3.5 lorries . . . . who's good & who to avoid!

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Hi all,

I've eventually come to the decision to bit the bullet & get a little lorry. The size tow car I'd need for my boy I just cant justify running with the mileage I do :rolleyes:

So, who are good & who to avoid? I'm after something second hand & very picky in regards to partitioning & having the rear separate to the horses due to a houdini youngster, so I'd rather something of good quality with a lower payload - only needs to carry me, him, tack & fuel.

I've heard of all the big names (way out of budget!) such as Bloomfields, John Oates, Equito etc but what about the likes of Owens, Marlborough, Boss, Foxy Twin, Staffordshire, Regent, Alexanders etc & are the Equitrek lorries build better than the trailers?

Thanks! :)

MissTyc

Visit site
A much more knowledgeable person will come along, but from experience, I don't rate the Equitrek lorries. Within the brands you list, there are some quality and price difference. The best ones retain their second hand value very well, esp "these days" it seems. Mine is "Travel Two" bespoke build so I drew up the interior exactly how I wanted it and they built it. Price-wise that compared with a second hand big brand but they had such a good reputation a took a risk. Two years later, I am extremely happy with my build. I travel three horses regularly including a 3yo who likes to throw himself about sometimes. I feel a lot safer than I used to in my old 3.5t which just didn't feel as sturdy (although never let me down, to be honest).

Bernster

Visit site
Bloomfield would be my top choice but pricey. Kevin Parker look good, a friend had both makes and they were both good builds. I used Freddie Gover, good build but paintwork on mine isn’t good but I seem to be an exception. Boss I liked too when looking.

At the less expensive range, I really liked my foxy twin. It was light and easy to drive. The floor needed replacing when I sold it and it was an aluminium floor over a wooden one, not solid aluminium so not as robust.

I thought owens looked a bit flimsy when I saw them. Alexander’s look good but I’ve not one in real life only online. Def not equitrek heard several bad comments inc from box builders and mechanics.

jnb

Visit site
Staffordshire Horseboxes are local to me and are very solid, will configure the way you want them. Not cheap but not Kevin Parker prices by a long way.

I wouldn't touch an Equitrek with someone else's barge pole...I cut my hand open on their Sonic demo tack locker at Badminton (INSIDE the horse area so God knows what it would have done to a horse's mouth/face!) Their salesperson couldn't have cared less & just left me bleeding..

Polos Mum

Visit site
With all of them you key point will be payload.

Average horse - 550 -650 kgs (and given you said towing size was an issue I guess bigger end of that)
Diesel - 100 kgs
You and occasionally friend and tack and water, couple of spare rugs - comfortably another 150-200kgs

So you're at 900 before you blink - get it properly weighed - some of the less scrupulous take out partitions, spare tire and all bar diesel fumes to weight them in at 1000 payload.

There was a 4.5 tonne recently for sale round here with nice living and only 1100 payload !!

With youngster I would definitely consider stallion layout vs/ any sort of breast bar. KPH said to me I should only use a breast bar with a harness fitted to hold them down if they try and go over the top ! I didn't fancy faffying with harness for youngster.

Budget is a consideration - there's a big variation in those you've mentioned.

Also timing - I spoke to a couple of recommended people who's next slot for build was August !! Second hand chassis's are increasingly hard to source - one place could only get insurance write offs that they then repaired. If you want a new chassis (and have budget for that) then there's more (but not great) availability of those.

Location relevant - you want to go and see them an talk to them about what you're after so one that is 250 miles away probably comes off the list. Several on your list I went to speak to and were really helpful with suggestions and ideas of things to think about.

TPO

Visit site
Well built good 3.5t are expensive unless you have a pet mechanic who can keep on top of welding and maintenance etc.

I was averaging 2.5k pa on my 3.5t (older iveco) plus MOT and insurance.

How many miles are you doing pa with your car?

I bought a 2nd hand Kia sportage 2l AWD at thr end of last year. It can tow 2.2t so more than enough for a trailer and one big horse I would have thought. I've not towed with it yet but am averaging 45mpg and that's mainly on winding country roads, not motorway driving.

Pre covid I was doing 25k miles pa with work and currently around 10-12k.

I know next to nothing about cars but the sportage was the most bang for my buck in 4wd towing vehicles that I could see. It's 3yrs old (car has to be under 5 for car allowance at work) and everything else in that age bracket was too expensive. It has plenty of "extras" that feature in the more expensive cars too.

I'm only planning on towing one but the trailers I'm looking at are under 1t so there is capacity to take 2 of mine in it safely.

L&M

Visit site
Maybe speak to Jake Rose at Warwickshire horseboxes - we had one of him and were very impressed with the selection available and also their service. He has a website and fb page.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
In terms of local people, Rose and Cadno (formerly John Rose, now run by John's son) have a very good reputation. They mostly make bigger lorries but have made 3.5t more recently so you might find one made by them for sale now. Maybe you could give them a ring to see if they have anything or know of a former customer selling theirs?

YorkshireLady

Visit site
so have a look here....though they have cut down the very detailed advice they use to have
https://www.traveltwohorseboxes.co.uk/help-and-advice

So there are many of these sold under brands that are the same build....the foxy twin, chaigley etc

I would avoid anything built on a chassis that means you have wheel arches in the horse area.

I have a marlborough that was built to my specification 7 years ago and it has been brilliant.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I bought my used box (Dereham) from Travel Two unseen. Polly is straight down the line. They also do they’re own builds to your spec - my friend has one of those. They delivered mine (for a reasonable fee) to West Sussex. It’s a used 20yr old Renault Master with low mileage, a solid box and runs lovely although I’ve an issue with the immobiliser at the moment which is a pita to sort out but no fault of TT.

I’d also recommend Marlborough I’ve a two friends with those - a very sound well made box. One was built on to order the other older box bought privately.

GreyDot

Visit site
I'm going to buck the trend here and say I have a great Equitrek Sonic - 2011 model and has remained in really good condition, I have had zero issues with it. One gripe is that the doorway to the tack area from the horse area (and the tack area to the outside) is quite narrow and difficult to negotiate with a saddle in your arms. I like the newer build boxes with the wider door, which doubles as an emergency exit.
My cousin has an Alexander and paid through the nose and although it is very pretty, the finishing is poor and they have had no end of minor issues.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
In terms of local people, Rose and Cadno (formerly John Rose, now run by John's son) have a very good reputation. They mostly make bigger lorries but have made 3.5t more recently so you might find one made by them for sale now. Maybe you could give them a ring to see if they have anything or know of a former customer selling theirs?

They came up on one of the dodgy fb groups the other week. I just can't remember exactly what for.

People do seem to have issues with Alexanders, though friend had a horse who used to kick the bulkhead a lot and it survived and overall was a no hassle box. Would have been 10ish years old now though.

Ditto southwest horse boxes as said before. I'd avoid unless they've really improved what they do.

Racemaster and three counties don't see to have had a mention and both build solid boxes.

welshstar

Visit site
Hi
I have a Hunter horse box, well built and seems to get good reviews from other people. It wasn’t silly priced and hasn’t needed anything other that normal maintenance for mots (brake disks, tyres etc)

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Thank you all for all the replies! Loads to take on board & I'll do some digging on the companies mentioned.

Mine is "Travel Two" bespoke build so I drew up the interior exactly how I wanted it and they built it. Price-wise that compared with a second hand big brand but they had such a good reputation a took a risk. Two years later, I am extremely happy with my build. I travel three horses regularly including a 3yo who likes to throw himself about sometimes. I feel a lot safer than I used to in my old 3.5t which just didn't feel as sturdy (although never let me down, to be honest).

That's really good to know. They have a few in at the moment I wouldn't mind having a look at with the intention of having some modifications done (full/anti jump wall put in) so may well see just how much a build will cost - although I'm not sure I'll stretch that far!

So you're at 900 before you blink - get it properly weighed - some of the less scrupulous take out partitions, spare tire and all bar diesel fumes to weight them in at 1000 payload.

With youngster I would definitely consider stallion layout vs/ any sort of breast bar. KPH said to me I should only use a breast bar with a harness fitted to hold them down if they try and go over the top ! I didn't fancy faffying with harness for youngster.

