24/7 turnout for a laminitic

Connemara24

Visit site
He had laminitis last year with mild rotation. Not had laminitis since. And he is retired now at 24.
In the winter he lives out 24/7. And summer in during day and out a night.
Do you think he could live out 24/7 in summer very sparse grazing and I check his pulse 2 x daily. He has ad-lib hay when out as had ulcers. Thanks

meleeka

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7. They do have a track in the summer months though and I strip graze the middle and feed hay when I don’t move the fence. I find putting them in with hay counter productive really as they have less exercise and eat more.

countryal

Visit site
I have one that has had lami in the past, and 2 other natives that are good doers. I've found keeping them on restricted grazing 24/7 is easier to keep the weight off than coming in. I've no need to feed hay so no help on that sorry.

Connemara24

Visit site
Great thank you everyone. Yes it's a small field with little grass. He has been tested for cushings and he doesn't have it thankfully I think he got laminitis from being very over weight. But he is at a weight now the vets are happy with.

Connemara24

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7. They do have a track in the summer months though and I strip graze the middle and feed hay when I don’t move the fence. I find putting them in with hay counter productive really as they have less exercise and eat more.

Great thank you, how often do you strip grass I have really long grass round his field.

meleeka

Visit site
Great thank you, how often do you strip grass I have really long grass round his field.

I usually move it once a day, but only a foot or two. I judge roughly a fold of hays worth of grass between them. If any of them look cresty or pulses up, i just don’t move it. I strip from one side to the middle and then put that back and do the same for the other side. In a normal year I can do that a couple of times before it stops growing, but obviously this year the rested bit just isn’t growing back.

Connemara24

Visit site
I usually move it once a day, but only a foot or two. I judge roughly a fold of hays worth of grass between them. If any of them look cresty or pulses up, i just don’t move it. I strip from one side to the middle and then put that back and do the same for the other side. In a normal year I can do that a couple of times before it stops growing, but obviously this year the rested bit just isn’t growing back.

Great thank very much.

Peglo

Visit site
We have 2 that’s had laminitis and they both live out 24/7 in summer. They are on a very short paddock and haven’t gotten it again for several years. Ones pretty much retired as he’s small and the other hasn’t been ridden much this year