22yo horse, would you?

qwerty123

Visit site
My mare is out of action for the next year or so and I've been thinking of getting another horse.
There's a possibility of a 22year old horse on full loan. He has been a hunter (twice a week) for a long time, is bombproof in traffic and he's been there and done it.
The type of horse I'm looking for is one to hack safely, do a bit of xc schooling, maybe the odd hunter trial and maybe some local shows. Nothing too demanding, but I want a horse I can get on and not worry what idiotic behaviour they are going to choose to do today!

Would that be too much to ask of a horse that age? His owner says he's just not ready to retire yet...

Suzie86

Visit site
I do all of that with my 25 year old and he loves it 😄 if he's just for loan then why not! Meet him and see what you think before you let his age put you off

booandellie

Visit site
Definitely yes I would! I,m sure he would let you know if he was not up to it, for peace of mind I would get a vet to give him the once over to make sure his overall health is sound. Oldies have a lot to give

ZondaR

Visit site
My horse is 22 and would be well up for what you describe. The only restriction I would put on him is that I would not be keen to compete at higher than 1 meter. He would do it no problem, but I wouldn't feel comfortable about it at his age. People are always asking me if he 7 or 8 and are amazed when I say 22.

EmmaB

Visit site
I agree, if he is fit and healthy for his age then go for it! My boy is 20 is I still do a bit of everything with him, he definitely hasn't slowed down any yet!

rowan666

Visit site
Without a doubt, age never puts me off, I've had 30+ yr olds in ridden work still going strong and fit as fiddle and youngsters only suitable as field ornaments for a whole host of health/soundness related issues. Go for it!

Cara_E

Visit site
I bought a 22 year old and would do it again in a heartbeat. She was amazing. I only had her five days before she had to be PTS because of an injury but she was the sweetest, sanest pony in the world. Do it, you won't regret it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I haven't spoken to them with regards to this, but reading between the lines I assume it would be me.

Then the answer is absolutely no. He could lump you with vet bills which are completely uninsurable.

If they will cover any uninsured vet bills yes, otherwise forget it, he could bankrupt you.

It's not his age, it's the fact that full insurance for illness on a horse that old isn't available.

paddi22

Visit site
i'd set up some kind of agreement for vets bills. What if it develops arthristis in the hocks for example, and needs xrays and injections and physio costs etc. What if you pay them and then owner decides to terminate loan?

Mrs B

Visit site
If vet fees sorted as to who would be responsible for what, then without a heartbeat go for it! Especially if it's a loan.

Older horses and ponies (imho) have so very much to offer, give and to teach. We bought one in early 20s and one in teens and have to say those two were among the best buys of our lives.

HOWEVER!

(And sorry if anyone's said this before), I would just check that he is completely ok hacking alone.

And by that I mean take him out on your own on a trial and if you see something you think a horse might find scary, ride him towards it. If you're brave and determined and he's the horse they say he is, he should be fine. If you're not or he hesitates or messes around, then one of you is a 'work in progress' and in your shoes, with your particular needs right now, I'd walk away.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
sounds lovely,
a bit of everything and not too much of anything cept hacking seems to suit them at that sort of age.
Frank is 23 and still does a bit of everything :) but I don't jump him or school him as much as I would have done when he was younger just enough for him to enjoy/keep him supple.

SpringArising

Visit site
If you loan a horse then you foot the vet bills - I've never seen or heard of anything different and it would be madness to expect the owner to pay for them anyway - I wouldn't!

In your case no, I wouldn't take the horse on for the reasons that YCBM said. He could develop arthritis within a year and then you're either lumped with a horse you can't do what you want with and have to pay for fees and supps/treatment, or you have to hand him back.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'd say yes, provided he can go back if it turns out he can't cope with what you want him to do. I have a 27yo who is still in regular work :)

Nicnac

Visit site
Definitely - sounds perfect. I would also insure a loan horse for vets fees and wouldn't expect owner to pay!

huskydamage

Visit site
Going to go against the grain here and say no. Wouldnt want to take on a horse at that age and I say this as the owner of a crazy 23year old who is still well up for hacking, hunting and long distance.but she can't do the same stuff as10years ago.she gets stiff some days and is very expensive and faffy to keep now and I have to accept that at any time her health could deteriorate and she may have to retire. If you can send the horse back maybe, but otherwise no, being practical here

ycbm

Visit site
Definitely - sounds perfect. I would also insure a loan horse for vets fees and wouldn't expect owner to pay!

The last time I looked, you could not insure a twenty two year old for illness, except with Petplan and then only if the horse has been insured with them since it was twenty.

southerncomfort

Visit site
It's a tough one. He sounds great and perfect for you right now. I guess it would come down to whether you would feel able to return him if he developed arthritis or another age-related condition that restricted what you could do with him.

