4th weekend in April plans?

Bernster

Visit site
Will post some pics tmrw but we had the BEST time today at munstead ode. Wobbly dressage as v rusty but 34.8 and double clear!! Yay. Stormed round the sj and xc giving me an awesome ride. A bit too gung ho, which is v unlike us, as we got time pens for going too fast! Good lord. We usually get too slow penalties. Quickest xc of the day I think. Oops. But so much fun even though I felt a bit unprepared, forgot to wear my stock, had a long delay in the xc (hope that person is ok), and I clearly have no clue what a proper xc pace is! Finn was foot perfect all day and a total star throughout ?

With pics…

Attachments

• 1CCAC717-2A5C-4D21-9976-CB175EF0FA3E.jpg
    1CCAC717-2A5C-4D21-9976-CB175EF0FA3E.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 20
  • 38D1B7A5-AAF1-4D01-9052-B9E5AB34C35D.jpg
    38D1B7A5-AAF1-4D01-9052-B9E5AB34C35D.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 52601BC9-4C8A-454A-BCA2-BB976250551B.jpg
    52601BC9-4C8A-454A-BCA2-BB976250551B.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 8F387738-2E70-47E8-BB57-9B01FCD2A969.jpg
    8F387738-2E70-47E8-BB57-9B01FCD2A969.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

TheMule

Visit site
I'vd just come back from 3 days at RC camp where we had a great time. Brilliant experience for my young horse, great to get out on the xc course a couple of times in quick succession and now he feels super confident ready for his first event next week.
They had a pro photographer there so we're a bit spoilt with some nice shots

CE6EC083-72E9-4454-8B34-0A41AAFC00BE.jpeg
400CBD70-1BF3-4F1F-A0AA-79CEDE6A05E4.jpeg

We did have a bit of a launch off his first log drop!

5284A0CD-5927-449E-B436-F2C45CF2A618.jpeg
17F5097D-729E-41AC-AFDD-1F165422E9FD.jpeg

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Had a lovely afternoon at the open day/stallion show at Stallon Ai .

An interesting mix, with a few who where class .

I was surprised to be quite taken by a beautiful Spanish stallion . Shame we haven’t a suitable mare for him.
Favourite has to be steeped in luck ( Irish Draught ?) but was also really impressed by a son of Casall ridden by Billy Twomey
Is that the chestnut PRE?

mavandkaz

Visit site
A busy and fun weekend here.
Shambles had a bit of a change of character back in January and has been rather explosive with plenty of bucking, which is fairly uncharacteristic. Vet was happy and said he was just feeling well, but I was still unsure and with my confidence slipping away was ready to call it a day. Sent him off to trainer for two weeks whilst I was on holiday and he was foot perfect. So, basically I need to change the way I ride this new version. Two lessons this week and things were improving, no bucking and some nice work.

So yesterday we went off to some dressage to put it into practice. He was back to his normal self, happy and forward but also listening and rideable. Did two elementaries - some little errors which will be easy enough to sort. But so happy that we kept all feet on the ground, and no flying changes.

Belle went off to a charity ride this morning for the HIOW air ambulance - such a vital emergency service for us riders. Shame the ground is so hard so stuck to a walk but the bluebells were out and weather glorious.

Well done to all those out and about this weekend.

teapot

Visit site
Lesson yesterday was fabulous! :D

I had known all week it was a horse I'd never seen before so found name on yard planner, only to be met by this monstrous thing that tried to eat me. Now I'm 5ft11 and struggled to pop bridle on he was that big! Walked over to arena wondering what the hell I'd been allocated given I was eaten, cuddled, pushed, spooked on at a non-existent sound, and would. not. stop. chewing anything his gob could find. First thing coach said was 'are you wondering what I've given you?' Ummm yes?

Wow. Just wow. First time I've ever sat on something of that quality, size, suppleness and feel. Was brought on to event but just too slow, but would make someone a v.smart dressage horse (if you had a core of steel...) Despite his 17.3 height, double decker size, and about five mins spent in the air for each rise :oops: he gave me a great, albeit learning curve of a ride. Feel like I've been to the gym mind you today.

rara007

Visit site
I managed to slightly break my good ankle in the house. Still working out what that means for my plans. I don’t like change and meant to be taking both to a 3 day event next weekend :(

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Just back from camp, exhausted but happy!

Red, I hope you have a great camp, beware of the Somerford Haylage, it's rocket fuel! .

Ha, already ahead of you there. Took a bale of his normal hay. He usually only gets hard feed at night, and there he had it twice a day, but even that is mainly SB and chop!

Had a fabulous time this week, baby horse was there for experience and was the one most people wanted to take home, looked sweet and did his level best to please all weekend. First time anywhere like that and he simply took it all in his stride. I did find the ground quite hard though, so we did little XC. That said, I was delighted that he would hack round, let the others canter off and back etc without hotting up. Just right for an ageing person like me!

The trainers were amazing, listened to what we all wanted to do and bust a gut to give us all an amazing time. The organisation was amazing, the food fantastic too, I daren't weigh myself. It was delicious, plentiful, thoughtful. The whole weekend was great!

Expecting some pro photos, paid for a social media package. I checked with the owner and he is fine to share on here when they come. Got some nice videos too.

Met the wonderful @ycbm and Ludo, will hopefully meet up again when I am back and maybe even ride out together. Next time I may also meet @photo_jo , next month, as I am booked to go back, with a different company and she will be there.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I've been looking forward to your report Red, sounds like a great weekend - well done baby horse! Also a bit/very jealous that you got to meet the lovely Ludo :D

Ivy hound got her own thread in AAD for a report on her first horse even at Munstead yesterday, she did very well a couple of hiccups aside. OH and I enjoyed watching some XC and SJ together, although it was very windy!

Today I had a fab hack with share horse. She was reluctant heading out but part way along suddenly picked up and then we had a really lovely ride. My first solo hack in a while, so pleased that although I still get nervous I can get on and manage it until the nerves give way to enjoying the ride :)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I managed to slightly break my good ankle in the house. Still working out what that means for my plans. I don’t like change and meant to be taking both to a 3 day event next weekend :(
Oh gosh poor you. Are you in a cast?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Had a fabulous time this week, baby horse was there for experience and was the one most people wanted to take home, looked sweet and did his level best to please all weekend. First time anywhere like that and he simply took it all in his stride. I did find the ground quite hard though, so we did little XC. That said, I was delighted that he would hack round, let the others canter off and back etc without hotting up. Just right for an ageing person like me!

The trainers were amazing, listened to what we all wanted to do and bust a gut to give us all an amazing time. The organisation was amazing, the food fantastic too, I daren't weigh myself. It was delicious, plentiful, thoughtful. The whole weekend was great!

Expecting some pro photos, paid for a social media package. I checked with the owner and he is fine to share on here when they come. Got some nice videos too.

Met the wonderful @ycbm and Ludo, will hopefully meet up again when I am back and maybe even ride out together. Next time I may also meet @photo_jo , next month, as I am booked to go back, with a different company and she will be there.

Wonderful, me ? ???

Red's baby is absolute class. The very best of Irish bred IDx quality and given he was away from home for the first time, unbelievably well behaved. I have several great photos from photo_jo, she has such an eye (also a lovely person! ). The offer to nanny you round the farm ride definitely stands. The only thing that would stop that is if we move house that weekend (please no ?)

Red-1

Visit site
Wonderful, me ? ???

Red's baby is absolute class. The very best of Irish bred IDx quality and given he was away from home for the first time, unbelievably well behaved. I have several great photos from photo_jo, she has such an eye (also a lovely person! ). The offer to nanny you round the farm ride definitely stands. The only thing that would stop that is if we move house that weekend (please no ?)

Oh yes, wonderful. Even stood firm when I gave a hug, which was very unlike me and perhaps because I felt like I already knew you. I promise not to do it again!

After this weekend, I don't think he needs a nanny. We aren't allowed on the ride without at least 2 people, although I should be able to get someone from camp to come out with me as I guess we will be buddying up. It would still be nice to have a ride out, as long as it suits you.

ycbm

Visit site
Oh yes, wonderful. Even stood firm when I gave a hug, which was very unlike me and perhaps because I felt like I already knew you. I promise not to do it again!

After this weekend, I don't think he needs a nanny. We aren't allowed on the ride without at least 2 people, although I should be able to get someone from camp to come out with me as I guess we will be buddying up. It would still be nice to have a ride out, as long as it suits you.

