3.5t Horse Lorry, Needle in a hay stack!?

CeeCee

Visit site
Been done to death I'm sure but HHO search isn't proving helpful!

So what I want to know is how did you find yours? Internet, word of mouth, local tack shop?

I'm spending a good deal of my time searching for a 3.5t lorry, nothing special I may add but where on earth are they? Seen some ridiculously overpriced lorries, the usual scammers and one that I thought was ideal only to be gazumped the day before collecting it. I'm on all the facebook groups and keep checking the usual sites. Any ideas of more places to look or anyone had any success with a wanted ad?

Any tips welcomed!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Will be watching this as my friend is looking for one. Not van conversions.

To carry one possibly two horses no bigger than 16:hh and light weight.

Abacus

Visit site
May I ask your budget, size of horses to be carried and any other specifics of what you want? Unfortunately they are quite expensive (but lovely once you have one).

CeeCee

Visit site
Looking to carry one 16.1hh TB, I wouldn't get away with anything else due to weight, based in Surrey but more than happy to travel.

My budget is 4k possibly a bit more as I said not looking for anything fancy just realistically priced, I realise it won't look pretty and will be old ish but 6k for a 20 year old box with no MOT is madness!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
I doubt you could even get one horse in either of those and still be within weight limit.
The first has been converted without any consideration to the weight added. Details state unladen weight of 1200kg. They are kidding, basic chassis without box would be considerably above that. ramp would be stupidly heavy and tack locker is made of steel.
Second one is downrated from 5.5t to 3.5t. Now you really need minimum payload of 750kg just to carry lightweight horse, tack, people and fuel. I dont know of many (any?) 5.5t horse boxes with an available payload of 2750kg.
Both of these would probably be a very bad buy.

CeeCee

Visit site
Exactly PaddyMonty, can't understand why they think it would be worth that sort of money just makes the job of looking for something even harder when some are so overpriced.

Thanks Abacus, I do have the first one on my watch list, TBH i'm not really looking for the Van types anyway, like you said I don't think my budget is strong enough to find a half decent one of those. I think on the second one you'd paying for the fact it looks nicer with a bit of living, as it is older with more miles on and less MOT than the first. For me I'd rather pay for something that looked a little tatty but had more MOT with less miles.

CeeCee

Visit site
I doubt you could even get one horse in either of those and still be within weight limit.
The first has been converted without any consideration to the weight added. Details state unladen weight of 1200kg. They are kidding, basic chassis without box would be considerably above that. ramp would be stupidly heavy and tack locker is made of steel.
Second one is downrated from 5.5t to 3.5t. Now you really need minimum payload of 750kg just to carry lightweight horse, tack, people and fuel. I dont know of many (any?) 5.5t horse boxes with an available payload of 2750kg.
Both of these would probably be a very bad buy.

Good advice, thank you. I did contact a lady the other day with a box on ebay advertised as a 3.5t it looked very large for that so when I e-mailed to find out the unladen weight she had no idea! How on earth can you advertise something as 3.5 and not know the weight, super dodgey!

Abacus

Visit site
I do agree with the comments above. They were the best I could find (believe me, there are worse out there!). It may be the case that your budget just won't buy anything worth having... sorry. :(

CeeCee

Visit site
I do agree with the comments above. They were the best I could find (believe me, there are worse out there!). It may be the case that your budget just won't buy anything worth having... sorry. :(

Totally agree, loads worse out there! The good ones seem to pop up every now and then but obviously go quickly, I was just wondering if anyone had more success with word of mouth and local tack shop adverts etc. Thanks for your help :)

ktj1891

Visit site
The cheapest I have found that isnt a rust bucket is from Three counties horseboxes. I have to save a little more but looking to get something on a 2001/2002 chasis basic conversion starting at £7100.00. I have to say I have been looking loads as well and not sure what you would get for £4000.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes I'd say that was a pretty tight budget for a good 3.5T ie one with payload and a safe conversion. I guess as much as anything that there wasn't so much demand for them until the law changed re. towing so there aren't many good old ones about = increased prices. Of the two linked on ebay am hoping its the angle of the photograph that makes the silver/blue one look very tall- and the other downgraded from a 5.5 must be pretty heavy unloaded (they don't say)

