2nd hand saddle - Bates

jeeve

Visit site
I bought a 2nd hand saddle from the 2nd hand saddley shop last Staurday. They were closed after that till Tuesday. I had till tuesday to try it, it looked good condition, with adjustable gullet. I intended on getting saddle fitter on Monday, but my daughter who I thought would be available to stay home was not - I had believed it was a pupil free day, but they changed that to following week.

Had saddle fitting yesterday, the gullet has been forcibly adjusted, and the tree where the gullet attaches, snapped. So need a new tree. Yes I have learned my lesson, I always have had someone in the past check my second hand saddles, -this problem was not something you would pick up until you pull saddle apart.

So just a reminder to be careful with second hand stuff, and also a question - would you tell the lady at the second hand shop - i have a pretty good idea, she would have known. It is too late really for me to do anything about it as I let the time lapse that I had to return it, nevertheless, you could also argue that it was not "fit for purpose".

WWYD?