I was looking forward to it, hug and all :)

scats

Visit site
Headed to Kelsall today with my Dad to watch. Nice day out, but arrived back to find Polly had gone head first into her stable wall again (deja vu…)
Fortunately she hasn’t moved any brickwork this time, but her poor head and eyelid are cut.
Seems to coincide, once again, with the start of overnight turnout, so sleep deprivation and subsequent collapse looking likely. Had a chat to out of hours vet and she’s had inflacam tonight and is switching back to night time stabled and day turnout as I just can’t risk her really hurting herself again.
Poor girl. She looked much better once cleaned up and is eating and seems bright enough.
FE17C3B7-3BBF-49B7-AE93-404A8DF8E4B1.jpeg
F525E91B-9557-4737-9DC3-192085A73454.jpeg

ycbm

Visit site
Headed to Kelsall today with my Dad to watch. Nice day out, but arrived back to find Polly had gone head first into her stable wall again (deja vu…)
Fortunately she hasn’t moved any brickwork this time, but her poor head and eyelid are cut.
Seems to coincide, once again, with the start of overnight turnout, so sleep deprivation and subsequent collapse looking likely. Had a chat to out of hours vet and she’s had inflacam tonight and is switching back to night time stabled and day turnout as I just can’t risk her really hurting herself again.
Poor girl. She looked much better once cleaned up and is eating and seems bright enough.
View attachment 91498
View attachment 91499

:(

Red-1

Visit site
View attachment 91498
View attachment 91499
I'm sorry to see that.

FWIW, Rigsby has to have overnight stabling. The first time he laid down whilst I was riding, I thought he was being wilful as he was hot. The second time, it was obvious to me that he simply fell asleep and dropped. It was on an arena, after work, whilst he was relaxing. Both were when it was also hot.

Both times were when he was out day and night. Never happened when he has a stable to sleep in. He is OK in for a few hours in the day and out at night, but we now arranged it so he has a stable and patio. In the day he has field time, at night he can choose, but he does feel comfortable to sleep flat out!

I hope the sleeping arrangements mean it never happens again. As I said, it cured Rigs.

racebuddy

Visit site
My lorry flew through her mot so ready for outings again , the baby one had few days chilling in the field , my older boy acute onset of dragging his feet ?? so vets back out again for him tommorow xx such a worry xx on postive more the sun ☀️ was shining xx

Caol Ila

Visit site
Well, the pony's halo has lost its shine. It was bound to happen one day. :rolleyes:

Took him on a long ride to a place he's been before. The Carbeth huts. http://www.carbethhutters.co.uk/ They are weird, but he was cool with it last time. But today, they were busier than before, and he wasn't that cool and got a wee bit wound up, but still fine. I had wanted to cross the A809 and try to get to Edenmill, but he acted like he had never seen a road that fast. Maybe he hasn't. It wasn't helped by the motorbikes using it as a feckin' racetrack. He went up on two legs whenever they came screaming past. Needless to say, we did not attempt to cross. Turned around and went up the hill about 20m to a grassy clearing, where I jumped off and got him to cool his jets by encouraging him to graze.

Once he'd settled, I got back on, and we headed back towards the West Highland Way. All seemed copacetic, and we followed the WHW towards Milngavie, which he's done quite a few times. He was back to normal. I hopped off to cross the wee boardwalk, and the moment I got back on, he lost his sh1t. Went from zero to sixty. Tried to canter up the WHW, and when I would not let him run, he tried various weird and wonderful ways to levitate, none of which I found amusing. OH said, "I think it's the golf course." There was a big golf course, just on the other side of the trees, and there were some guys whacking balls at the hole nearest to the WHW. I don't like golf, either, but it was a bit over-dramatic! (subsequent research reveals that this part of the course has only been opened in the last week...yay). I decided to get off and try getting him under control from the ground. We did quite a few fairly wild NH-style circles on the side of the West Highland Way. He didn't completely settle, but he got better, to the point where I thought we could stop doing circles on the side of the WHW. I led him down the trail, making him pay attention with occasional halt transitions, then got back on board when I thought I could. He wasn't the epitome of tranquility, but he entertained the idea of staying in walk until we got to the road that goes back towards the barn. At the part where he can be a bit spooky under the best of circumstances, he started getting quite lively again. This time, I told dear patient foot soldier OH, "I gotta run," and sent Fin up the hill at a brisk trot. Once in trot, he was far more controllable and pleasant. Ideal. And it's a long uphill stretch. Even better. At the top of the hill, I made him wait for OH. He did not want to wait, but I told him I was tired of this sh1t, and he grudgingly waited. As soon as OH appeared, we finished the last stretch, and Fin cruised home cool and calm, like the whole last two hours had never bloody happened.

