3.5 vans your experiences please

Tigertrot

Visit site
My much loved tow vehicle Ive had from new, she like me getting on a bit its been a long love affair is ill and in the garage awaiting parts
sooooo I have a shetland I show and got to thinking about 3.5 vans, it would mean no struggling to hitch a trailer and might wean me off my beloved land cruiser

so any thoughts?
makes that are recommended and makes to avoid
and donor vehicle thoughts
thank you

Shutterbug

Visit site
We got a conversion 3.5 ton about 4 years ago. We bought the van from a list of recommended vans and they converted it for us. I will never go back to towing a horse box again if I can help it. I love my van so much. No more awkward reversing (which I was rubbish at btw ?) and no more hitching up or unhitching in the dark

chaps89

Visit site
I loved loved loved my 3.5t van conversion. Only sold it because my ridden horse was pts and I wasn’t using it enough.
The only downside is it’s not great to leave them sitting about doing nothing - I was out in mine a minimum of once a week, often more so it was well worth it but when i dropped to using it only every 4-6 weeks I sold it (mostly because the market was so hot and to capitalise on the price, I might have been tempted to keep it otherwise and just tootle it out in between uses)
Tax and insurance were quite cheap and from prices other people on here have given on maintaining 4x4’s or bigger lorries, I don’t think it cost me much more maintaining the 3.5t and my daily car tbh.
Is it 3 counties who did the super cute conversion for mini ponies? Adorable!

Tigertrot

Visit site
We got a conversion 3.5 ton about 4 years ago. We bought the van from a list of recommended vans and they converted it for us. I will never go back to towing a horse box again if I can help it. I love my van so much. No more awkward reversing (which I was rubbish at btw ?) and no more hitching up or unhitching in the dark
I know, Im ok reversing its the hitching I cant do on my own
where did you buy from ?

Shutterbug

Visit site
We bought from Equi-Sport Horseboxes. You basically choose what you want colour wise, gadgets wise (we only got the in cab camera and reversing camera) and ours has a 1.2ton payload which is fantastic. We rarely take 2 anyway but it’s nice to know we can take 2 if they fit

L&M

Visit site
I had one that was converted by Three Counties and loved it. Perfect to travel my 15hh cob in and so much easier than a trailer. I paid £8500 but was over 10 years ago.

Mine was on a renault master chassis, with the vauxhall movano also popular.

If designing your own make sure you have a collapsible breast bar just in case your horse does try to go over it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I have a Fiat Ducato van and it's a fabulous donor vehicle, most often used by the motor home converters. I love my van and should have downsized from a 7.5t sooner.

Don't get your conversion done by Regent, they are cheap for a reason.

rowan

Visit site
I love my Vauxhall van, my son converted it for me to carry my mini Shetlands it's got a small bit of living enough space for me to sit down and have a cuppa also a cupboard built-in for storage etc. Ponies travel sideways in it and travel really well wouldn't be without my Shetmobile :)

Tigertrot

Visit site
I love my Vauxhall van, my son converted it for me to carry my mini Shetlands it's got a small bit of living enough space for me to sit down and have a cuppa also a cupboard built-in for storage etc. Ponies travel sideways in it and travel really well wouldn't be without my Shetmobile :)
Thats interesting, mine would mostly be a shetmobile?

ycbm

Visit site
And just for balance, I've never had any (significant) issues, just some normal wear &tear, with my Regent

Mine was new build. Needed a new ramp at under 1 year old, windows leaked, partition rusted, top doors drop and won't fasten, electrics are "odd", paintwork is just dire ... and I know I'm not alone.

They are value for money and I would buy again but only because I have a tame mechanic and my seller was not Regent themselves but an intermediary :)

Flame_

Visit site
I don't think Regent are particularly cheap now.

I've been looking at van boxes and my Mum liked the look of Regents but a lot of the used ones for sale have either had total resprays or the paintwork is a terrible mess. It did put me off them, and as I say, the new builds don't strike me as particularly cheap now.

On the other hand, you couldn't pay me to take on a Fiat!

ycbm

Visit site
I don't think Regent are particularly cheap now.

I've been looking at van boxes and my Mum liked the look of Regents but a lot of the used ones for sale have either had total resprays or the paintwork is a terrible mess. It did put me off them, and as I say, the new builds don't strike me as particularly cheap now.

On the other hand, you couldn't pay me to take on a Fiat!

The only reason the Fiat Ducato isn't used for horseboxes is most of them go to make camper vans. I love mine.

The paint on Regents is truly dire. It chips like bu**ery, there is no adhesion between the basecoat and the topcoat. The paint doesn't adhere to any of the seals on the wheel arches etc and the hinges on the ramp are completely rusted.

Mine was good value at £27k on a low mileage manufacturer warranted base against at least £35k for an equivalent build by someone like Boss, but I did need a tame mechanic to sort out the niggles and a return to Regent for a 12 month warranty replacement ramp.

Visit site
We have a Renault Master base, a Fiat Ducato base and a Peugeot base at work. The Renault Master has had the most use and least work. I can't remember who made it, not a well known company anyway. Its nice to drive and the most comfortable too. The Fiat is a Bloomfields and was great up to 80,000 miles. Its been a bit of a hassle since with gear boxes, clutch etc. Including yesterday when I didn't think I was going to get home from Newcastle... the Peugeot is the nicest to drive, engine has had quite a few problems though but it is the oldest of the boxes and an Equi-trash. I would not recommend in the slightest.