I have a 23 year old and although she was still up for most things last year, her hocks are starting to show a bit of stiffness so it's hacking only from now on for us.

hibshobby

Visit site
I'm another in the "yes" camp. I got my first horse when she was 18 and I had her for 11 fantastic years. She had a heart murmur and had had laminitis but with careful management I managed to hack just about every day and hunt twice a week during the season. Be guided by the horse; if he/she is offering take it, but don't push it and enjoy him/her while you can. Horses like this are gold dust in my view.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Then the answer is absolutely no. He could lump you with vet bills which are completely uninsurable.

If they will cover any uninsured vet bills yes, otherwise forget it, he could bankrupt you.

It's not his age, it's the fact that full insurance for illness on a horse that old isn't available.

Obviously if the horse sustained more than a minor injury, you would send it back tot he owner, that is why the owner does not wish to sell. He wants to make sure that the horse has the best future possible

ycbm

Visit site
Obviously if the horse sustained more than a minor injury, you would send it back tot he owner, that is why the owner does not wish to sell. He wants to make sure that the horse has the best future possible

An injury is not the point and the horse can be insured for injury.

The problem is that if it got colic, for example, you could be many hundreds of pounds out of pocket before the horse died, got better, or the owner agreed to fund an operation and take the horse back for recuperation. And that is not insurable.

Do you know the owner Pearlsasinger? There was a thread about an old unsound polo pony last month where the owner refused to take it back and the loanee had to find it a home with a charity.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Visit site
The last time I looked, you could not insure a twenty two year old for illness, except with Petplan and then only if the horse has been insured with them since it was twenty.

Who said anything about illness?

tashcat

Visit site
I have a 25 year old and he might as well be 5! He's never even let me think about stopping the gallops and jumping and everything he loves, because he keeps on proving he can and wants to do it. He also loves to scatter and hop all over the place, and enoys jogging on the spot for the entire ride. Albeit we've slowed a little, but for your requirements, the horse sounds lovely and I wouldn't hesitate.

Don't tell anyone.. but oldies are my favourite :p

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
An injury is not the point and the horse can be insured for injury.

The problem is that if it got colic, for example, you could be many hundreds of pounds out of pocket before the horse died, got better, or the owner agreed to fund an operation and take the horse back for recuperation. And that is not insurable.

Do you know the owner Pearlsasinger? There was a thread about an old unsound polo pony last month where the owner refused to take it back and the loanee had to find it a home with a charity.

No I don't know the owner but it appears that OP does. If a 22 yr old horse in my care, loan or otherwise, got a severe colic, there would be no discussion about surgery. It would be pts unless the owner was super quick to intervene and arrange surgery which s/he would pay for and it would not come back to my yard.
I do not insure my own horses, my vet bills for colic have never run into huge sums anyway (perhaps because I call the vet early)
. I do not loan horses as I prefer to be in complete control of my own horses but I can understand why OP sees this as a solution to her current situation. If I were to loan this horse, I would make sure that the owner fully understood my position. If the owner agreed as I think most people would, I can see no reason for OP not to go ahead

ETA, of course if OP were to buy a 2nd horse, which is actually what I would do, she would already be many more hundreds of pounds out of pocket before the horse set foot, or hoof, on her yard. When you loan a horse it should not be looked at as having a free horse but as taking on the responsibility and treating it as your own, up to a point agreed with the owner.
I am not suggessting that OP is looking on this as a free horse but some posters seem to do so.
As for the polo pony if the owner wouldn't take it back, I would pts.

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If you loan a horse then you foot the vet bills - I've never seen or heard of anything different and it would be madness to expect the owner to pay for them anyway - I wouldn't!

In your case no, I wouldn't take the horse on for the reasons that YCBM said. He could develop arthritis within a year and then you're either lumped with a horse you can't do what you want with and have to pay for fees and supps/treatment, or you have to hand him back.

err not always, we had a loan agreement with a friend for a year and she maintained his insurance and paid for his vet bills. He had a couple of ongoing issues.
It was still mutually beneficial and it depends how much the owner thinks it is the right home for their horse. It can certainly be discussed in most cases. As an owner I would be happy to cover vet bills because I wouldn't want to think a loanee might otherwise put off treatment. That way they can tell me what the issue is, ask what I think, I can say yes get vet or no try this :p. It is perfectly possible to come to agreement about these things and most things are communicatable about :p. Or say loaner says will pay £x amount towards any treatment.

OP's horse is only off for a year, and if something happens that means this horse can't do what she would like it to it can go back to the owner, she isn't purchasing it.

Last edited: