3.5T lorry with payload for 2 x 16.2hh?

Olliepop

Visit site
Does anyone know of any 3.5T horseboxes out on the market which have enough payload to carry two large horses plus tack etc etc?

I don't have the old licence to drive anything bigger so am currently looking at whether this would be an option. Otherwise, will have to do towing test or larger vehicle test.

Thanks.

abbijay

Visit site
I have a clydesdale who weighs around 950kg and have yet to find one i would reliably put him in. the best payload i found was 1180kg but take off driver, passenger, tack, fuel, hay, water and im getting very close to the limit. Assuming both horses weigh in excess of 500kg you will do well to find one.

Cragrat

Visit site
If you do find one, I would VERY carefully inspect it for strength and safety. They can only make them light enough by using the minimal amount of structural materials.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
You could check out the new Equitrek Atom. According to the blurb, it has an unladen weight of 2100kg, presumably leaving 1400 kg for cargo.

http://www.equi-trek.com/uk/small-horsebox/atom

Personally, I dislike 3.5 tonners, but they are everywhere these days. Much better, IMHO, to take your test and have a 5 tonne plus box, especially if you want to carry two.

DunDally

Visit site
You could check out the new Equitrek Atom. According to the blurb, it has an unladen weight of 2100kg, presumably leaving 1400 kg for cargo.

http://www.equi-trek.com/uk/small-horsebox/atom

Personally, I dislike 3.5 tonners, but they are everywhere these days. Much better, IMHO, to take your test and have a 5 tonne plus box, especially if you want to carry two.

Saw this at Badminton and felt this was very much a pony box. Don't think it would be big enough for our one 16hh PRE x TB. Not at all sure he would fit comfortably lengthwise into the horse area. Other than that, it looked a nice little box.

ROG

Visit site
Going to need a LGV C1 licence and a 5 tonner horsebox or a B+E licence and tow a 2 horse trailer

Olliepop

Visit site
B+E it is then. We have a Range Rover for towing but I just really don't want to take another driving test. I'm sure I have so many bad habits!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
You wont find one, not a safe one anyway. Mine has 1.1 payload but take off fuel, driver, tack, water etc and you are left with about 800kg which is just enough for my highland, husband and jrt :) There is no problem getting 2 x 16.2 tb types in, the issue is that they would have to learn to drive it themselves!

Newlands

Visit site
Very unlikely. I love my 3.5tn box but it's a 1 horse box regardless of what all the stupid takes 2 x 17hh adds may say.

doesnt exist. suck it up and get c1. i took my test n a transit van after 12 hours tuition.

Sorry to hijack your thread Olliepop!

But I may be upgrading my 3.5 so would need to take my C1. Does this mean I could do my test in my lorry or my husband VW crafter?

ROG

Visit site

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
There is no problem getting 2 x 16.2 tb types in, the issue is that they would have to learn to drive it themselves!

I've got 2 x 16.2 tbs and they weigh 575kg and 535kg and the lighter one is a bit underweight so will weigh more eventually so they would be over by themselves.

Plus the 3.5s built to get the maximum payload are going to be expensive. You can train and take C1 and buy a bigger box and still have change.

wkiwi

Visit site
There is no problem getting 2 x 16.2 tb types in, the issue is that they would have to learn to drive it themselves!
Love it! How old does the horse have to be to get its driving licence and is there an equine-friendly sat-nav they could buy? It would be great if they could get there and warm up so we could have a sleep in.
On second thoughts, maybe they would choose to go to the beach rather than a horse show...