24/7 turnout for completely clipped horse. help!

{108361}

Visit site
I've just bought a Connie x TB type horse who is totally clipped (legs included) but I only have fields. And muddy ones at that. New yard has two stables that are full up. Really concerned my new boy will freeze to death. Anyone got any ideas if it's too cold? I plan to keep him unclipped and out so only a temporary problem. I've got three super thick rugs but I'm worried about legs and forecast -2 at night next week! Anyone got any ideas? Don't want to have to buy a trailer to put in at night but am considering this.. . He is very fine and not fat

TheMule

Visit site
He'll be warmer out and moving around than he would in a stable. Don't over-rug him, give him plenty of hay to eat and he'll be fine!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I kept several horses fully clipped out all year round! most had legs left on, but at one point I had three totally bald due to a skin issue and messed up leg lines ;) . There is no muscle and fat on the lower legs anyway for warmth. They were walking around with plenty to eat and much warmer than the ones shut in boxes standing still. Of course some horses like being in, but I found mine all did much better for being out. They must have lots of good grazing or hay/haylage available.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have one who is fully clipped and lives out .
Make sure he’s warm feed him plenty of forage and it will be fine .
It’s best to have several outdoor rugs so you can layer up it you need if I think mine is cold and it’s wet I just add another outside rugs on top of what he’s wearing atm he’s wearing one heavy wieght ( 400 gram ) with a 250 on top of it, tomorrow who knows what he will have on .

irishdraft

Visit site
I have always kept my fully clipped hunters out usually take the legs off as well. Atm gelding has on 250 turnout and 100g under rug always feels warm. They have plenty of hay & sometimes a hedge depending which field they are on

Lyle

Visit site
Although winters in Aus a not like the winters you lot experience, we still get some pretty cold stints (Last year had a cold patch of -7 at night!). Most horses live out all year round, and I've had plenty of fully clipped horses survive. Plenty of hay, layer a couple of quality rugs. I also use turnout boots (sheepskin with canvas outer) on the more sensitive types. They also seem to take less time to warm up when I start to ride! You could add a turnout hood (like the short ones from snuggy hoods) if your fields are suitable.

whizzer

Visit site
My very fine TB, has lived out for a few years now,initially was fully clipped when in work & still clipped now as is retired but has cushings. He’s rugged according to weather & has ad lib hay. He’s always warm enough,I think they’re better moving about than standing around in a stable.

Boulty

Visit site
I'd say as long as he's got a neck rug (perhaps a fairly deep one that covers his belly nicely?) and plenty of forage to eat (be that hay or you being fortunate enough to still have actual grass) then he should be fine. Only slightl concern may be that he won't have protection from the mud with no leg hair so in an ideal world could maybe do with some hardstanding to escape it

Pinkvboots

Visit site
my Arabs lived out this year fully clipped with legs on and they have been fine and even look a bit fat, ii bought them new heavy weight rugs with detachable necks nd they always feel warm and they get plenty of haylage.

windand rain

Visit site
he will be fine moving about will keep him warmer than stabling anyway. Use some sort of barrier on his legs to keep the mud off as I expect you will be with him a lot you can adjust his rugs if you think he is feeling the cold (standing still head down shivering) put him another one but I bet he will thrive out 24/7 most do. Forage is key as long as his gut is full he will be toasty warm

Darbs

Visit site
Thank you everyone - he is my first horse so Im have been panicking! Much relieved to hear your advice!

As usual there is some good advice on here, and you have definitely done the right thing asking for other peoples thoughts.

I was in exactly the same position with our daughters first pony. I regularly thought I was doing things wrong, or not the 'done' way, but asking peoples advice and picking the most sensible route that lines up with your thinking is a great way to go.

Jellymoon

Visit site
Lucky boy getting to live out - he will be fine!
I quite like those snuggy hoods things that cover the whole body, incl belly, neck, even head, for fully clipped ones living out. With nice warm turnout over the top,300g or similar.

I have no idea if they like them, or if they even need them, but they help me sleep at night and they look so clean and shiny when you take them off.

And lots of hay. If they can eat and stay dry they will be warm.

You can’t do much about wet muddy legs, you’ll just have to live with that really. Mine seem to like standing in the muddiest bits, maybe it’s warmer?
Just watch out for mud fever and thrush etc. Shame they’ve clipped his legs as that gives them protection. Oh well, spring won’t be long.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I will only use snuggy hoods if I tape the eye holes open much wider, I wouldn't sleep at night worrying about them twisting and covering the eyes, so the only time I use them is if the horse is plaited and really must be kept clean! But electric tape to pull the eyes lower and wider down the nose, and higher to the ears works brilliantly. My current horse hates them anyway and has a fit trying to get it off. Mine are changing their coats already, so it won't be long until it's grown through hopefully!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Im unsure what you mean OP when you mention that you dont want to buy a trailer to put him in, I assume you wouldnt consider using a trailer as a stable as that sounds like a very bad idea!

Id say he'll be fine. Id just make sure he's warm enough rug-wise, give him decent hard feed and good ab-lib good hay. I would probably consider hardcoring an area of your field though if its that muddy just in general and then you could put a ring feeder on it. Ive got a hardcored yard outside my stables (open to the field) and my horses spend most of the day round it eating which saves the field and keeps mud fever away.

Someones mentioned Snuggy Hoods, personally I wouldnt. I bought a brand new turnout one of theirs years ago with a zip - it didnt even last one night. I found it in a pile in the middle of the field the next day, how on earth my horse got it off from underneath a full neck rug I have no idea but I imagine he was blinded for part of it. I would never use one for turnout again.