Last edited:

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
I some times think its better/more cost effective/safer to do the c1 licence and then buy either a 7.5tn or between 3.5 and 7.5. why do I say this.

the actual legal weight of the payload on a 3.5tn isn't enough to carry 2 decent sized/built horses, gear/fuel/passengers, the cost of the small boxes is also daft, you fork out to do the c1, the cost of that is set off instantly as the larger boxes tend to be cheaper. have a look at what you can get for 5-6k on the larger lorries, and make a few enquires in to the cost of tax/doing the test etc.

Sunshine

Visit site
I am a little concerned about the lack of a breast bar in one of those two on ebay.

We have an ancient Lambourne Racemaster 3.5t side ramp, no frills except cut through to cab, but we laid it up and SORN'd her last year in favour of a 6.5t version with a little more living area as we felt the chassis was becoming too old. Several people suggested we transfer the aluminium panel, professionally built, body onto a newer chassis, but it isn't economically viable for us, especially as the capacity is only about 1100kg. Good enough for one horse, but I wouldn't carry two 16.2 modern horses, bearing in mind it was built for skinny racers. However, now it isn't worth much for sale because it has no MOT or tax. I suppose that if someone has gone to the trouble and expense of transferring to a new chassis they are going to be keeping it a little longer or would be wanting to recoup cost and/or profit.

It can be more beneficial to do the towing and HGV licences in the long run because of the flexibility it gives you, but 7.5t wagons come with other problems like plating, storage and fuel efficiency if you would only carry one horse.

CeeCee

Visit site
Thanks all.

Interesting ideas on doing the C1 test something I hadn't thought of doing as I'd only ever need to travel one but prices do seem a lot more resonable for a larger lorry.

Sunshine - Funny you pointed out the breast bar as I had the same conversation with my husband about another box that just had those plastic guards, I do believe its the law to have a breast bar in trailers? I'm guessing this is not the case for boxes?

ROG

Visit site
Thanks all.

Interesting ideas on doing the C1 test something I hadn't thought of doing as I'd only ever need to travel one but prices do seem a lot more resonable for a larger lorry.

Sunshine - Funny you pointed out the breast bar as I had the same conversation with my husband about another box that just had those plastic guards, I do believe its the law to have a breast bar in trailers? I'm guessing this is not the case for boxes?
Because of the licence changes in 1997 it put 3.5 tonners at a premium price

The changes did the same for lightweight trailers for down plating and towing on a B only licence

LGV training ... check out the LGV CLINIC link in my signature in my signature below

CeeCee

Visit site
Thanks all, it seems I have misjudged just how sought after they are, my initial looking around in prices wasn't thorough enough and only when I looked in detail that most of these "cheap" boxes are cheap for a reason!

I'll look into a LGV test and keep my eye out for a gem!

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
We have an oldie VW LT35 and have been quite impressed with it. It might be worth doing what we did and buying one that DID need work. But pay the appropriate amount for it. That way, you get the work done to your spec and you know it's done right, it means we know we have all the metalwork ok and the floor is new. That can still be done within your budget.

The ramp is quite steep on these types tho. Movano and Master types are lower, but then they aren't as good on muddy or slippy grass as the VW as they are lower cos they are FWD and no drive to the back wheels (the VW has rear wheel drive which means the body has to be higher for the mechanism to go to the rest axle).

The VW will only carry two small ponies legally, or one horse, as will most 3.5Ts. A few of most modern ones will carry two, due to lightweight materials, but I prefer something more solid to carry my nag TBH anyway!

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
Thanks all, it seems I have misjudged just how sought after they are, my initial looking around in prices wasn't thorough enough and only when I looked in detail that most of these "cheap" boxes are cheap for a reason!

I'll look into a LGV test and keep my eye out for a gem!

