3 month old bitch and 1 year old bitch lab constantly play fight

Liv334

New User
Visit site
We recently got a new puppy on the 2nd of December, she is a very nice dog, a little cheeky though. We have had a black lab for a year prior who is very sensitive. There hasn’t been any real aggression fights however they like to play fight ALL the time, my dad thinks that separating them is the best solution and so they only have about 30 minutes to an hour together every day, I personally don’t think that is the right way about getting around the problem of them not leaving eachother alone themselves , could really use some advice on wether this is a good way to solve the issue or is it making it worse as there has been no improvement what so ever, as soon as they see another it’s right back to fighting. the puppy cries for the older one when she wants to play, my dad is to scared to keep them together afraid that they will get into a real altercation and then hate eachother for the rest of their life. What do I do!?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’d just keep them together. Play is good for both dogs, and you can introduce a ‘time out’ after a short time to allow them to rest and not become over excited. All you’re doing by allowing them a short time together is reinforcing that that is their rough housing time.

L&M

Visit site
We have a spaniel puppy who plays like a demon with our 3yr old terrier - they can be quite rough with each other but touch wood neither ever over step the mark.

Play is an essential part of puppy hood and younger dogs.....as Amymay said, if it gets out of hand then 'time out' but other than that let them enjoy themselves.

Also means having to exercise less I find, and the pup is great at taking herself off to her crate when she has had enough play.

skinnydipper

Visit site
We recently got a new puppy on the 2nd of December, she is a very nice dog, a little cheeky though. We have had a black lab for a year prior who is very sensitive. There hasn’t been any real aggression fights however they like to play fight ALL the time, my dad thinks that separating them is the best solution and so they only have about 30 minutes to an hour together every day, I personally don’t think that is the right way about getting around the problem of them not leaving eachother alone themselves , could really use some advice on wether this is a good way to solve the issue or is it making it worse as there has been no improvement what so ever, as soon as they see another it’s right back to fighting. the puppy cries for the older one when she wants to play, my dad is to scared to keep them together afraid that they will get into a real altercation and then hate eachother for the rest of their life. What do I do!?

I love to see dogs play.

Are both dogs willing participants? If not, you need to step in.

When you say there hasn't been "any real aggression" do you mean none, zilch, zero?

Over arousal can tip over into aggression. If things are getting out of hand. call a halt until they calm down.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Tell them to settle down. I very much doubt that 3 month old puppy will be awake and playing all day. We kept the pups that I wrote about on another thread in the same room as the Rottweiler except when we took the out to toilet/short play and as they got older, they all went out together. They were kept safe by crating but also taught that they are expected to settle down sensibly in the house. The older dog should know what you mean when you tell him to settle down. Your job - and your dad's is to teach the pup your rules, the older dog should be able to help by setting a good example. You will need to give the older dog much more walking exercise than the pup, so he should be ready to settle when he comes back. If you separate them much they will want to play when put back together. Are they crate trained?

ETA, sorry her not him

Last edited:

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Agree with the others. You could introduce a time out or intervene if it oversteps the mark or one of them doesn’t seem to want to do it anymore.

When my spaniel was a puppy, her and my parents 9yo springer were like this. It was constant play fighting (noisily!) and charging around. Puppy would go in a crate for naps/overnight but otherwise they were together. As time went on they naturally started taking breaks and not playing quite as constantly. She’s now 18mo and they still do love to play, but it’s not relentless and they will settle down and sleep together when one of them has had enough.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I actually don't like to see dogs splatting about all day, particularly in a breed prone to joint problems like a lab.
Damage done in youth will become more apparent as the dog gets older.

This kind of thing also reinforces that another dog will always be a much bigger attraction than any humans. I'd personally spend time walking/training the dogs separately and focusing on you and then short busts of heavily monitored play and stepping in when it gets too much.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my 6 month old terrier loves to play with my 3 1/2 year old terrier and i stop them if they are getting too carried away, they both know that a firm NO means stop playing and usually they both then take a nap. i think it is up to me to be in charge and manage the type of play... with your dogs .i think by separating them they will be more excited to see each other and the play will get more frantic, they need to listen to you and stop when you say, they wont learn if they are separated, and the problem wont go away

skinnydipper

Visit site
Its full of questions and offering help, sometimes these threads become a little unkind if answers are not what people would like to hear and to be honest I think the world doesn't need that just now...

I don't always agree with everyone else's approach but feel it is wrong to shut down any discussion.

Some of us have different ways of doing things but achieve the same results.

There are some knowledgeable, experienced people on the forum and I wouldn't dismiss their advice out of hand.

