22 yr old a complete nutter in the field at times, now injured!

Kezza

Visit site
My 22 year old welsh B is a nutter to say the least, turned him out as usual Saturday morning (he lives out in a different paddock with access to his stable) with the other 2 and he had his usual roll about in the mud and then had the most impressive 5 minutes of utter madness (he has been known to do this before) ... He was leaping in the air like a Spring lamb, propelling himself from his hind legs and landing on all 4 and then galloping round and skidding up to my other 2 as if to say "come play with me, come on", needless to say, they were not impressed and simply wanted to eat. Anyway, usually there isn't a major problem but due to the bad weather the ground was very slippery and he was sliding everywhere so I took the decision to get him back in till he calmed down. I eventually got hold of him and let him wander it off on the yard (it's enclosed and adjacent to field).

I put him back out after about 10 mins and he settled to eat. When I got him in later in the afternoon he was hobbling a bit on one of his fronts. Sure enough, above his fetlock joint was swollen. I gave him bute Sunday and strapped it up. I left him without bute or strapping yesterday and the fluid is moving downwards but last night it was still there slightly above the fetlock joint but not on the tendon, it is either side like a windgall.

If he is not better this afternoon I will have to call the vet I think. Silly pony, I wonder if he's learnt a lesson this time??

Sparklet

Visit site
Doesnt sound like the type of chap who learns lessons
grin.gif

Kezza

Visit site
he better had otherwise I'll end up having a nervous breakdown. I thought my 20 yr old was bad enough but he's not a patch on this one for being silly in the field although he has gone over before and slid down a hill ... looked funny but wasn't funny if you know what I mean. He got up, had a shake and went charging off again so no damage done that time!

filly190

Visit site
My 21 year old mare can be silly at times, I just have to walk away, I cant bare to watch when they all gallop about. When she does come in lame, I strap her up and continue to turn her out even if she is dog lame, it keeps her quiet and I know she cant move about. If she is turned out lame, I dont give bute, because she'd only do something else silly.

I have found the more I keep her in, the worse she is when turned out. So I have given up and turn her out regardless and deal with it at night time stable.

Woody&Rockie

Visit site
Ive got a 22yr old Sec B whos ripped his tendons to shreds... he hasnt learnt I have to electric fence tiny stable sized fields as if he does it again he would have to be PTS as it wouldnt heal.
I dont think they ever learn in fact i think he gets worse!
Hope your ponys leg is ok!

valley

Visit site
Every owners nightmare but its lovely to see them let off some steam I always think as they are bucking and galloping round "thank goodness i'm not sitting on that"
The weather conditions aren't helping with the ground so deep with mud

Kezza

Visit site
He still has a little fluid but appears sound now. anyway here is a photo of the nutter showing off in a veteran class!

Untitled-7.jpg