3.5T horsebox and payload

silvershadow81

Visit site
What is the best/ safest 3.5T horsebox manufacturer with the highest payload?!

my brain is exploding doing so much research. Is it possible to transport two horses safely (Legally) in a 3.5t

interested to hear of any makes to look at/ avoid!

ihatework

Visit site
Bloomfields are one of the best on the market IMO.

The thing is, the better built and more reinforced - the lower the payload.

Realistically I think you are really only going to get about 1.1T to play with and by the time you account for fuel, water, passengers, kit you will always be struggling with 2 horses up.

Spottyappy

Visit site
My new build, not conversion or “can van” on 2012 Renault master chassis has a payload of 1200kg, With half a tank of fuel, and also various pieces of kit we keep in her.
my horses weigh between 400-500kg, so I can legally transport 2 plus 2 people.
The build is, imho, very good. My previous mare Was a kicker when travelling, and kicked 10 bales out of the bulk head, and it has withstood it fine. The customer service when I had an issue, however was lacking..... pm me if you want the name of the builder.

MissTyc

Visit site
I seem to remember there's a Boss box on the market with 1300kg payload, but I think it sets one one back a pretty penny ... as in over £40k starting price ...

A safe conversation with standard fitting and no extra "bits" should give you between 1000-1150kg to play with. I only have little horses with target weights around 400-450kg so it works for me. Or one bigger horse ...

MyBoyChe

Visit site
My renault master conversion is 1.1, with a heavy pony plus fuel, water, stuff and me I wont risk it. Ive just bought a little sec b and tbh, even though he's a little tiddler I would still be over so sadly, cant take them out together

Hillpark

Visit site
My Boss lorry has 1200kg (long stall and only one external tack locker) with very basic living. By stripping everything out and keeping it simple, I've increased the payload even though I only travel one welsh cob. :)

Leandy

Visit site
Is it possible to transport two horses safely (Legally) in a 3.5t

Only if they are ponies realistically and you won't have much payload (nor space in the average 3.5t) for much clobber. If you want to transport two you need to look at bigger lorries or go for towing veihcle and trailer.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I think the Bloomfields One has a payload of around 1.1 tons. My Bloomfields legacy S has around 900kg payload AFTER driver (me) and fuel. A friends Bloomfields stallion box is slightly less. If you want safety then the box won't be light. It's worth considering doing your lorry test and updating to a 3.9 ton if you want to take two big horses.

ETA I get my ponies weighed on a weighbridge every 3 months so I know for definite that I can only take one of my ponies places at a time, although my shetland could go along too for fun if I wanted ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
To work out weights, add 100kg to the horse carried (at a minimum) for rider, tack and riding gear.

2 x 500kg animals plus 2 persons is absolutely bang on the max for a 1200kg payload left. This doesnt allow for carrying water (1litre = 1kg) or any extra fuel (also 1 litre = 1kg)

Also, check payload weight has been done with spare wheel in, min of half a tank of fuel, partition, wheel jack etc all on board. Its surprising how many are not weighed complete.....

Warning: My neighbour has payload ticket at 1203 for her 4 yr old box built for her and delivered 1 week before shutdown.
Her husband took it to local aggregate weigh bridge at end of May, it weighed 1098 (I can remember this as one of my bikes is a 1098 lol), with a bit less fuel in. Helpful chaps there helped him remove a few bits and 'bingo' box weighed just under 1200.
Talks are ongoing still, apparently..... this was to take 2 x 450ish ponies in.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My new build, not conversion or “can van” on 2012 Renault master chassis has a payload of 1200kg, With half a tank of fuel, and also various pieces of kit we keep in her.
my horses weigh between 400-500kg, so I can legally transport 2 plus 2 people.
Have you had your box on the weighbridge with your two horses, two people, kit and tack etc in it?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine is Bloomfields, built for one with loads of extras (fan, water tank, shower, wardrobe, huge tack locker, extra windows) and it came in with 800kg left. They had warned me as I added each extra but I wasn't bothered as I had it uprated to 3.95 tonnes from 3.5. That was the plan to start with. That is plenty for one horse, 2 people, water, hay, etc etc etc.

I would not try to get a 3.5 for 2 horses.

chaps89

Visit site
Warning: My neighbour has payload ticket at 1203 for her 4 yr old box built for her and delivered 1 week before shutdown.
Her husband took it to local aggregate weigh bridge at end of May, it weighed 1098 (I can remember this as one of my bikes is a 1098 lol), with a bit less fuel in. Helpful chaps there helped him remove a few bits and 'bingo' box weighed just under 1200.
Talks are ongoing still, apparently..... this was to take 2 x 450ish ponies in.

Eek, that's quite frightening.

Mine supposedly has 1280kg payload. I can believe it as it's very basic (but if I were to ever to want to travel 2 I would probably re-weigh it to be sure!) Previous owner travelled 2 x 16hh in it though :eek: I'd suspect you need to look at upgrading to 3.9t or go for a 4.5t+ box if you want to take 2 together.

