3 months off :(

TigerLilly

Visit site
So sad as i have found out today i have to give my girly 3 months off as she needs more time to mature she is 6 TBxID
and croup high, has anyone else had to do this and is it quite common also how long does it take for ID to mature thanks
smile.gif

Persephone

Visit site
Well if it's any consolation I bought my ISH mare as rising 6. She has gone from full size to x full in a lot of things and grown another 2 inches. She is 7 now, and she is so much "more" horse than I bought!

I would say she is probably mature now, needs a bit more muscle but that's all. I sincerely hope she won't be getting any bigger!

I didn't give mine any time off to mature but all we have done for the last year is gentle hacking and the odd pop over a fence.

I know it's not the same as riding but maybe you could work on some groundwork with her or something in the meantime?

Jo x

DaisyMae

Visit site
Why not take her for walks and show her the sights that way she should be a pleasant hack when you start riding her again as she'll already be familiar with everything, its nice to spend some quality time with them walking anyway i've done it alot with mine when i can't ride

TigerLilly

Visit site
I was thinking about a small amount of ground work mabe some lunging my instructor rode her for me and said she is very much on the forehand as she still needs to develop more behind she has done nothing before i had her only basic riding out if that, She is like a big worm and i am having to hold her up as she has no self carriage if that makes any sence
smile.gif

checkmate1

Visit site
Who said she had to have 3 months off? A vet? Did she have any time turned away after she was backed? Horses like her aren't supposed to become properly mature until about 6/7/8yrs . I would hack her quietly for the summer doing a few bits and bobs, and turn her away for the winter personally, but then maybe she really needs some time off??

nelliefinellie

Visit site
Change instructors. Turning her away for 3 months won't make her stronger behind, correct work will. I would be doing some ground work, basic schooling and hillwork.

checkmate1

Visit site
I would not be at all surprised that a green 6 yr old is on the forehand, and this would be something that would improve with time and work. But if your phsio person recommended then they would have a definate reason to do so...i'm sure the three months will fly by. Is she a new horse? I guess the groundwork and things you could do with her will strengthen you bond

christine48

Visit site
My 4 yr old is similar, he is croup high. He is going to have a break to hopefully allow him to catch up. I can understand what your instructer/ physio are saying. Mine finds it difficult to find his balance at times as he finds it difficult to cope with his power. 3 months seems a long time though, maybe a short break if there is no problem.

TigerLilly

Visit site
I understand what you are saying armchair_anarchist but she is struggling with the work and tires easily even after 15 min in the school hacking out she is ok but straight lines and hills she finds hard she is quite a worrier (like me) and gets very tight behind but is soundand acts more like a 3 year old than 6 any ideas
smile.gif

checkmate1

Visit site
Then I guess a little break would do her good, then build her up very slowly, little bit of lunging, very short and sweet schooling sessions and lots of hacking!

TigerLilly

Visit site
She is such a sweet thing but she was broken very quickly then sold had a waterford put in her mouth and had a quick fix by a dealer to sell on to me love her to bits just hopeshe will come right as i hope to have lots of fun with her thanks for your reply
smile.gif

nelliefinellie

Visit site
Sorry if my last post sonded a bit abrupt. I really have never known a sound 6 year old need 3 months off to mature - 4 years is different. You need to start educating her to use the correct muscles and strengthen up. I would be doing short slow hacks, building up some hill work, some work in hand over raised poles, short lunging sessins in a chambon or pessoa, and short schooling sessions with lots of transistions, maybe some basic latral work in walk. You can also do some stretching / suppling excercises with her on the ground. Hope this helps
smile.gif

RuthP

Visit site
Maybe just take it slowly over the summer, hack her out and give her experience and confidence. Lots of hills to build her back end up- as already has been mentioned.
My IDxTB didn't fully mature till she was 8! She still isn't mature in the head but ho hum! I brought her at 15.0hh as a 4 year old, she is now a BIG 16.0hh. So I think taking it slowly and letting her grow would be the best option!