4th weekend in April plans?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Ready to set off. The box has an impossible amount of kit in it! Good job I uprated to a 4t from 3.5 as I think I would be over otherwise even with only one horse.

Unimpressed that yesterday the sun caught me and I have prickly heat. But, other than that, Baby Horse is having an hour on grass while I shower and change, then the adventure begins!

I don't have HHO when away from home, so see you on the other side :D

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
Have a great time Red-1, camp sounds like so much fun!

Had a nice quiet hack this morning after both boys had their teeth done yesterday avo. Big achievement for Charlie as this time he didn't have any sedation. Compared to the first time after I got him 3yrs ago when he was rearing up with the gag on! Tomorrow we will do some schooling and pop a few small jumps.

dixie

Visit site
Crikey, I can't like that! That was a biggie, glad you aren't too sore.

We need a "wow" button as I couldn't bring myself to like it either ! Hope you're ok BM.

I'm doing a pleasure ride on Sunday. We did it last year on the hottest day of the year, so it will be cooler on Sunday but still hard ground.
I think its our first outing this year other than school hire and a few lessons. Really looking forward to it.

blood_magik

Visit site
Thankfully not too sore today and I’ve managed to get a replacement hat sorted so I’ll be good to go again tomorrow.

Think he was just super fresh yesterday. He’s threatened a couple of times but I’ve managed to catch him before he’s actually done anything, whereas yesterday it just came out of nowhere ?‍♀️
managed to sit the rear but I was already off-balance when he stuck his head between his knee so off I came ?

I did get back on after I’d lunged him (and then had a 40 minute lesson on my other horse, which probably didn’t help ??).

ETA - he was back to being good as gold today (although he did get a quick lunge first just in case and I’ve cut his hard feed) ?

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
Roxylola I just cancelled my xc Eland trip on Saturday as I couldn't find anyone to go with me and I don't think you can go on your own...I could have coordinated :D I booked an SJ clinic on Sunday instead so that should be fun :)
Enjoy your weekends everyone
I don't go loads, but feel free to message as I'd be happy to coordinate if I can. If you want to rebook I'm going around 2. I didn't know you weren't allowed alone although it's good policy

Chippers1

Visit site
I don't go loads, but feel free to message as I'd be happy to coordinate if I can. If you want to rebook I'm going around 2. I didn't know you weren't allowed alone although it's good policy
Ah thank you, I can't afford to do both eland and the clinic though...next time! I'm not sure if it's policy there or not, I know it's like that for some of the xc's closer to me. Also i'd feel better if I had someone anyway, just in case!

j1ffy

Visit site
Red - I hope you're having an amazing time!
BM - good to read that you're ok, that was quite a rear...

Not a lot on here, some schooling and hopefully a quiet-ish weekend as this week's been a bit stressful with a few non-horsey things. I'm showing an Aussie friend's son around Oxford on Sunday as he's here backpacking with a couple of friends, I'd better make sure he gets a square meal as who knows when they last ate properly ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The weekend has started well. Ludo was noticeably more confident today, has put on weight, and we had a short hack round part of the fun ride followed by a long canter right round the boundary of the grass roots cross country area. He walked over some logs, down a step and up three steps, all new experiences for him, including the canter in an open field. I did have a grin on my face when I put him back in his box, I hope he felt the same but he seemed more interested in his haylage, which is beyond top quality stuff. He's out for the night now so I'll ask him when I bring him in tomorrow :)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Today we had our first lesson in what feels like ages. I’m definitely still struggling with my fitness after covid, so we had plenty of breaks which Maddie was delighted about, but we covered quite a lot of stuff. e,g cantering across the diagonal and transitioning to trot, but practising the transition almost at the end marker so she doesn’t anticipate it too early. I need to remember to keep her straighter across the diagonal, which I find hard as I worry she is going to change, but we managed it a couple of times so called it a day. Nothing much planned for the rest of the weekend - I have a few yard spring cleaning jobs that need doing, so hopefully will tick some of those off.

Hope all the sore/lame people and horses recover soon, and the rest of you have fun whatever you are up to. :)

oldie48

Visit site
I wasn't going to post as nothing other than the usual going on but received an invitation to a pole work tomorrow so Mr D and I will have some fun. We hacked out this morning and he was, as usual, a complete sweetie.
BM I shuddered when I saw your pics, so pleased you are OK. Red, I hope you have a great camp, beware of the Somerford Haylage, it's rocket fuel! I hope everyone has a good weekend .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
beware of the Somerford Haylage

You can ask for hay, I think, it's an option in all the livery barns. Ludo loves the haylage and does well on it (it used to be my standard purchase when he was at home) but he is very TB in type.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I was planning a steady hack this morning, but grabbed my show bridle bag on the way out.
Decided to pop it on to check all was ok for 3 weeks time as haven't used it since last September - and then rode in it in the paddock....
B was as light as a feather (started off rather baffled) and I realised my posture was vastly improved! We then poddled out for a cheerful hack, much of it working up together but on a very light contact.
Not a double as her mouth isnt right for one, but I use a Hartwell Pelham (a proper one with full curve, not the copies that have a rounded port), which apparently is quite acceptable to B.
So, am thinking that I might well pop it on more often, perhaps once a week, as it really made me carry myself in a better frame ?
Hope everyone's weekend is going ok x

oldie48

Visit site
You can ask for hay, I think, it's an option in all the livery barns. Ludo loves the haylage and does well on it (it used to be my standard purchase when he was at home) but he is very TB in type.
I took one of my horses for a camp there and he loved the haylage, it did wonders for his flat work but he was very bright and we had an interesting hack from the stables over to the dressage arenas!!
I thoroughly enjoyed this morning's pole work clinic, I think Mr D did too. He's very used to going over poles and was totally unfazed which is so good for my confidence. I was completely worn out though so watched an hour of Masterchef this afternoon instead of gardening!

Roxylola

Visit site
Charlie is funny at camps, officially he's supposed to have hay so we always take hay - which he loves at home. He inevitably goes on hunger strike because he can smell the haylage. So now I've given up and give him haylage ?
Super dude round eland today, jumped great, a mix of the 80 and 90 fences. We had one slight hiccup, he was going great guns and someone was having difficulty with a 90 fence, she'd already had issues and hacked round a bit with us so I thought I'd give it a shot for her.
Bright but pale blue, gappy and pretty big. Charlie rode in all yeah we got this and at the very last stride said Holy poo balls nope nope nope ? I very nearly pitched off but just saved it. We laughed and cracked on though. I'm unlikely to ever want to compete round their 90 so it's not a worry for now anyway

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Mixed day at Epworth. Whoever said she would be more wired for the 2nd ODE than the first one was right! Dressage was very tense. Getting there was traumatic too having to go past a field full of galloping shetlands then a kennels with over a dozen barking dogs jumping up at the fence on the way to the dressage arenas. So very much a work in progress on the dressage front.

But actually she was then listening much better for SJ and XC. And we had another stand-still-start XC with her alert but waiting.

She had 2 down SJ - the 2 smallest fences too. She definitely makes more effort to clear bigger ones. She can't be bothered with small ones! I also went wrong in the SJ . Arghhhhh. So another 4 SJ for cicrling back and time pens for 12 plus time. Oops. BUT I rode much more positively than last time so I am happy with that despite the high pen count.

Clear XC with 2.4 time which included ANOTHER error of course when we turned right instead of left out of the woods and had to turn back. So the pace is easily there as we just cantered merrily round and could have gone a lot faster if needed. She felt FAB.

Well outside the qualifying points today obviously but useful learning experience for us both.

278568873_165823305877259_5385831304248708301_n.jpg

278567773_165824099210513_7787822671356315369_n.jpg

ihatework

Visit site
Mixed bag for the 6yo, meh dressage, he’s a tricky wotsit and not quite there with the tension yet. SJ was ‘fine’ for 1 down, nothing to get excited about. XC I have to pick my jaw up every time … just cruises, looks all of an advanced horse. I suppose if you want one strong phase in an event horse it has to be the XC!!

Peglo

Visit site
Ok so last weekend I decided to enter a working hunter show. They were short on numbers and I was offered a lift to go. What could go wrong when I’ve not jumped for years (and never an actual round) and Tali hasn’t jumped before ever. Well as it turns out a very fun day out. We went and had a shot on Thursday night on some WH jumps and it was good. I’m saying jumps but in actual fact it was poles and a few cross poles.

so in the warm up ring she had very hot feet and I worried she wasn’t going to listen to me at all. But as soon as we went into the arena she did absolutely everything I asked. We trotted around the whole course, she never looked at anything and even threw in a few proper jumps. It was such a big ask of her but once back in the warm up ring she tried to go back to the arena. She seemed to really enjoy doing the course and I’m very excited to see what we can do once we’re both trained up a bit more.

I can’t believe how this wee lassie just takes everything in her stride and makes me feel like we can give anything a try. She feels so right, so fun and she’s giving me the opportunity to do things I’ve wanted to do since I was 13. (First show I’ve ever ridden in today) we also didn’t even come last which is just the cherry on the cake. 4th out of 5 and I think we were definitely the greenest pair there. ?
DABFDDAD-3516-40A1-88EC-3FF9148BEE0A.jpg
an actual jump
A59FA2FD-E410-4715-8AAF-17561EA2C4FD.jpg60AD16C0-9CCD-49CB-862A-769F863B6B50.jpg
that’s me totally lost ? someone pointed out the next jump for me ???

Asha

Visit site
Had a lovely afternoon at the open day/stallion show at Stallon Ai .

An interesting mix, with a few who where class .

I was surprised to be quite taken by a beautiful Spanish stallion . Shame we haven’t a suitable mare for him.
Favourite has to be steeped in luck ( Irish Draught ?) but was also really impressed by a son of Casall ridden by Billy Twomey

Michen

Visit site
Bog is ready for Badminton 5* he reckons.

He has just turned 10 and has filled out AGAIN according to 2 people who have ridden him recently for the first time in many months, I can well believe it, he feels like an absolute tank at the moment.

Just hacking for us this weekend.

Well done AE on your event, sounds like an XC machine!

5D1A92BE-A2E7-435C-9D01-8BD26B020E21.jpeg