3.5t horsebox market

chaps89

Visit site
I have a 2005 Renault Master van conversion.
From what I can see on FB, prices seem to be as bonkers as the horse market currently is.
But has anyone bought/sold one lately who can give me an idea of whether they're actually fetching crazy prices?
Any good places to advertise, advert hints?
I was planning on selling in August/September anyway but wondering if I just ought to bite the bullet and sell now after all.

FFAQ

Visit site
I've got one for sale. I put it on for 10k ovno thinking that a lot of horsey negotiating seems to be half the asking price and then negotiate until you agree a price somewhere around the 75% mark, but actually I haven't had a single enquiry ?. I have had the van completely mechanically overhauled this year and spent £2000 on it, then both my horses were diagnosed with arthritis and I came to the decision to abandon my dressage dreams (i'm terrible at it anyway) and sell the box to try to recuperate some money.
I think part of the problem is that it looks tatty compared to the shiny ones you can buy from south west horseboxes, but in actual fact it is in a much better condition mechanically than it was when I bought it ?‍♀️

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I sold mine this year, it was a couple of years older than yours (03) with some work needing doing to it and it sold for the asking price to the first to view. I thought I'd priced it slightly high but I actually think I could have got more for it...

TPO

Visit site
I sold my 3.5t coachbuilt round about this time last year. I'm in Scotland and wanted rid asap so priced it too low with hindsight but I was happy for a hassle free sale.

It was bought by a dealer in england who had someone collect it, transferred all funds and it was hassle free. Might be worth contacting some local dealers if people arent biting through normal adverts

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I'm looking, and I can't afford current prices, they're ridiculous for what you get. I'd happily get another 7.5t, much better value for money, but I haven't the space atm.

From a seller's pov, whack a decent price on it and test the market.

Reactions: TPO

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve just bought a 2002 Dereham Renault Master unseen with 17,000 miles from new for £12,500 as it was from a reputable dealer and it had been MOT, serviced, 4 new tyres, new cam belt, has a jump barrier already retro fitted and is pretty immaculate. It’s also been strengthened so it can be uprated to 3.9t if I want it to. They delivered it as well as it was up in Wales.

As someone who’s been looking for a long time certain known good builds like Marleborough hold their price and go quickly. An unknown build from a private seller is likely to take longer.

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks all, lots of food for thought.
It's not a known conversion but I've known it since conversion (owned by 2 friends prior to me, 1 of whom was the one who converted it) and cosmetically it isn't super smart but it's structurally and mechanically sound and has a reasonable payload.
I'll be sad to see it go but it's just not getting enough use now I don't have my own horse.
I have a car I need to sell first, once that's sorted I'll get a fresh service and mot on the box and get it up asap, I can take offers thankfully as I bought it very cheap but it seems to make sense to try and make the most of prices seeming higher, will make a difference to house deposit find anyway if I can.

Barlow

Visit site
Slightly off track from this, but I had to actually increase my insured value with my renewal, because of the upwards prices.
Can I ask how you did this please as I am thinking about doing the same? Did they ask for any evidence or did they just take your word for it?

chaps89

Visit site
I've just paid 8.5k for one same make same age.
That's really handy to know, thankyou. Do you mind me asking if it was a known conversion and how many miles it had as a comparison please?

Would it be worth tarting it up a little before selling? It's completely serviceable and usable as it is now, just some of the lining in the groom's area could do with replacing as the paint is peeling. And bodywork, you can still see the marks from where it had signage when it was a work van, worth having that polished out?

Spottyappy

Visit site
Can I ask how you did this please as I am thinking about doing the same? Did they ask for any evidence or did they just take your word for it?
They asked me if I wanted to increase it, as it came up for renewal- something I have never been asked before! I know it’s up to the owner keep an eye on values, as they usually go down, but the insurance rarely ask you then, i notice! But, trying to find something comparable was difficult, as it’s a make that rarely seem to be sold on, as folk keep them. I did increase it by 2k in the End, going by similar age/mileage and other builders being sold at.