Thats one of the things I'm really big on - I want whatever I buy weighed with half a tank in at least so I know exactly what I have to spare. My boy is 650kg ish so like you said, that'll be used up quickly! There seems to be quite a few builders & dealers not to far away so would like to visit them to compare. Mines also a youngster so looking for either a stallion box or a long stall with a high partition & shelf. He's got in a pickle in a 7.5T so I know I cant have any 'gaps' he thinks he can squeeze through - because he'll try!

How many miles are you doing pa with your car?

I bought a 2nd hand Kia sportage 2l AWD at thr end of last year. It can tow 2.2t so more than enough for a trailer and one big horse I would have thought. I've not towed with it yet but am averaging 45mpg and that's mainly on winding country roads, not motorway driving.

I'm doing 25-30k a year in a Kia Sorento, and it doesn't like towing an empty box without be constantly going up and down the gears! My old shape Sorento was fantastic but had to go as it was rusting & very thirsty, but this newer one (still 10yrs old) gives me zero faith, just doesn't have the grunt there even though its supposedly having a 2500kg capacity. The only thing I seemed really happy with was a Touareg which I had inbetween, but it bled me dry! :eek:

Ooh I didnt know there was one so local, I'll get in touch with them thank you!

so have a look here....though they have cut down the very detailed advice they use to have
https://www.traveltwohorseboxes.co.uk/help-and-advice

So there are many of these sold under brands that are the same build....the foxy twin, chaigley etc

I would avoid anything built on a chassis that means you have wheel arches in the horse area.

I have a marlborough that was built to my specification 7 years ago and it has been brilliant.

I'll definitely get in touch with them tomorrow, they sound really helpful & have some good ones in. I've noticed with a lot of the stallion boxes they have them in the horse area & really don't fancy that! The Marlboroughs always look really solid.

I bought my used box (Dereham) from Travel Two unseen. Polly is straight down the line. They also do they’re own builds to your spec - my friend has one of those. They delivered mine (for a reasonable fee) to West Sussex. It’s a used 20yr old Renault Master with low mileage, a solid box and runs lovely although I’ve an issue with the immobiliser at the moment which is a pita to sort out but no fault of TT.

I’d also recommend Marlborough I’ve a two friends with those - a very sound well made box. One was built on to order the other older box bought privately.

I'll ring Polly tomorrow & see what she has to say. Luckily I'm fairly local too!

Reactions: TPO

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
At the less expensive range, I really liked my foxy twin. It was light and easy to drive. The floor needed replacing when I sold it and it was an aluminium floor over a wooden one, not solid aluminium so not as robust.

I thought owens looked a bit flimsy when I saw them. Alexander’s look good but I’ve not one in real life only online. Def not equitrek heard several bad comments inc from box builders and mechanics.

I've heard mixed reviews about the Alexanders & the Regents so think I'll stay clear! Owens looked good to me but then again I've not seen one in real life just the brochure. I have my eye on an older Foxy Twin at the moment, seems really solid but I'd probably need to replace the floor & put a wall in.

I have a very solidly built Theault. I love it and feel very safe in it.

I missed out on a Theault a few weeks ago & haven't seen one since - kicking myself! They're the only brand I know you really cant go wrong with but for that reason, they're like hens teeth!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've heard mixed reviews about the Alexanders & the Regents so think I'll stay clear! Owens looked good to me but then again I've not seen one in real life just the brochure. I have my eye on an older Foxy Twin at the moment, seems really solid but I'd probably need to replace the floor & put a wall in.

I missed out on a Theault a few weeks ago & haven't seen one since - kicking myself! They're the only brand I know you really cant go wrong with but for that reason, they're like hens teeth!

I Used to rent a new Theault a few years ago to go to shows and really loved it I would definitely buy one of I was wanting a 3.5 ton.

dotty1

Visit site
I got mine from Travel Two as well, had it nearly 7 years now….it’s been great, all I have done is replace the wood floor with aluminium planks. Build is solid, everything still works and nothing has fallen off!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have a Racemaster, built for me in 2012, its a lovely solid safe box.
By no means is it pretty like Bloomfields type, its coachbuilt and a good workhorse.
I got the floor replaced last year by friends carpenter/yachtsman husband, as it had reached the end of its life.
Its regularly serviced and I get a full safety check done annually on the body, with me inspecting in between.
It does need a front end of luton respray now, but the rest is still fine.
V happy to recco.