3 yr old daughter showing an interest. Too young for RS?

MrsS1987

Visit site
Hi All,

Long time lurker but never posted before.

So I was hoping it'd happen but now it has I'm totally stuck! My 3 year old daughter is showing an interest in horses but I have been without my own for 5 years now and have recently moved so I don't know any horsey people around here. She's too young for riding school and I'm not about to go and buy her a Shetland for her to decide she's not all that keen in 7 days time!!! As kids do!!

Is it worth me putting up a wanted ad for a Shetland/v small pony to share or part loan? I don't suppose it even has to be ridden. Just something for her to fuss and groom a couple of days a week. Or is that just cheeky?

Any ideas welcome. Thanks for reading :)

Dizzle

Visit site
Have you spoken to local riding schools? Some have insurance to cover them for 3 year olds, I know there is one in Gloucestershire that takes them from three (most are 4).

MrsS1987

Visit site
I had just assumed it was 4 years so will call around tomorrow. Funny thing is she doesn't seem that keen on riding one just yet. She just loves to stroke, feed and talk to them ha ha!

Ormsweird

Visit site
We found a riding school who would take our daughter at three on the lead rein, so it is possible! We had to travel a little further. Then a local one took her for ordinary lessons from four.

Good luck!

Wiz201

Visit site
This is how I started out, although I was 9 going on 10. I did half hour lead rein rides before going into lessons. I'd start enquiring at your local places even if they say 4 year olds and up, they may be able to arrange something for her especially if you are willing to walk along with her as a side walker.

canteron

Visit site
I had just assumed it was 4 years so will call around tomorrow. Funny thing is she doesn't seem that keen on riding one just yet. She just loves to stroke, feed and talk to them ha ha!

Be very careful about getting them to ride too early - I have 2 young grandchildren and their parents are keen for them to ride, but the children just love petting them and are quite frightened if you put them on a pony, I am finding it quite difficult to manage the parents expectations!! Maybe just take them to shows/places where other children are riding and wait until they ask, or at least have an understanding that it is a normal thing to do!!

WelshD

Visit site
It's worth asking around for a share because you are horsey yourself someone may oblige

I'm desperate for a little one to ride or pet my section A but finding a parent who has horsey experience is really tough. I don't want to run the risk of having a supervising adult here who knows nothing about horses and I don't much fancy getting sued any time soon by someone who wants a rocking horse for their child

MrsS1987

Visit site
Canteron, that's what I'm worried about. If I plonk her on a pony now I'm worried she'll get scared and it'll put her off for life! I've popped up a wanted ad so maybe a retired Shetland looking for a bit of extra fuss will pop up, fingers crossed!

rowan666

Visit site
its definatly worth putting an ad up, im looking for someone just like you and your daughter to share my ponies! your not by any chance in the cheshire/merseyside area are you? lol

Visit site
That is what I did.....my daughter was desperate to ride at about 2.5/3.

My sister is a polo groom and spends 6 months here, 6 month in NZ....and they had a Shetland that summer at the yard. Rosie was sitting on her every couple of weeks and absolutely loving it.

When it came to my sister going back to NZ, Rosie was devastated that she couldn't ride any more, no local riding schools would take her. At the time I'd just had Oscar, but come the spring after, I put a very similar ad on a local facebook group.

I found an absolutely cracking section a called Devon....initially she rode once a week, just a little potter around the school and a groom. A year later and she's just started to learn to trot.....we hack out every few weeks on an 'adventure'. I've been taking it very slow with her, I don't want her to feel pressured in the slightest.

My son is 18 months and had his first ride this week, he's sat on Dev a couple of times but this was his first time moving lol. He absolutely loved it and wailed when it was time to get off.

If I can figure out how I will post some pictures.

I'm now sharing a horse with Devons owner, he arrives on 3rd and I might just pop with excitement.

From experience, you're definitely going about it the right way....follow her lead and enjoy it together :)

MrsS1987

Visit site
That is what I did.....my daughter was desperate to ride at about 2.5/3.

My sister is a polo groom and spends 6 months here, 6 month in NZ....and they had a Shetland that summer at the yard. Rosie was sitting on her every couple of weeks and absolutely loving it.

When it came to my sister going back to NZ, Rosie was devastated that she couldn't ride any more, no local riding schools would take her. At the time I'd just had Oscar, but come the spring after, I put a very similar ad on a local facebook group.

I found an absolutely cracking section a called Devon....initially she rode once a week, just a little potter around the school and a groom. A year later and she's just started to learn to trot.....we hack out every few weeks on an 'adventure'. I've been taking it very slow with her, I don't want her to feel pressured in the slightest.

My son is 18 months and had his first ride this week, he's sat on Dev a couple of times but this was his first time moving lol. He absolutely loved it and wailed when it was time to get off.

If I can figure out how I will post some pictures.

I'm now sharing a horse with Devons owner, he arrives on 3rd and I might just pop with excitement.

From experience, you're definitely going about it the right way....follow her lead and enjoy it together :)

That sounds perfect! Fingers crossed something comes from the advert and maybe Mum can get back in the saddle one day soon too ;-)

MrsS1987

Visit site
its definatly worth putting an ad up, im looking for someone just like you and your daughter to share my ponies! your not by any chance in the cheshire/merseyside area are you? lol

I wish we were Rowan666 but we are in South Wales. I'll let you all know if anything comes of the advert. Fingers crossed :)

Dizzle

Visit site
See, I thought about this several years before the baby arrived... I swapped my ex-racehorse for a 13.2hh New Forest, she's a perfect lead rein pony and he's been sitting on her since he was 10 weeks old. He had his first 'ride' on a Shetland today with me holding onto him at the age of 9 months and he loved it! I imagine he'll grow out of it though :-(

I'm trying not to dream of sparkly BS ponies...

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My eldest sons first word was Benji, my pony!

My boys have grown up with my ponies and I resisted the temptation of getting them anything too soon, although I did go and look at a foal when William was still in utero with a view to them growing up together!

I used to show Flicka in-hand and on one occasion I could hear William crying whilst I was in the ring. It appeared that he wanted to be in the ring showing.

At four he wanted to ride my pony all the time so I put an advert on our local website for a pony to loan. We were very lucky to get Poppy (one of those rare under 12h NF ponies) for him.

Are there any children's farms near you with ponies to groom/ride before you take any plunges?!

Jenni&Ditty

Visit site
As above, im sure there are plenty of people who would love somebody to ride their shetland, as not many people are small enough!! We love little people to come and stroke and have a little ride on our 2, and the ponies love it too!