3 things........

siennamum

Visit site
Which are quite unrelated but I though worth mentioning.
I had a conversation with the vet this morning and he said it's been on e of the best years for Laminitis he can remember. It must be related to the sugar content of the grass and th efact that this year there's been none. We certainly don't seem to have had a year as bad as last.
grin.gif

I enquired about Selenium deficiencies, I've wondered once or twice about having horses tested for it. In the South West we have selenium deficiencies in the soil and he commented that in Berkshire where he comes from it's virtually unheard of. But that since moving to Bristol, he regularly comes across mystery lameness and muscle/energy related illnesses which turn out to be selenium deficiencies, I think in this part of the world it's somehting we should keep tabs on!

Finally a question to all you knowledgeable peeps. Has anyone an explaination for a horse which sweats only on one side of it's neck, or more on one side. Our new beast clearly sweats more on one side than the other and we were curious to know whether we should be worrying. (forgot to ask the handy vet this morning
confused.gif
)

Madam_max

Visit site
Hmmm, do you think I should add Selenium to my feed? It has been mentioned before and she has been very off? Not sure what it's like in my area?

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Years ago we had a horse out in the field that some passer by shut in the cow shed (door was open for 6 of them to wander in and out in the heat) - away from the others. Horse then proceeded to squeeze out of the gap in the wall where the manger goes through the barn (hard to explain, but those with cow sheds will know what im on about). Basically he cut and wrenched himself all down the flank/loins on the one side only. The horse came right and healed properly, he has won on the flat and over hudles since. Since then he has always sweated just on that patch, really bad to start with (would sweat in the stable/would always be dark). Improved greatly before he went from here, but that was always the first place hed break out.

lordflynn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Is that in the raw state? Does it diminish if you are boiling or processing the linseed??

[/ QUOTE ]

tbh I dont know! and have been trying to find out but no joy yet. The least refined route is often best but there seems to be a fair amount of argument for/against both the oil and boiling. I want to start feeding linseed again so am looking into it.

Linseed meal-the byproduct of linseed oil extraction can be used as a selenium supplement for cattle so its probably best that any prep contains the whole seed but not sure if heat destroys it or how much is left in the oil.

I have some literature on selenium but not to hand so if I find out anything else will let you know.

Stasha22

Visit site
My horse has a similar sweating issue. She had surgery to remove a large tumour from her ovary which resulted in a largeish scar. The area surronding the scar will sweat even when no other part of her is sweating. It is quite bizzare!

old_girl

Visit site

might be a really stupid answer, but my first horse always sweated much more on the side of neck that the mane lay, simply because the neck was hotter under the mane.

siennamum

Visit site
The South West is affected by a selenium deficiency - coimpared to the country generally, think it affects Wilts, Glos & south west from there. It might be worth getting a blood test done to see, it's such a simple thing to correct.
A horse I know had a deficiency and it only became apparent when he was in really hard work - dressage in his case, as he was requiring nutrition for muscular development & ended up showing signs like Azutoria also generally being nappy & stuffy as if he had a virus.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I am in bristol and i am definately now going to make sure she gets added selenium as she is a lammy prone girl too, i did not realise we had a known deficiency in this part of the country,thanks for sharing,i am gonna have to decide now what to use to get it in her diet

*goes off to research*

smile.gif

kick_On

Visit site
sweating issue, we had a vets talk at rc . In theory all horse would sweat all the time, if they didn't have their skin sweat nerve receptor turner off but if they have had damage to these nerve receptor, and therefore don't work the skin will sweats automatcially. He said not a no problem, but that's why some horse sweat on old injurys etc.........