3.5t conversions running costs.

tillsmum

Visit site
I am nearly there with convincing my hubby on a box v's a trailer but he wants to know how much roughly tax and insurance will be. Can anyone give me rough idea. I was looking at the Renualt Master ones.

Thanks in advance.

Angelbones

Visit site
My insurance with NFU is about £420 pa (it's a 57 reg, value around £28K, with two other names drivers - one of whom is early 20s), can't remember tax off the top of my head but £450 rings a bell. I also don't know the cost of the annual service/MOT yet as just got mine.. My tank takes £115 of diesel and is economical but I would guess I'd fill it up twice over the summer if we are out locally say twice per week but again only guessing. Sorry it's all so vague!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Insurance for an 08 purpose built 16k Movano is £230. That is any driver over 25 with my permission, KBIS, plus breakdown extra
tax is £260 last time, I think, or thereabouts

Last edited:

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
Tax and insurance pales in comparison with the repair and maintenance costs on mine at the mo - they're big vehicles with conversions mostly done at a later date so things can go wrong. It's an 09 conversion on a 56 Renault master and in the last 12 months it's needed a new bulkhead, bottom ramp, fan repair, *entire computer management system thingy* and service and mot. Total cost £3k!!!

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
On a possibly more helpful note than my post above, I've always allowed £1k/year to cover tax, insurance, breakdown cover, fuel, mot and basic service, plus including this year's big bills over 5 years I've spent on average £850/year on maintenance and repairs. You def need to allow £500/year for this and have a slush fund to cover unexpected big bills.

Last edited:

PaddyMonty

Visit site
On the other hand, our 3.5t is coming up to 4 years old since conversion. 54 plate with 186,000 on the clock.
Apart from the annual MOT (same as car) which it passed first time each time, the only thing that has needed replacing was a power steering pump which was about £60 and fitted in 10 minutes.
As far as the conversion to horse box goes. Not a single screw has come loose in 4 years.

ETA - Insurance about £240 inc breakdown cover, tax same as normal car. MPG about 35. Sure is a lot cheaper to run than the previous 7.5t and also cheaper than running 4x4 around all the time just to tow trailer.

Last edited:

webble

Visit site
98 plate renault master. Insurance for any driver over 25 inc breakdown cover £274 for the year. Service is about the same as a car really so depending where you go £150-£300. Tax on mine is £240 for a year. It does about 30mpg with two 14.2 ponies onboard

EstherYoung

Visit site
We get about 40mpg out of ours, a bit better or worse depending on what we're doing with it. The bodywork has needed a bit of patching as they are susceptible to rust, we've also needed a power steering pump, and we had a blocked diesel line. Renault do tend to make a lot of seals and tensioners out of plastic, which break or crack (drives our mechanic nuts, but he is used to land rovers), so you do need to keep on top of the servicing.

Meems

Visit site
98 plate renault master. Insurance for any driver over 25 inc breakdown cover £274 for the year. Service is about the same as a car really so depending where you go £150-£300. Tax on mine is £240 for a year. It does about 30mpg with two 14.2 ponies onboard

Same as Webble except mine is a 2003 Vauxhall Movano.