3 years after denerving - what next?

Abacus

Visit site
My older horse was denerved 3 years ago due to DDFT damage in both front feet. I don't want to start a denerving debate, although I appreciate that there are mixed opinions on this. He has been sound until now but is starting to show slight signs that he is unlevel in front again, and the signs are similar to the onset of the lameness some years ago. I have spoken to the vet and will be arranging a call out to confirm whether it is the old problem again, which is now causing lameness as the nerves have grown back.

On the phone the vet didn't seem to think there is anything more we can do - there is an option to denerve higher up but that would mean the whole foot has no feeling rather than just part of it, and he is now 16 and has other problems (arthritis mainly). Also he would no longer be insured to cover this op, which was several £K. Mostly for the first reason, I don't think the higher denerving is a good option for his safety or anyone else's.

The question I wanted to ask is: has anyone any experience of this, and are there any other options available? I would love to keep him going if I can, even if he is retired in a field.

Thanks.

Mudfukkle

Visit site
Hi, my mare was de-nerved several years ago, due to Navicular syndrome and articular arthritis of the coffin joint.
The nerves started to re-grow and she was unlevel on circles, but sound out gentle hacking. However, she showed signs of lameness if she was hacked for anything more than 30 minutes, so I took the decision to retire her. I took both her front shoes off (she was never shod behind) and she is totally field sound, not on any bute or any other pain killer.
She now has cushings and has suffered some muscle wastage, but if it wasn't for this, I would put hoof boots on and start riding again. I really think taking the shoes off was a real benefit to mine, she hasn't looked back, she is also on a low sugar diet (limited grass).
Feel free to pm me if you want any further info x

Abacus

Visit site
Thanks for both thoughts.

I didn't know about Rockley at the time of his diagnosis but i wonder if - 3 years later - it is too late for this? I'd be interested to know if they have tried working on a horse so late after diagnosis and after denerving. I guess there's no difference due to the denerving as the nerves have just grown back (I am assuming) but I wonder whether the underlying condition has progressed too far. He has been shod in front throughout as really not good without shoes, but not behind for the last 18 months.

Mudfukkle, did you go to Rockley or follow any procedure, or did you just take off the shoes? Thanks.

TheMule

Visit site
I think, given his age and other issues, I'd be allowing him to retire to the field with pain relief when required.
Rockley is a great option for a younger horse with its future ahead of it but it's likely that working for 3 years on an already compromised structure has progressed the damage too far

Pale Rider

Visit site
I think, given his age and other issues, I'd be allowing him to retire to the field with pain relief when required.
Rockley is a great option for a younger horse with its future ahead of it but it's likely that working for 3 years on an already compromised structure has progressed the damage too far

I think Rockey would do less harm than a retirement on painkillers.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd consider rockley even if that just led to retirement without painkillers tbh. It seems worth having a chat with Nic about it - I suppose if the DDFT damage is still there and therefore 'old' it might not be easily resolved though perhaps?