2022 Foals

EventingMum

Visit site
Do you have any inkling who daddy could be or what type it could be?
You could be really lucky and get a mule ?
Supposedly a Clydesdale x cob unregistered stallion - not what I would choose. The mare is ISH with Clover Hill lines. It may be wishful thinking but something might be happening, she's been walking round her box and occasionally pawing her bed this evening but then goes back to eating.

TheMule

Visit site
Supposedly a Clydesdale x cob unregistered stallion - not what I would choose. The mare is ISH with Clover Hill lines. It may be wishful thinking but something might be happening, she's been walking round her box and occasionally pawing her bed this evening but then goes back to eating.

Oh o_O
Good luck, I hope it goes well

EventingMum

Visit site
Colt foal born at 11.40pm! There were a few heart stopping moments when there seemed to be no progress so I called the vet but with some assistance she managed to deliver before the vet arrived. He's a feisty wee thing and was on his feet very quickly. Suckling was trickier as mum wants to see him at all times so when he gets in the right position she immediately turns round so he's infront of her however he's now had several good drinks.
I promise there will be pictures later when I'm not quite so exhausted.

Oh and the best news is so far, he appears to take after mum, he's bay with a white star.

EventingMum

Visit site
Lots of Leo spam!

ncYaOcxm.jpg

K4eDaAHm.jpg

cRmYuVMm.jpg

All good so far, IgG test booked for tomorrow morning. Mum is very foal proud but hopefully she'll relax over the next few days. We managed to pop them out for a short while this afternoon but we're bringing them in overnight, partly because Sandy, the mare is on a precautionary course of antibiotics as her placenta was a bit mottled looking. It was lovely to see him having a canter round although Sandy didn't like him doing so! We've got a better field for them once she's relaxed a bit but the one in the picture is close to the foaling box so it will do for the first few days.

I'm really looking forward to a full night's sleep tonight, the first for a week!

EventingMum

Visit site
He is lovely, glad all is well.
Dare i ask are you a little bit pleased with him, even though it was a planned foal?

I am, his mum has cost me a fortune, she brought strangles onto the yard despite having a negative blood test and not really showing any symptoms. We were convinced she was a carrier but fortunately, her guttural pouch wash said otherwise, the ensuing loss of income and vet fees were over £15k and obviously she hasn't been able to do the job in the riding school she was bought to do.

All that said, I am rather taken with him! I suspect he will be a feisty character, he ran between her hind legs today and she gave him a row, he just squealed at her.

No decisions will be made yet about whether or not he stays long-term, before he was born I had several offers to buy whatever foal we got, including the supposed sire's owner but that won't happen, I don't want to condone breeding from unregistered stallions.

nagblagger

Visit site
Contemplating keeping him! He's wearing you down, already, with his cuteness.:D
Must admit he is a smart looking colt, especially for a bogof -(i got a typical 'gypsy cob' ,if you know what i mean. he will always be owned by me so he won't go on that circuit, but will be loaned out when he is ready and broken as too small for me.)

EventingMum

Visit site
A better picture of Leo, his IgG test was fine this morning. The only problem we are having is with his mum who is being a nightmare to catch both in and out of the stable, she is just so foal proud and seems to panic even with him right beside her. Hopefully, the realisation that we aren't going to take him away or do either of them any harm will dawn soon.
8oWkFQw.jpg

Caol Ila

Visit site
A better picture of Leo, his IgG test was fine this morning. The only problem we are having is with his mum who is being a nightmare to catch both in and out of the stable, she is just so foal proud and seems to panic even with him right beside her. Hopefully, the realisation that we aren't going to take him away or do either of them any harm will dawn soon.
8oWkFQw.jpg

I know that movie. My mare was the most foal proud thing in the world, and we could not catch her for about three weeks. Once we shifted them into a smaller pen and got a fieldsafe headcollar on her, she finally realised that she did not have to protect her baby from us. When they went back into a big field, she had resumed normal domestic horse services. I don't know if she was ridiculously foal proud because she was a teenage mom, because she hadn't been handled by her breeder and I'd only had her for about two months at that point, or any and all of the above. Not fun.

TheMule

Visit site
8oWkFQw.jpg

My mare was ridiculous for a couple of weeks but has very slowly chilled out and is now just a good mum. She will get there!

Asha

Visit site
Enya did her futurity filming today. Unfortunately she has chosen this week to grow so her bottom is pitching her a bit downhill whereas last week she was moving in a beautiful balance :rolleyes:
So I'm not expecting amazing marks, but it has been a good process and I enjoyed tarting her up
View attachment 97537

Stunning and look at that hind leg ?

I’m taking Rustle to BEF week on Monday , have very low expectations of a score as he’s more Cart horse than athlete . But it’s literally 10mins away so a good first outing ??

TheMule

Visit site
Stunning and look at that hind leg ?

I’m taking Rustle to BEF week on Monday , have very low expectations of a score as he’s more Cart horse than athlete . But it’s literally 10mins away so a good first outing ??

Ooh exciting! I've found it a really useful process for my foals, I think they learn a lot from their day and it's very laid back. Unfortunately our nearest venue is 1 1/2 hours away so it's quite a full on day for a young foal and an anxious mother.
Good luck!

Asha

Visit site
Ooh exciting! I've found it a really useful process for my foals, I think they learn a lot from their day and it's very laid back. Unfortunately our nearest venue is 1 1/2 hours away so it's quite a full on day for a young foal and an anxious mother.
Good luck!

Thanks . In years gone by they’ve usually asked you to pick a discipline . But didn’t see that option this time . Do you you get asked ?
I’d have to pick SJ I think for Rustle as he’s way to chunky for eventing and doesn’t have the movement for dressage . Just wish they’d do a category for show types

TheMule

Visit site
Thanks . In years gone by they’ve usually asked you to pick a discipline . But didn’t see that option this time . Do you you get asked ?
I’d have to pick SJ I think for Rustle as he’s way to chunky for eventing and doesn’t have the movement for dressage . Just wish they’d do a category for show types

On my entry form it was a drop down box with a list- they'll probably ask you on the day