Bernster

Visit site
I had 1.1t in my 3.5t but it was a basic box from foxy twin with nothing in the living. I updated it to 3.9t to get extra to carry 2 smaller horses but didn’t have payload for much in the way of extras. Have gone for a 4.5t now from Freddie Gover and have nearly 1.8t payload for 2.

L&M

Visit site
2 ponies or 1 horse - I have yet to see a 3.5t that can legally take 2 horses if you factor in fuel, tack, passengers etc.....even with 1200kg payload it would only take very little to push it over.

Teaboy

Visit site
I think Theault 3.5s, which are considered to be one of the best builds, very minimal but well made in regards to horses safety and comfort have a payload of around 1000kg. So in that case you couldn’t legally carry 2 horses. Personally I have given up looking at 3.5, possibly even 3.9, and will only look at 4.5s now.

Chippers1

Visit site
Mine has a payload of 900kg but I only ever take my around 400kg pony in it and normally travel on my own (I don't weigh a lot!) It's a van type and fits Buzz in perfectly (he's 14hh) with a bit in the back for tack and a little seat but there's no way I'd put a bigger horse in and I definitely wouldn't ever fit two in, as much as other people want me too...:rolleyes:

Pippity

Visit site
My conversion has a payload of just over 1.2 with half a tank of fuel. I'd be prepared to carry mine (570kg) and one other (if under 430kg), but only if the other person went in a separate car with all tack, water, etc. No 3.5t is capable of carrying two horses, two riders and all their gear.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Mine is a conversion. Weighbridge shows it as having 1.14 payload.

I'll take two ponies or one horse.

I don't have or take much extra in either the cab or the back.

Tempted to swap for a 7.5 so I have more flexibility. Had one before that supposedly had 2.5 payload and was stalled for four, which was in no way right. Once took three friends horses and had the friends go in their own cars.

Asha

Visit site
Ours has a payload of 1080kg (With half a tank of fuel ), built to our spec . Which was as basic but solid as possible . So we have had an extra bar put on side wall for extra strength . Full wall in horse area, we copied the bloomsfield layout inside as to me it looks the best around .

silvershadow81

Visit site
Thank you all so much. We have decided to get a 3.5 to only have one horse (as this is mainly what most of our journeys are) this will allow us to have some basic day living in too.

Went to see Bloomfields factory and WOW! really impressed, so have popped deposit down!! fun part of specifying extras now! (going to keep the trailer to be able to travel two - or three with the lorry) should we ever need too!

Bernster

Visit site
Oh wow that’s amazing! Pls do post updates as I think it’s great to follow progress. Bloomfields would be my go to. I had mine built (not by them) but communications wasn’t a strong point so I only got a few in-build pics.

silvershadow81

Visit site
Oh wow that’s amazing! Pls do post updates as I think it’s great to follow progress. Bloomfields would be my go to. I had mine built (not by them) but communications wasn’t a strong point so I only got a few in-build pics.
I will do!never considered a 3.5T but realistically we only travel one, so why not get one and have some comforts for us! luckily they are only 20 mins from us so they mre or less said keep popping down... so excited! x

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
Please don’t rely on a weighbridge ticket unless you have done it yourself. Take your lorry and get it weighed yourself: with partitions in, the spare wheel in situ, a half tank of diesel and mats in place. Too many small lorries get their weighbridge ticket when they are weighed completely empty and on fuel fumes.

silvershadow81

Visit site
Please don’t rely on a weighbridge ticket unless you have done it yourself. Take your lorry and get it weighed yourself: with partitions in, the spare wheel in situ, a half tank of diesel and mats in place. Too many small lorries get their weighbridge ticket when they are weighed completely empty and on fuel fumes.
Thanks for the tip, we will do that so we know for sure. Apparently we do not need to carry a spare wheel anymore- so that should save some weight?!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, we will do that so we know for sure. Apparently we do not need to carry a spare wheel anymore- so that should save some weight?!
You dont, no.
However, I do carry one up in the Luton bit of mine, punctures often happen at v odd hours when travelling horses, so I know I can get underway quite quickly if necessary, 30 to 40kg.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Bloomfields are a good company & yes you can get their horseboxes with a payload of 1100 kg however don't assume that the one you are viewing has that capacity. I know someone who has a Bloomfield and it has got a fridge plus heating etc in it and the ULW is just over 600 kg. She owns a pony & she is a 'dot' so they can go places within weight but if she took a passenger she would be over weight. Always ask to see a weight certificate for the vehicle, never take the sellers word. A weight certificate costs about £10 & is easy to get. Unless you are carrying minitures/shetlands then don't expect to be able to carry 2 horses when you have 2 persons on board & tack for 2 horses etc because you will be most likely over weight.