3yrs too young?

Skhosu

Visit site
Saw at an event recently a horse who we had looked at for sale competing pre-novice, saw it stop at 2nd fence but think it got round.
Anyway, as far as I know it had been not doing any more than 90, although may have done more since I saw it, at home and a bit smaller out.
Would you take a rising 4yr old (4 on the passport, 3 in 'real' terms) eventing?
I would have thought that is qutie young to take, especially round a pre-novice?

ElleJS

Visit site
In the summer with the PAVO series is OK, but that is at intro which is tiny. Pre novice does seem excessive.
Personally if I had a very good 4year old, I wouldn't waste it on eventing it so young- at the end of the day its more (imo) unnecessary wear and tear on young legs. If I had a 4yo that was OK and to be sold I would as they are worth more £ to a buyer.

H-J

www.piczo.com
not sure if I have got the wrong end of the stick here! But they arent alowed to PN as a 4yr old - only a 5yr old.

Only class 4yr olds can do are he PAVO Intros - and even then they are resricted to doing a few (3 I think)

tigers_eye

Visit site
Holly's right - the horse has to be rising 5 at the youngest.

At stallion gradings abroad it is the norm for rising 3 year olds to be jumped round a course in the March. And obviously they have to jump round it in a way that will get them graded....

Skhosu

Visit site
Really? Might be different over here, but it was certainly sold to us as a 3 rising 4, cant have changed that much in a month or so!

H-J

www.piczo.com
im pretty sure it would be the same.

At riding 4 years old that is too much strain. Spider is a whole year older then that she is rising 5 and I am about to PN her but she still doesnt have much strength!! so a rising 4 yr old im sure wouldnt.

Maybe im wrong - but if so I think it is wrong that they would PN a rising 4

ElleJS

Visit site
If it is doing so much XC so young, its legs aren't gonna be too healthy or sound when its a seven year old! As HJ says youngsters don't have that strength or stamina.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I very naughtily took my last horse to a ODE when he was 4, it stated in the rules that horses had to be 5 to compete
blush.gif

It was a very small (2ft6) Riding Club event.
He was very mature for his age and we were regularly showjumping and xc schooling at the time. He was 6th after the dressage but I fell off in the showjumping lol!! He was fantastic cross country and we had to give someone a lead over the first few fences! He stopped at the water and we were eliminated but he flew the rest of the course (we were allowed to continue) and I had a fab day.
It certainly didn't do him any harm, and when I sold him a year later the vet commented on how clean his legs were
smile.gif

He's still going strong now and he's 15 this year.

Axel on the other hand is 5 and I wouldn't dream of doing that with him!

Dutch

spaces.msn.com
I wouldn't do it! No way and I am suprised it's not against the rules as it would be against the rules in Pony Club or British Dressage I am sure of it.

I would let a 3 year old horse loose school over fairly substantial fences if they were able to and enjoyed it but it is unlikely that they would be muscled up to cope well so I would limit it.

Dutch

Rambo

Visit site
Can't comment on BE, but it is quite normal for a 'rising 4yo' to be jumping BSJA to BN and even Disco
tongue.gif
Would certainly expect a continental 'rising 4yo' to be out and about competing in BD equivilent
smile.gif

Dutch

spaces.msn.com
The Dutch and Germans would very rarely compete a 4 year old, and certainly not in a usual test environment, maybe in like an auction environment or a showing type class but only in wide arenas where they can let the horse be free to move not making endless turns and transitions, a horse wouldn't be able to cope.

It would be normal for a 4 year old to do a flying change both ways but he will no way be collected yet.

Dutch

Rambo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The Dutch and Germans would very rarely compete a 4 year old, and certainly not in a usual test environment, maybe in like an auction environment or a showing type class but only in wide arenas where they can let the horse be free to move not making endless turns and transitions, a horse wouldn't be able to cope.

It would be normal for a 4 year old to do a flying change both ways but he will no way be collected yet.

Dutch

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only comment on personal experience but one of mine did his first dressage in Holland on his 4th b'day
tongue.gif

Fiona

Visit site
I have checked this year's rule book, and 4yo's can be entered in PN, intro and training classes. However this I suppose depends on whether you count a horse as 4 from the beginning of the year, or its actual birthday. Wouldn't dream of doing it myself, far too young. SJ on a good surface or something if they really want to compete, or get it noticed to sell it.

If you want to tell me who it was by the way - send me a PM, I am intrigued.

Fiona