interesting cross! Love Lissaro

Then I have a foal due in March out of a mare I bought in the Spring. The mare is a daughter of the only full sister of Ferro, so I had to buy her! She has bred some cracking foals in the past so I have a good idea of what suits her, and have choosen a young stallion, but I know his family very well.
So that will be a Feinrich x Mondriaan x Ulft foal, a great combination of German and Dutch lines.

Finally my homebred State Premium mare Volatis Casiphia is expecting her 2nd foal in April. Her first foal is now 4 and under saddle and incredibly talented so I am so excited about this next foal.
Casi is Trakehner by Tycoon x Achtermann and I have bred her to Schwarzgold, who is a really exciting young Trakehner stallion. If this is a filly it is not for sale!!

Oohhh , look forward to seeing your photos of these beauties

How's everyone's broodies looking ?

My girl is now looking in foal as opposed to porkie. Tootles as we have named him or her is quite active now too. I'd forgotten how wonderful it was to see these first kicks.
It's gone a bit wet here now, so had to start bringing her in, which she's loving.

Hope your girls are all well.

minmax

Visit site
Mine are living out, bit muddy near the fence but not too bad.
They both definitely are looking in foal now. Even with nearly a month between their due dates. One due in mid April, one mid May. Looking forward to seeing what they produce.
Cannot wait to see all the foal pics :)

Asha

Visit site
we have hit the heights of day 297, and her udders have had a little change, some minor filling this morning. baby very active, and she has finally started to look in foal, as opposed to grass belly

How's everyone else's doing ?

crabbymare

Visit site
It is getting close for a lot of us now and there will soon be alarm clocks going off at regular intervals every night until foals are safely born. my loan mare is getting wide and the last pictures I was sent of her laying down on a night in told me she was certainly in foal :) she is not due until 23rd april so around 9 weeks to go depending on the weather and when foal decides its ready to make an entrance. will be a change for me to be watching on the internet and someone else doing the sleepless nights and being there for her :D apparantly she is next on the list for a mane tidy which will probably be this week so I expect I will get another picture of her when she is in for that (where she is kept they live out all year). the lovely lady snoozing in the winter sun
16195259_1277569852303014_6598095277024253250_n.jpg

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
ooohh shes lovely, and is certainly bigger than my girl. I'm starting wonder if shes been covered by a Shetland !

Its nice that we've had a bit of sun, the girls do appreciate it

ihatework

Visit site
I've had first foal cuddles of the year already - small stud where my yearling is had their first born 10 days ago. HUGE colt, very bold and forwards, having to be supplemented by extra replacement milk from bucket. I love foal time!

TheMule

Visit site
I've had first foal cuddles of the year already - small stud where my yearling is had their first born 10 days ago. HUGE colt, very bold and forwards, having to be supplemented by extra replacement milk from bucket. I love foal time!

I've still got nearly 4 months to wait. It's not fair!

crabbymare

Visit site
ooohh shes lovely, and is certainly bigger than my girl. I'm starting wonder if shes been covered by a Shetland !

I am sure your foal will come out the right size. the mare is probably hiding him/her and keeping you guessing :D mine is in germany and I think she was appreciating the snow going. just uploaded the photos from when she had a night in and she looks huge :D I hope she is not having an elephant :D
attachment.php
attachment.php

crabbymare

Visit site
I hope I can have cuddles before he/she gets to big and loses the very early supercuteness. it always feels like the winter is finally going when foals start arriving

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site

Fear not - the mare I'm waiting on foaling (expecting the arrival in about 4 weeks) hardly ever shows. When we imported her from America in foal, she was due middle of March and at the end of January we were stood looking at her in the field and my OH began to have doubts as to whether she was in foal. We'd bought her at public auction at the beginning of November and she was sold as certified in foal within 28 days of the sale, and then for the 5 weeks prior to flying into the UK she was kept by the transporter along with the other horses which were coming in together. I had to remind him that if she'd slipped the foal during those 5 weeks, we'd have been notified, and since arriving with us she certainly hadn't. She's not an overly big mare and she does have fair-sized foals, she just doesn't show as much as some mares do.

She's still rugged and in the herd at the moment, looking well condition wise. She'll be coming up to the yard in the next fortnight to be stabled and monitored before baby hopefully arrives safe and sound. Was actually thinking about it last night and how much I have everything secretly crossed for a colt, although a live foal is first and foremost what I'm after!

Asha

Visit site
I am sure your foal will come out the right size. the mare is probably hiding him/her and keeping you guessing :D mine is in germany and I think she was appreciating the snow going. just uploaded the photos from when she had a night in and she looks huge :D I hope she is not having an elephant :D
attachment.php
attachment.php

Fear not - the mare I'm waiting on foaling (expecting the arrival in about 4 weeks) hardly ever shows. When we imported her from America in foal, she was due middle of March and at the end of January we were stood looking at her in the field and my OH began to have doubts as to whether she was in foal. We'd bought her at public auction at the beginning of November and she was sold as certified in foal within 28 days of the sale, and then for the 5 weeks prior to flying into the UK she was kept by the transporter along with the other horses which were coming in together. I had to remind him that if she'd slipped the foal during those 5 weeks, we'd have been notified, and since arriving with us she certainly hadn't. She's not an overly big mare and she does have fair-sized foals, she just doesn't show as much as some mares do.

She's still rugged and in the herd at the moment, looking well condition wise. She'll be coming up to the yard in the next fortnight to be stabled and monitored before baby hopefully arrives safe and sound. Was actually thinking about it last night and how much I have everything secretly crossed for a colt, although a live foal is first and foremost what I'm after!

Thanks Crabbymare & Crosshill P, I reckon the foal is hiding, the mare just doesn't seem to care, and plays / gallops /bucks around the field all the time, poor little might must have a headache ! She hasn't read the bit about taking it easy.

So, between us we have a mare due 4, 6 & 9 weeks. Exciting, we will get an overload of cute foal photos soon.

(I'm secretly hoping for a colt too.)