4.5t smallish horsebox recommendations

LynH

Visit site
I'm looking for a small box with payload for two horses and small living so I can sit and rest as I have health problems. I don't need huge amounts of storage but light ramp and easy to use alone is important. I'm old so can go up to 7.5t but would prefer something smaller.
I've seen Equihunter do one with a bench seat across the width of the living and good sized horse area. I'd be grateful for any opinions on which companies to avoid and which you recommend for a custom build. I also like the Trophy Twin by Adam at Peper Harrow.
I'm in the South East and don't really want to travel too far.
Any recommendations?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I looked at most small boxes and decided on a Bloomfields. If you search the name on HHO you will find that owners are fans! I have recommended them and 5 people have actually ordered one and love theirs too.

Mine was a custom build, I have a huge horse compartment, with the ramp on the driver's side, the other side is accessed from the back living, and has a toilet compartment, rug storage and huge tack locker accessed from the outside. They had not done one like that before, but custom designed the partitions etc.

I would avoid anything with a breast bar, and anything where I could not get my horse out of the back in an emergency.

The smaller boxes can be stuffy, so I also had extra windows, a roof vent, and forced air fan into the horse compartment. The horse shower is great too.

Newlands

Visit site
Freddie Gover, 5 mins from Gatwick we were very tempted but decided to stick with a 3.5ton and got very lucky finding a BOSS, thanks to a lovely HHO forum member!

Bernster

Visit site
I've been looking at these as well. On my list so far is Peper Harow although the ramp looks quite big/steep, Kevin Parker, bloomfields, Alexander's, Freddie Gover, Equihunter, Boss. I think they all do the slightly larger 4.5t type, but with the more compact shape than a 7.5t. Lots of options and a range of prices!

bananas_22

Visit site
My advice would be to avoid Equihunter and Alexander's in particular from a build quality perspective. I would wholeheartedly recommend Bloomfields as being way above the rest in terms of quality, service, flexibility to create exactly what you want, innovation and most importantly safety - their safety cell between the horse and you as a driver is fantastic!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Someone I know got royally ripped off by Alexanders when she bought a one of their 4.5t boxes. Smart looking box, but the build quality was shocking. The horse kicked through to the drivers area whilst in transit as the bulkhead was not correctly reinforced. There were numerous other build quality issues, too.

It went down a long and tortuous legal route, with Alexanders trying to delay and wriggle out of their responsibility all the way. Eventually they agreed to buy it back, for significantly less that she paid for it but a lot more than they initially offered.