2nd weekend in May plans

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had a FANTASTIC lesson today at dressage club. Henry has had a really easy week due to rain (2 bush rides!) and he absolutely could have been fresh and a bit wound up but no, he was a super star. He gave me some of the best work he has done so far and made it feel really easy. The coach and lots of compliments for him which she said she doesn't often say about horses which in my head I was a bit yeah yeah about, but no, chatting to my friend after who knows he well, compliments like that are few and far between, so I am on a huge high about that too!

Sheep

Visit site
Farrier was out last night, attempted a trot up which was…..interesting ? farrier happy with how he’s looking so will hop on tomorrow night for a quick walk leg stretch, if he’s civilised we will go for a wander down the road.
Did try and walk in hand around arena earlier. It was not a civilised endeavour.

28C35656-C0C3-471C-9381-354F6D1D0A2F.jpeg

This was after our first WHEEEEE moment - rope was then looped through for easy release if needed ??‍♀️ Which it was.

Now off to go watch some xc!

J_sarahd

Visit site
So my weekend (horse-wise) is pretty much over.

The girl who came to view pony for loan yesterday was very nice and he could teach her a lot. She’s only an hour away from us so I can go and see him regularly. I’m going to set up a lesson with our trainer to see what she thinks and then go from there.

Today, he went to his first BSJA competition and wow he was incredible. This is only the second time the girl has ridden him. They got one pole in the intro and 2 poles in the BN. He just got a bit onward and she held too much and he got too deep. Not a problem at all though and I am absolutely ecstatic. Yes he’s not perfect and there’s still some things to work on, but considering it was his first BS competition and the second time she’s ridden him, I can’t complain in the slightest (and nor do I want to!)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Now that Ludo has put back on the weight he lost in moving it's rather obvious how he has lost his top line, presumably from a combination of too little work and no longer living on a steep hillside. I'd forgotten over 30 years just how much difference hill turnout makes.

The campaign began today to get him to really carry himself and to use the farm ride hills to rebuild the loss. He's popping tiny logs like he's always done it, so we'll be increasing the height soon. And we are gradually learning how to get our feet wet, which is the next big objective.

I seem to have lost all my interest in schooling with the novelty of such a fabulous farm ride on the doorstep!

teapot

Visit site
If it works for Ros Canter @ycbm

I was meant to have a lesson today but just not feeling quite 100%/enthused so cancelled. Lose the lesson but I just don’t see the point of having an half arsed one for the sake of it. Not fair on the horse or coach imho.

Michen

Visit site
Good boy Bog. We still don’t get our warm up trot in the dressage ring so I was pleased with 66.7% for our first novice test even with a 4 in there!! Lovely easy clear SJ at 90cm so 3rd place in a big class at combined training.

I’m chuffed our 90s now feel easy because I’m not riding like an idiot. And my horse as ever is just such a happy genuine little rocket.

Cmon rain we want to go to tweseldown BE next weekend!!!

0269659D-2550-4693-8E79-2EFF14E2E36D.jpeg012B066B-DA52-4AB4-B5F5-BA1AB663E1EF.jpeg9CF5E30F-6883-4A1D-A897-B3EB6CC9CCEB.jpeg

Pippity

Visit site
I was meant to be stewarding at my local show tomorrow, but am instead trapped at home with covid, staring wistfully at the beautiful weather. Bah!

Sheep

Visit site
Back to the drawing board with our guy - had a wee trot up today and not right. Gutted. Going to push for scan now - totally fed up (and so is he).

Michen, Boggle is fabulous, clone him please and send my way?

On the plus side, had a fab afternoon at the most gorgeous, beautifully presented EI venue. Didn’t take any pictures of jumps, so here’s one of Joseph Murphy popping over fence 2 in the EI110.

3107D4BF-9DD6-4F58-A48D-E930BCFA5628.jpeg

Michen

Visit site
Back to the drawing board with our guy - had a wee trot up today and not right. Gutted. Going to push for scan now - totally fed up (and so is he).

Michen, Boggle is fabulous, clone him please and send my way?

On the plus side, had a fab afternoon at the most gorgeous, beautifully presented EI venue. Didn’t take any pictures of jumps, so here’s one of Joseph Murphy popping over fence 2 in the EI110.

View attachment 92633

Argh sheep I’m sorry to read this. So frustrating. Has he had any scans or nerve blocks yet? Really hope it’s something simple.

Thanks, he gets better and better and I appreciate every second with him!

Sheep

Visit site
Argh sheep I’m sorry to read this. So frustrating. Has he had any scans or nerve blocks yet? Really hope it’s something simple.

Thanks, he gets better and better and I appreciate every second with him!

Funny I mentioned you earlier to my OH and said I could not get your scenario out of my head. Vet didn’t see value in scanning last time we were with them but tbh we are getting a bit effed off now, we had another incident a couple of wks ago and I’m struggling to get feedback on that too so considering a second opinion / fresh diagnostics elsewhere. Totally see why the first ones have gone down the route they did (see hoofbeats think horse and all that!) but they seem very single minded on it and I’m just not sure it’s right, or if it’s the only thing.

Anyway, bbq and wine to round of Saturday!!

Michen

Visit site
Funny I mentioned you earlier to my OH and said I could not get your scenario out of my head. Vet didn’t see value in scanning last time we were with them but tbh we are getting a bit effed off now, we had another incident a couple of wks ago and I’m struggling to get feedback on that too so considering a second opinion / fresh diagnostics elsewhere. Totally see why the first ones have gone down the route they did (see hoofbeats think horse and all that!) but they seem very single minded on it and I’m just not sure it’s right, or if it’s the only thing.

Anyway, bbq and wine to round of Saturday!!

Are you insured? I’d prefer to block first over scan in case it’s bony so you at least know where if it needs x rays although it is presenting soft tissue isn’t it if I remember, swelling etc? In which case scanning seems sensible.

For piece of mind, and £250 ish for the scanning, I absolutely would. Having had two horses with really minor hard to diagnose soft tissue injuries. In the same sodding leg ?

These injuries are so frustrating.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Super proud of my horse's SJ round today - he was scared of the noises coming out of the arena, but still went in there and focussed on the job.

Unfortunately after feeling brilliant all the way around the xc, I got my line wrong at part C of the penultimate and picked up 20 pens - but still finished on the optimum time. Still kicking myself!!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
So, so happy with Lottie. Incredible to compete at Chatsworth. Such a beautiful venue. Grinned all the way round my course as my amazing horse just took everything on with a ‘no problem’ attitude. She is wonderful. Rolled a pole. Plus time as I wanted a controlled round. Plus a ludicrous 4 as I couldn’t find the first fence and crossed tracks looking for it. :rolleyes: But I don’t mind at all. I’m so happy with her. Brilliant day 3EDAC3B3-FEEF-4734-86C5-E295CFBE5999.jpg5BD73CFC-1EEA-41F4-A499-09BABCACF3F4.jpg57504D77-23E3-4678-9F9D-4C9559CF1599.jpg

Caol Ila

Visit site
A fairly low key weekend. Caso's owner had her farewell dinner tonight, with myself, OH, and a few other yard people. They move to Germany on the 23rd of May. She's been my friend since 2014, we've been flatmates, barnmates, and she bought my ridiculous foal.

Foinavon has been a bit weird for the last few weeks, but I might have found the problem. See my thread in the Tack Room. I swapped back to the 5" Bomber bit from the 5 1/4" Bomber bit, and he was so much happier, even though the 5" was causing some chafing. He was awesome on our hack today. Trotted, cantered, and he even went past an unexpected construction site in the middle of one of our trails (a couple diggers, a generator, a pile of pipes...God knows what they're doing) without a meltdown. Clearly, a bit of rubbing annoys him less than the port being in the wrong place. I guess bit guards are in my future.

j1ffy

Visit site
Chilli continued to be very grown up at AMD, then had a quiet hack yesterday.

Here’s a little snippet from our lessons:

Intro test at the yard today. Hopefully he’s not too wet and muddy after a load of rain in the early hours - there’s a photographer at the comp and I want to get a nice first pro shot of him!

Asha

Visit site
Well done to all those out competing, much respect to those with the brave pants going to chatsworth .
Competing at Windsor in front of the Queen must be amazing !
We’ve been foal watching this weekend . Rustle is a gem , and loves to buck and jump . His poor mum spends most of her time running after him at the minute

Attachments

• 0FE3AB77-6BB7-435B-93A1-196B4FB02E08.jpeg
    0FE3AB77-6BB7-435B-93A1-196B4FB02E08.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 18
  • 576668F2-3A17-45A4-B9EA-662F9897943D.jpeg
    576668F2-3A17-45A4-B9EA-662F9897943D.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 21
  • A2D3735D-3A19-408A-AEF4-1B9B7880E424.jpeg
    A2D3735D-3A19-408A-AEF4-1B9B7880E424.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 5636D07A-1A12-46DD-9928-D5481E4E0559.jpeg
    5636D07A-1A12-46DD-9928-D5481E4E0559.jpeg
    495.6 KB · Views: 21

stangs

Visit site
@stangs how exciting. Hope it goes well. ?
Thank you. Unfortunately, the lovely horse in the videos turned out to be very girthy and stuffy to ride. Shame as he was genuinely a sweet horse, but likely an underlying issue there. An apt reminder as to why I stopped looking in the first place!

j1ffy

Visit site
Love the foal pics! And chilli looks very smart, going beautifully.

Thank you!

I’m pleased to say that we achieved objective number 1 this morning - we made it inside the white boards! We also completed the test, albeit Chilli was very tense and broke to canter a few times. He tried so hard though and the judge loved him.

I was very surprised to receive this!!
D4FBC100-E04E-4CD0-A976-15175D9F29CA.jpeg
I think I have a new favourite judge ?

Video here:

Objective 2 was to get a nice pro photo, but will have to wait until they’re online for that one.

SEL

Visit site
Started the weekend by drawing in blue chalk on the Appy as part of my massage diploma homework. It hasn't washed off yet....

Changed saddle on baby cob and had a more settled short schooling session on Friday and a little hack out yesterday with OH on foot. Can't see what's bothering him with the saddle he came with but something obviously is. Starting to get more confident out alone but I need a plan for roadwork with impatient drivers ? and an inexperienced horse.

Microcob hacked but is very wheezy despite drugs which is a shame. I've told her she's next to be coloured in because she's still shedding her coat so hopefully can shed chalk patches too!

scats

Visit site
Nice but tiring day at the Chester zoo ride. Millie was full of herself and finds busy car parks and lots of horses quite overwhelming. Met a friend there and just had a bit of an issue halfway round, at the start of the zoo path when friends horse kicked off and wouldn’t go forwards and they both got a bit nappy and silly. Fortunately another group of riders came through and we tagged on past the scary zoo animals and then we over took again a bit further on. Daft horses. Apart from that, which wasn’t actually her fault, Millie was brilliant.
She does find it very hard to wind down afterwards and I had a real time trying to get her to chill. Spinning, screaming, head in the air… and this was after 2 and a bit hours and 12-miles. Would have gladly swapped her for one of the many lovely chilled horses tied to or standing on lorries!
Friend said it’s like she’s got ADHD and just gets into her own head and can’t seem to switch off, which is quite a good observation really. Anyway, she finally settled on the way home and is having an hour in to chill while I’ve nipped home for a shower!

Before
E5D603FA-B7EA-452E-9489-5BFA039C0210.jpeg

After
1CF1F210-6295-43C2-8806-46009B987A5F.jpeg

Peglo

Visit site
We got to the show jumping today! The ground was great, soft but not slippy after all the rain we’ve had.

me and Tali did poles to start with and we trotted around and she stopped a few times at the fillers but after a wee look carried on over the poles (she jumped most of them ?) we hadn’t seen fillers before so I was ok with her having a look. We came 4th/4 as we took longest.

we entered into the 45(?) class and as we approached the first fence she popped herself into canter. The instructor we had on Thursday was there and said to let her figure it out so left her to canter. She was amazing and jumped every jump with only one down. She felt like she had worked out what to do and just went for it.

I could feel her tiring by the end so we must work on our fitness but we got 4th out of 6 because of the one pole down which I’m so chuffed with on our first attempt. I smiled all the way around.

well done everyone out doing real competing.
2B3A40B0-B3B2-4635-A3C1-3F6A57E2E040.jpg
a picture to show off our huge jumps ? and great mane