Go for the test, you'll have much better choice. Even the best made 3.5 tonners look really scary to me, I wouldn't feel happy transporting a horse in one.

Sunshine

Visit site
If they are properly coachbuilt by a reputable manufacturer there is no reason at all to be wary about travelling a horse in one. However, these ones tend to hold value because they are built correctly and safely.
We never had any problems at all with ours, it has been up and down the country, to Europe and never let us down mechanically nor had any problems in the horse area. It was just the classic Fiat Iveco tin worm on the cab that meant it was becoming uneconomic.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If they are properly coachbuilt by a reputable manufacturer there is no reason at all to be wary about travelling a horse in one. However, these ones tend to hold value because they are built correctly and safely.

This ^

Mine happily bumbles about locally & also is pretty nippy for the motorways if needed.
Its solid in build & is good to handle - I admit I was bothered going down in size - having previously driven 7.5 upwards and for over 10yrs taking 38ft rigids to europe & back. This box suprised me as it IS so stable :)

OP, good luck in your quest

pipsqueek

Visit site
Be very careful!! Some of the older 3.5tonnes have little more than plywood separating you from the horse, also, whilst the paintwork etc might look ok on the outside the underneath might be rusted & cost you more than the actual box is worth just to get through mot... definitely worth checking out thoroughly whatever you are looking at. Also you need to know what you can actually carry in it weight-wise or it won't be worth having. Good luck!!

Walrus

Visit site
I think your budget is just too low. I looked for months for mine and also bought in the 'off-season' (November, in terrible weather when the guy just wanted it off his drive now his kids had lost interest). I paid 5k for mine which was a bargain, it is one of the van style ones not a coach built style one and we also had to spend about 500 in minor repairs. It's a 2001 reg with about 96k miles and I reckon I could get 7k for it right now at this time of year.

When I was looking I worked out that they are so sought after they get to a certain value and just don't depreciate anymore, they don't seem to go down below 4-4.5k no matter how old, decrepit, high mileage they are! You definitely do get more for your money with a 7.5t or you have to have patience, give it time and be prepared to move fast with cash!

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
the plating on a 7.5tn (presume 3.5tn-7.5tn is the same) is around 100 quid, id find a couple online you like, enquire, as to cost of tax, and if you cn see the number plate do an insurance quote.
I bought a Bedford tk a few years back, paid 1500 for it, it failed a plating, so its second was done at half the cost, (bloody thing needed a fog light) tax was I think 87 for 6 months (but it was classed as
a classic lol) it went all over the south west, took 3 horses had living and people loved it, it sold for 3 times what I paid. on the down side some thing that old didn't have mod cons or power steering lol

miss_c

Visit site
Your budget is less than mine was when I initially looked for a 3.5t box a few years ago. We found nothing I would be happy to put my horses in, and so doubled the budget and bought the one I have now. It's been fab, taken me all over the country. I've just passed my C1 as I want to take two horses so it's going and I'm really going to miss it. :( It really is worth upping your budget as much as possible - should theoretically mean less maintenance on a newer box as well.

Hipo

Visit site
If you're buying a rear facing 3.5 ton, be aware that they can climb into the rear tack area unless its properly partitioned off. We used to have a van type 3.5 ton, which I loved. I'd read about horses climbing over into the back, but never thought our pony would. Its not a nice experience having 650kg of pony climbing and getting stuck in the rear on the motorway!
We have a 6.5 ton now, which I had to up the budget for, as we'd looked for 6 months at rubbish and rust buckets.

suestowford

Visit site
I have a 7.5 ton lorry. It weighs 4.25 tons with nothing in it so the payload is huge. It is also really solidly built, and no bigger than a lot of the 3.5 tonners out there, so easy to drive in the smallest places.
When I was box-hunting I looked at a lot of 3.5 ton boxes and couldn't find one I was happy with that could take the weight I needed to load. There was one, a lovely box really, beautifully done out, but the payload was only 700kg. And it was stalled for two...