3.5t VW LT35 reviews

MSS

Visit site
Hi,

I been looking at 3.5t boxes and like the VW LT35's can people give me their honest opinions of them? And what kind of payload you have on them? Also do they have any common problems that I should look out for?

My girl is only 15hh and weighs only 450kg, but would be nice if it was possible to have another horse traveling with her at time, but if not it isn't major problem.

Many Thanks!!! :)

Dizzle

Visit site
I think with 3.5t lorries it depends on your license, pre-1997 ones you can drive two horses, post 1997 it is over the limit (I think).

MSS

Visit site
Oh I understood that it depends on the unladen weight of the wehicle - example if the lorry has an unladen weight of 2.4t it will allow 1.1t payload meaning that I can have my horse and additional 650kg (including me and the tack) so possibly another same size as her.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
OP, LT35 are older vehicles and generally speaking, the conversions will be quite heavy, which makes it unlikely to have enough payload for 2, sorry.
Other than than, I can't say much about them.

Dizzle

Visit site
Errm, no, whatever the licence, you can't drive a 3.5t lorry weighing more than 3.5t.

So everyone I know with a 3.5t lorry is driving illegally? (Most people I know have them on a post 1997 license). You know I was told this by one YO that although I could drive a 3.5t lorry I couldn't put anything in it and I 'assumed' that she must be incorrect because of the number of people I know driving little lorries!

MSS

Visit site
I believe that they are driving legally as long as the total weight of the vehicle (including all the passangers, horses and equipment) is not over 3.5t. :)

MSS

Visit site
If the lorry has a GVT (gross vehicle weight) example 3.5t, that means that is the maximum weight that the vehicle is allowed to be - including anything inside it.

MSS

Visit site
PS you can take your lorry to the weighbridge and see how much it weights with out horses and then you can see if you can legally transport them :) It all depends on how much the lorry weights on its own and how it has been converted. Even some of the 7.5t lorries are not actually legally allowed to carry more than a pony!!! :-/

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I found all the LT35s I test drove were underpowered. Regarding the weight limits, anyone with a full licence can drive them but you have to stick below a total weight of 3.5t, which includes the lorry and everything in it. If you assume the vehicle weighs around 2.4 that means 1.1 for the horse, you, passengers, fuel, water and tack. The chances of getting 2 horses, legally, into a 3.5 are miniscule, you might squeeze a shetland on with a TB for instance but not much else. Whatever you do, get a weighbridge certificate if you are not sure, dont take anything for granted. Apart from a fine if you get pulled over for being overweight, you simply wont be safe!

Meems

Visit site
Anyone can drive a 3.5 ton lorry on a normal licence. It's only illegal if the gross weight of your lorry (i.e. when you've got your horses/ponies/people/tack and everything else you take with you) exceeds 3.5 tons.

3.5 ton lorries don't need plating, just an ordinary MOT. Anything over 3.5 tons needs to be plated.

MSS - my friend has just bought one to shuttle her Shetland ponies about in. Not sure about common problems yet - it's too soon to say. I do know it doesn't always like to start first time!

webble

Visit site
Much like towing, this is clear as mud!

So a 3.5t lorry, isn't really a 3.5t lorry at all!

What a 3.5t lorry means is that lorry plus all contents is 3.5t or less in total. Payload is the eight of goods you can put inside. So if your lorry empty of fuel driver pony tack etc weighs 2.3t this means hat you the pony fuel etc combined must weigh 1.2t or less

MSS

Visit site
No fence to anyone, but I was hoping to get some idea on the VW lt35's so perhaps the lorry weight conversation could be started as a new conversation?!? :)

Fides

Visit site
I have one and love it! As it is a lorry style rather than a van style it is much more convenient. I have day living with a sink and a hob and a double bed over the Luton. As it is forward facing it is "roomier" for the horses than a van type and having a cut through from the cab to the living means there are extra 'seats' too. Is also bliss not traipsing the horse through the living.

They are a little low on power but all in all a great cheap little box! They are cheap to tax and insure too.