I guess they all malfunction sometimes. I keep reminding myself that I haven't had him that long, and it can take a couple years to truly settle a new horse. I guess lots of people here and on FB only write about the good stuff (the FB Friendly Highland Pony Group makes them all looks like paragons of equine virtue), so the bad stuff feels worse. Damn you, social media.

scats

Visit site
I'm sorry to see that.

FWIW, Rigsby has to have overnight stabling. The first time he laid down whilst I was riding, I thought he was being wilful as he was hot. The second time, it was obvious to me that he simply fell asleep and dropped. It was on an arena, after work, whilst he was relaxing. Both were when it was also hot.

Both times were when he was out day and night. Never happened when he has a stable to sleep in. He is OK in for a few hours in the day and out at night, but we now arranged it so he has a stable and patio. In the day he has field time, at night he can choose, but he does feel comfortable to sleep flat out!

I hope the sleeping arrangements mean it never happens again. As I said, it cured Rigs.

They’ve been coming in during the day for a few hours but whereas Millie gets straight down for her sleep, Polly doesn’t and there was often no sign that she’d had a lie down at all during the day. Then of course she was back out overnight where I assume she spent all night munching.
She’s had no incidents at all all winter, but seems very odd that it’s happened within a week of going out overnight. She was lucky last year to get away with just superficial cuts because she had dislodged a double bricked wall by nearly 4 inches.
She’s the sweetest little mare and it broke my heart to think this has happened again. We genuinely just thought last year was a one off.
I’m more than happy to keep them at night all year so it’s not a major issue. Millie was a bit annoyed, but she’ll get over it. They’ll be out first thing every morning anyway. Horses! A constant worry!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
A long long day at Kelsall. Simon was totally wonderful again and finished 6th in the novice +

XC
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

SJ

Baby Isaac had a more educational day in the 90 - dressage and SJ he was a bit overwhelmed with stuff to look at. But he was very pro around the xc and kept eyeing up bigger things to jump ?

Operation get to the 2*long for Simon is still in full swing!! His fourth top 6 placing on the bounce at novice - what a boy!

Chippers1

Visit site
Buzz was excellent in the clinic yesterday, so proud of him :) we ended up jumping a bigger course which was really great as I haven't jumped a 70 course for ages (I know it's tiny :D) but I felt so confident on him. There were two occasions where he really slowed down - I think he was concentrating more on a pony in the xc outside :D - but whereas normally I would panic about the height and stop riding I actually rode properly and he went over everything! How it should be done really...ha.
He also got a few hours in the summer fields before they move down there for summer over the next week, not much grazing was done though!
Brook.jpg

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Good baby spots!
2nd of 2 in the Foreign breeds (still last in my eyes but the winner deserved their placing)
2nd of 3 in the Hunter Type
3rd of 7 in the coloured/odd coloured.
Lovely comments from the judge, same as before - needs to fill out more. (Cmon Nug, I know you’re part warmblood but we’re still waiting for some chonk!)
Another Appy there who stole the show and took supreme. So great to see as judges are very marmite about the spotties.
Blue cross pony was epic! Abit strong in his first (ever) class but he was trying to catch up to mine, so I moved behind them in the line and he calmed right down - got better for every class! His little person was super nervous but did manage to do a few trots without adult help and was thrilled to get some frillies!
Think I’m getting a showing bug?!
(But reviewed our trotting videos and whilst the boy looks great, I am DEFINITELY lame ?)

Attachments

• 68CE84EC-42A6-403E-B209-071F5CEC7A67.jpeg
    68CE84EC-42A6-403E-B209-071F5CEC7A67.jpeg
    607 KB · Views: 16
  • 3CBBE627-D9CC-47C2-9F7A-2AEC3A2166D1.jpeg
    3CBBE627-D9CC-47C2-9F7A-2AEC3A2166D1.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 16

Alibear

Visit site
Rubbish hack on Friday evening, the suggestion of using the snaffle to hack has been tried, failed and consigned to the never do again pile. Gorgeous hack on Saturday back in the curb and a happy relaxed pair again. Then tried the instructor's bit for a lesson on Sunday and she was awesome. Even did our first flying change, OK I was aiming for a simple but I'll take it, it was neat and correct and in the right spot :cool: New bit will have to be purchased and shipped from the states, so ouch on the bank balance but it should be worth it.