3yr old gelding mounting field buddy.

reilly1993

New User
Visit site
Hello
My 3yr old gelding has been separated from his field buddy due to him trying to mount him several times. Field buddy's owner has suggested possibility of being a rig ?
Has anyone experienced similar in young horses as I presume it's just him trying to be dominant & playful (Hes very a immature and dominant little horse).

doodle

Visit site
Not a young horse but my mare abbey used to live happily with my other 2 boys. Added another gelding who was used to being with mares. The pair of them needed separated. She was perfectly happy with him mounting her. Even though both had never shown any behaviour like that before or after. He def wasn’t a rig.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I just had a 6yo tested for hormones. He wasn't mounting paddock companions (geldings of similar age) but he was barging through electric fences to 'cuddle' mares. The result was NO hormones - as it should be with a 'proper' gelding. Worth doing - if only so you can consider other causes for his 'enthusiasm'. We used to see it with young mares when they were in season.

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
My mare is a tramp and will encourage the quietest of geldings to mount her, even ones that have never shown any interest in other mares. She just gets left too it. She is not a kicker and will just pull faces when she is not interested and the boys wander off