2nd opinion - devasted.

happyclappy

Visit site
Thank you for your messages. I have lots of donkey people telling me I should giver her a chance. It seems so wrong when she seems so happy. Today she broke out with her little buddy and they spent some time galloping around two acres, having the time of their life.

seeing her like that makes me wonder...

but the vet was so long and careful showing and explaining thibgs, I am sure it is the correct decision. I am sat here now crying my eyes out.

Clodagh

Visit site
She has had a lovely summer and she doesn't know any of the anguish you are going through. She will go while she is happy - that is the greatest gift we can give our animals, not to make them suffer to make us feel better.
You are being very brave.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Now you have decided she will be PTS you don't have to decide 'when' just yet. If she's happy with her buddy and not in too much pain just monitor her and you'll know when it is time.

Princess Rosie

Visit site
Very sorry to hear about this, I agree with Gloi that you will know when the time is right, for now just enjoy your time together. Lots of hugs for you at this awful time x

happyclappy

Visit site
Now you have decided she will be PTS you don't have to decide 'when' just yet. If she's happy with her buddy and not in too much pain just monitor her and you'll know when it is time.

She got out yesterday and went galloping around two acres, and has been refusing her Danilon for several days. Today she is still fine and very happy. no lameness or swelling. I do not want her to be in pain, but will give her a little longer. I have two donkeys arriving very soon as company for my small donkey. At any sign of pain, then the time has come.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She got out yesterday and went galloping around two acres, and has been refusing her Danilon for several days. Today she is still fine and very happy. no lameness or swelling. I do not want her to be in pain, but will give her a little longer. I have two donkeys arriving very soon as company for my small donkey. At any sign of pain, then the time has come.

It is horrible to lose youngsters, it feels so wrong but she will tell you when the time is right. I'm sure will you listen to her and not let her suffer. Just try to enjoy the time you have left with her.

Echo Bravo

Visit site
This difficult to reply too as I've been there, as Clodagh says, she will go while she's happy. They don't know the time has come, just us that is why it is so hard to do the right thing by them.

conniegirl

Visit site
So sorry to read this, I absolutely agree that six months box rest for a four year old equine is too much, imo even for a guaranteed good outcome, never mind for a life inpain. I think you are making the best decision for her, even though it is a horrid one for you.
I agree that the op is making the best decision in the circumstance and I definatly feel for her.
However saying that 6 months box test is too much for any 4 yr old is just wrong.
I put my lad through 6 months box rest at 4 yrs old. He took to it very well and was beautifully calm about the whole thing. He had a positive outcome and returned to full ridden work with no vices or complications from his extended rest period

BlackRider

Visit site

As long as she is happy, then she's fine, you'll know when she's ready to go.

((HUGS)) x

happyclappy

Visit site
Thank you. She is happy right now. I know that this particular youngster would no tolerate box rest, unless very heavily sedated, which obviously is not an option for six months. My husband is going with me to speak to the vet on Wednesday, so he can hear and see. My decision is to PTS as soon as she starts suffering or appears to be getting unhappy. I will ask for the vets advice on whether it is OK to leave her for a while. I know it is my decision, as the vet does not know her.

BlackRider

Visit site
Thank you. She is happy right now. I know that this particular youngster would no tolerate box rest, unless very heavily sedated, which obviously is not an option for six months. My husband is going with me to speak to the vet on Wednesday, so he can hear and see. My decision is to PTS as soon as she starts suffering or appears to be getting unhappy. I will ask for the vets advice on whether it is OK to leave her for a while. I know it is my decision, as the vet does not know her.

I do sometimes think that vets are too ready to prescribe box rest (just to cover themselves), I was told to box rest my horse for 6 weeks, I lasted 2 days, then turned him out as normal for 3 months, and he recovered fine. Years ago (before my time) from what I gather horses would be turned away for a year.

((HUGS)) x

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I'm so sorry, it's never easy especially when they look so well but everything is stacked against your filly to lead a good pain free life.
A friend was in a similar position and decided against advice, to give them a bit more time together, however fate took a hand and the joint disintegrated in the field which made it an awful emergency for them both so please don't leave it too long for your filly's sake.. It was for the same reason I had Poppy put down a few weeks ago, her joint was beyond repair and could have gone at any time; she was only two.

To conniegirl; some horses adapt better than others to box rest, not all horses can take even a week of it; you do have to weigh up the temperament of the animal concerned and you also have to weigh up the viability of a quality of life after the box rest; which in this sad case is non viable, there are just too many things wrong which will get worse.

Luci07

Visit site
Just to say I am sorry. This will be awful for you but as others have said, she doesn't know about it.

You have explored all your options, you have considered them calmly, you know if the other options had a good degree of success you would do it. Be kind to yourself and know you have done the best and that's all our animals ask of us.