Liv334

New User
Visit site
Tell them to settle down. I very much doubt that 3 month old puppy will be awake and playing all day. We kept the pups that I wrote about on another thread in the same room as the Rottweiler except when we took the out to toilet/short play and as they got older, they all went out together. They were kept safe by crating but also taught that they are expected to settle down sensibly in the house. The older dog should know what you mean when you tell him to settle down. Your job - and your dad's is to teach the pup your rules, the older dog should be able to help by setting a good example. You will need to give the older dog much more walking exercise than the pup, so he should be ready to settle when he comes back. If you separate them much they will want to play when put back together. Are they crate trained?

ETA, sorry her not him
Older loves her crate , younger ones isn’t too fond of it, it’s in the kitchen however so she’s always around things that are happening, and the older one likes to disturb the younger one when she’s asleep, what do you do when one of the dogs wants to sleep or not play but the other is ready for action and wants to

Liv334

New User
Visit site
I’d just keep them together. Play is good for both dogs, and you can introduce a ‘time out’ after a short time to allow them to rest and not become over excited. All you’re doing by allowing them a short time together is reinforcing that that is their rough housing time.

My dad is scared that if they get into a altercation that is serious that then the dogs will have no hope of being friendly toward each other which is why he separates them all day, If the older one is comming into the kitchen the younger one is picked up and taken into the livingroom, is it true that if they get into a ‘bad fight’ they won’t like each other at all

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I don't always agree with everyone else's approach but feel it is wrong to shut down any discussion.

There are some knowledgeable, experienced people on the forum and I wouldn't dismiss their advice out of hand.

I agree. It’s also a useful learning tool for the rest of us.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Your Dad is right Liv, if puppy gets a negative experience during the imprinting phase it can affect them for life.

As to your previous question, advocate for your dogs. Stop things before they go too far. If a dog is being a pest, tell the dog to knock it off/put it away.
You wouldn't expect a baby to run a marathon, so don't expect a tiny puppy to be able to play hard physically all day.

Again it's not everyone's view but it's up to me to exercise/tire my dogs, it's not their job. And puppies don't need 'exercise' or over-stimulation, they need age-appropriate engagement.

Clodagh

Visit site
Older loves her crate , younger ones isn’t too fond of it, it’s in the kitchen however so she’s always around things that are happening, and the older one likes to disturb the younger one when she’s asleep, what do you do when one of the dogs wants to sleep or not play but the other is ready for action and wants to

Shut the crate door, make sure it’s covered (not the front) and make the older dog GALD. ?.
You don’t want any dog feeling things have got to the point that it needs to fight it’s corner. You’re in charge.

GSD Woman

Visit site
A friend has 2 golden retrievers. Her young bitch can get ramped up and be a handful with her male. When that happens she puts the bitch in her crate with a bone. She's found after about 5 minutes of chewing on the bone that her bitch usually falls asleep. Might be something to think about.

windand rain

Visit site
Keep up with the crate training keep the crtes in the same room but preferably not next to each other. Teach the older one settle on your bed, great and kind videos on Facebook from Quality Canines
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=quality canines Natalie is brilliant a real dog person and a very kind and constructive would always help a dog. Pretty good with horses too She has an honors degree in animal behaviour and was trainer of the year 2019. No nothing to do with me just a great young woman who puts animals first

twiggy2

Visit site

I am not dismissing anyones advice, I am not shutting down a discussion either.
I am allowed to private message someone if I choose to, to be honest its been a long week and I can't be arsed so I shall leave it to you to help the OP as I am off to bed .

misst

Visit site
I'd just say I've always had playful dogs and they can get a bit silly sometimes - but we just do a firm NO and lie down and they stop most of the time. If things don't calm I make them sit with me for a few minutes and they soon calm down. Chews are very calming too. Crates are useful with small pups who need some time out. I think allowing a certain amount of rough play (mine are terriers and are quite full on) is fine provided both are happy. My younger 1 year old has learnt some manners from older brother. I think when the tone of things changes it is certainly time to step in, OIY works in our house! Our little one does rush about and jump around for a while but also there is quite a lot of wrestling which they love.
That is certainly a beautiful pup FF - was that a deliberate cross? It's not one I've come across. I need those paws though.

deb_l222

Visit site
I’ll be honest I’m struggling to get my head round why you’re concerned about your dogs playing. Surely this is a good thing????

Why do you think this play will inevitably lead to aggression? Play fighting can sound horrendous sometimes but dogs have their own subtle ways of de-escalating situations.

Yes, maybe have some ‘time out’ space if you really must but don’t stop them being happy and playing. It’s a blessing they get on so well, embrace it :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am in charge ,if boisterous playing is not want I want I tell them to stop .
I train them the word enough means that’s not bad but you are to stop .
and the word nest means stop what you are doing and go and lie on your bed .
You do have to be able to take control of the energy level .