24/7

TheSubwayDino

Visit site
All I seem to post is "what if" so here we go again ?

Discussion came up with people about having a horse down at theirs in the future. Currently thinking about it. From what I remember, it's 24/7 with an emergency stable. With my chosen career, I know I'd struggle alot if I was at a DIY yard but wouldn't want to go to part or full livery till I am more invested into my career or have a higher salary. With that in mind, I was thinking of having my potential horse out 24/7 and have the chance to go down when I can without any yard closure times or having to worry about time- helps too that the owners live on the farm and have a retired horse down there.

However, some things have came to mind.

- Do I have to visit them everyday to sort them out? Aside from rug changes
- Spring grass. How do you cope?
- Handling their weight?
- And anything else you suggest or advice

Thank you ?

ahml100

Visit site
Hello!

So this has been my current set up for 4 years, like you with work and everything DIY was not possible and was not in the financial position to have 2 horses on part/full livery.

With regards to your question, I always went up at least once a day to make sure the horses were all in good health as well as doing a quick check of the paddock (fencing, holes, litter etc). However I was in a shared paddock with other people, so on the odd day I was unable to make it to the yard, I would drop a message in our group chat and the other owners would give my boys a quick once over to make sure all was ok. I did this for them as well when they could not get there.

Spring grass - speak to the YO/YM and see if they permit tracks or field splitting.

Weight - I have been very lucky that I have never had a weight issue, partly because one horse is in heavy work, hunting near enough every weekend from November to March then competing. The other horse was a young horse never became over weight. However, the paddock did have the max number of horses within it so the grass was not able to grow out of control.

Big thing would be if shared or individual as would recommend everyone being on the same worming program. Also, during the horrid winter months would you be able to put out hay to supplement the grass? Oh and check who would be responsible for field maintenance!

SpeedyPony

Visit site
Yes, you'd have to visit every day, unless there's someone there that you trust that can check horse has no injuries/access to water/forage (more so in winter).
Spring grass wise- very dependent on the horse, if he's in work etc. If there isn't the option to limit grazing then good doers will need a lot of exercise and/or a muzzle.
Is the stable just for emergencies or will you be able to use it to change rugs/tack up etc? I have mine out 24/7 without a stable and it works, but you have to be prepared to be very wet and muddy for much of the winter. Changing rugs in sideways rain isn't that fun for you or the horse!
If you have no facilities (school etc) and you want to keep the horse in work year round you'll need good waterproofs, lots of hi Viz and probably stirrup lights (also best to work them in the morning in either IMO, that way it's getting lighter as you ride).

AntiPuck

Visit site
One issue with that set-up could be that there is no one to assist you when needed, e.g. to change rugs, pick out feet etc. unless the land owners are offering to do it, so it's a more involved option than a livery yard in that sense. Presumably you wouldn't be able to just go away for a week on holiday or choose not to go up if unwell etc. unless you arrange for freelancer cover. I'd want the horse to be checked at least once per day even when out 24/7.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ours live out, at home, and we check them at least twice a day, as well as looking over the wall as we go past. I wouldn't want to have a horse that wasn't going to be checked less than twice per day by someone knowledgeable.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Mine live out 24/7 alongside a friends horse so if I can't get there she does the checks and vice versa. We have a big storage shed for feed, rugs etc but the tack is kept at home or in the car which can be a pain in the arse ?
Winter can be a fair bit of hassle and I frequently question my life choices, but then the clocks change, spring arrives and winter gets forgotten about til later on ??
It can be hard work but I'd have them out 24/7 over stabled any day x

alibali

Visit site
I think out 24/7 with suitable shelter and dry footing areas for hay etc is much better for most horses. It is not however an excuse to check them less frequently! Mine are physically checked a minimum of twice daily though in reality often much more as a casual glance from a distance. I'm out of the house at work from midday to after midnight some days. I still go down the field with a head torch at 0030 even in the pouring rain and howling gales in winter. I often question my life choices on those nights!

You can have a horse and fit them round a career with long and antisocial hours but you can't do it without any inconvenience to yourself unless you are either 1) financially able and prepared to pay for help when required 2) have knowledgeable and understanding family/friends 3) have a reliable reciprocal arrangement with fellow liveries. Sorry to be blunt and perhaps I've misunderstood the tone of this and previous questions however it seems you're looking for a way to have a horse without the time commitment that comes with them. If that is the case I'd strongly suggest that at this point in your life it would probably be better for both any prospective horse and for you as well if you were to get your horse fix by either schoolmaster lessons/hacks, riding holidays or possibly a share?

Nudibranch

Visit site
Please don't take this the wrong way as it isn't meant to be a criticism but going on the questions you've asked, I'd suggest livery - assisted, part or even just DIY but where there's others to help.

You need twice daily checks as a minimum. Mine are at home so I can glance out whenever but the number of times I've looked out and just thought, hmm, I'm going to go and check. Horses have an amazing ability to get themselves in stupid situations and how would you feel knowing yours had colicked or whatever and nobody had seen? One of mine managed to throw a shoe but it only partly came off, twisted and ended up partly embedded in his sole. No idea what on earth he'd been up to but I found him shivering on three legs on top of a small hillock. He couldn't have been there more than a couple of hours but imagine that scenario with a once daily check - or even less!

Weight management, spring grazing, etc are all totally dependent on the horse. As an example, I've had WBs and TBs who just rotate grazing twice a year and that's it. Then one developed PPID so had to be managed with electric fencing, etc. Currently I have big natives who need restricted grazing in spring and summer. But they're at home so I can put electric fencing, permanent fencing wherever I want.

Another option would be a share where you can learn more about these kinds of issues. It's an art more than a science to be honest and you develop a "feel" over time for what's needed.

Last edited: