2yo (born in June) measures 14h - ?what will he make?

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Just wondered what you thought he might make?

His mum (first foal) full TB stood 15h. Dad full ID stood 16.2.

He measures at 14h this morning.

Any suggestions as to what height you think he will be?

Much appreciated.

X

sallyf

Visit site
My 2 yr old born end of april 2011 stands 15.1 1/2 higher behind.
Im expecting him to make somewhere between 16 hands and 16.3.
This boys full brother was 16 hands at 3 and has made 16.3 which is the only thing that makes me think this one could make as big.
Ordinarily with mine at the height he is now i would have said the lower end of my scale but know that this particular family keep growing

meesha

Visit site
My chap was passported at 15hh as a 2 year old, bought as 3 year old at 15.2hh and has matured at 16hh.

He is an appy, hope that helps

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
thanks all, I was hoping he would make around 16h plus but I have had my suspicions that he will be small. Anything below 16h is too small for me.

I'm thinking about selling him as I have a poss buyer (need to call them this week) and I just honestly don't have the time for him.

I have two horses (one who i'm looking forward to breaking in) and two 2yo in the field (plus a shetland)

We have no grass just now and this winter has been a struggle - my husband has sheep and he is very unhappy about the lack of grass when heading to lambing time. I know that the grass loss is not just down to the horses but its still a worry.

I just can't face next winter with the amount of horses I have and no help. I can't afford to pay someone to come and do them daily and for the last 3 months I have seen them by torchlight in the morning and night time. Its just rubbish and I hate it. Its not fair on them to be like this. They don't have a field shelter in their winter field (its 10 acre) and I can't afford to pay for one to be put in, nor can I find the time to bring them in and muck out 4 stables every day.

I have decided I probably need to sell my 2yo (the other belongs to a friend) to reduce numbers and it doesn't make sense to keep a youngster that will end up too small for me anyway!

Liane

Visit site
Not sure I am afraid but my 2yo (born in May) is getting on for 15.1-15.2hh at the moment, I was hoping he would be between 16hh-16.2hh (his parents size) but I think he might get quite a bit bigger as he is still very gangly and bum high :-O

Spring Feather

Visit site
One of my 2 year olds is just shy of 16hh and is on track to making between 16.2hh and 16.3hh. Dam and sire are 16.1hh and 17.1hh respectively. Another is 13.2hh, dam is 15.2hh and sire is 17.1hh and youngster is set to make between 15hh and 15.2hh.

I would think yours should make between 15hh and 15.2hh however it helps greatly if you know more about the way in which the dam and sire grew. Some family lines are very slow growing and keep on producing height until they're around 6 years old.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
thanks all.

the mum was out of a 16h mare by a 16.1 stallion and she only made 15h. She has good confirmation and temperament hence the reason I bred from her. She is now in a lovely home with a girl who loves her to bits as her temperament is fab.

I wanted to breed a ID x TB with the same temp - and got Haggis - he is very pretty, moves well except for a slight dish in front but nothing that would stop him from becoming a lovely riding club horse.

Only problem is that I think he may take after his mum in the height dept which is a bummer for me.

Pics of him taken last year:

Haggisasayearling.jpg

IMG_3813FB1_zps7726641c.jpg

Now I've pulled the pics up of him looking so pretty maybe I should keep him and hope he makes 16h! :)

Last edited:

Var

Visit site
I have a rising 2yo (june) who i measured at the weekend there - she's 14.3 3/4hh - I'd love it if she made 16hh but she's so petite in her frame that i suspect i might be lucky.

Have you done the string test which is apparently accurate?