3 mares, 1 new gelding, will it work

Rhee

Visit site
Some advice, please.

I have 3 mares who have lived together for a long time. There were 4 but recently lost the bossiest of the bunch.
Looking for a new horse and only looked at mares- until today.

It's been years since any of them were turned out next to neighbouring geldings never mind in the same field.

I have never kept a gelding so not sure how the girls would be, would they get jealous of one another if he favoured one of them.
One of the mares is quite a peevish madam, quite aloof and doesn't do mutual grooming, but is the middle of the three in pecking order.
Number 1 mare recently lost her friend and they were always scratching each other, glad to see one another, but was number 2 in the relationship.
The third is a shetland who I really am not worried about.

What to a bunch of girls think about having a good looking boy in amongst them.

I know what it would be like if they were human!

Should I worry or not?

Any advice/opinions more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
We have currently 3 mares and a gelding together, all added to the mix at different times, and after the initial sorting out the pecking order period they all get on fine.
Generally as long as horses have enough space, aren't expected to share food, and are introduced sensibly, I find mares and geldings together to be no trouble at all. Of course, like people, there will always be the odd one who causes trouble no matter what..

Spring Feather

Visit site
I run a number of mixed gender herds and they are all fine and get along well. BUT I do have enough horses and plenty of fields to be able to move them around were they not to get along. I have some mares who prefer geldings and some mares who prefer to spend their days with other mares; some geldings who don't do well in with mares, and others who don't do well in all-gelding herds. So ... it's all down to the individual horse as you can see.

HashRouge

Visit site
I don't see why not, so long as you have plenty of room especially while they are getting to know each other. I have a very cantankerous, melodramatic older mare who is extremely temperamental with other horses (and very hormonal!) and she has been in just about every kind of herd imaginable over the years without any trouble. Single sex, mixed herds, 5 mares and 1 gelding, youngsters, donkeys....you name it, she's got the t shirt! She is currently turned out with two Shetlands - a mare and a gelding - who have been together forever and has slotted in no problem, despite the fact that she loathes Shetlands and used to try and attack them over the fence when led past! If you can turn them out next door to each other for a few days first that might be a good idea (and put your mind at ease), or perhaps introduce him to the dominant mare first, before introducing the other two? I've always just turfed my poor mare straight out though :eek:. My only caveat is that there has to be plenty of room so that she can run away or keep her distance.

meesha

Visit site
my gelding went in with 2 mares initially and they both beat him up so I had to separate them until they settled which they eventually did (he was put next door to them). He is now with just one very bossy madam of a mare who keeps him in line but is also secretly (or sometimes blatantly) in love with him.

Friend has just introduced a gelding to her well established herd of 3 mares - they were all fine - he was on the outskirts of the group for a while but has now been allowed to join them.

Rhee

Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Having a few wobbles as have only ever had mares personally, not even been to see him yet.

Space isn't an issue- so consensus of opinion is that it should be fine- just be sensible with the introductions/settling in process as I would do anyway.

Just about to make the call to view.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have three mares and a gelding and it didn't cross my mind there could be a problem. The mares are all horrible in varying degrees to each other but he just does his own thing.