4x4/horsebox - was it worth it.

jenmac_85

Visit site
Taking my time at the moment and looking around at various transport options.

However it always comes down to whether it would be worth it to buy one. Would I get enough use out of it.

I plan to do things like go to the beach, maybe do a couple of hacks, go on holiday for a week or two with him. Probably wont do any serious competing.

However i dont want to get a 4x4 and find that I dont get the use out of it (I travel 40 miles a day so it would be heavy on fuel) and a horsbox woudl just sit and look at me lol.

Have you all got the use out of it that you thought you would?

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I was offered a trailer and a Discovery for £1,300 for the pair - very lucky but both needed a bit of work doing before they were roadworthy. I sold my Peugot 306 Estate which was brilliant on fuel and now just have Disco.

Although fuel is expensive (about £20 more a tank than the Peugot at the moment) I find the freedom it gives me to drive the trailer is wonderful. I use my trailer at least once a week to go hunting. All summer I loaded the horse up and went riding with friends, did sponsored rides, xc schooling, hunter trials... the lot. Def. worth it!! I don't do serious competing either but who cares!! I love the freedom.

I would love a little lorry (like the Stratford one that was won) but can't afford it and so have made the best of what I could afford.

josephinebutter2

Visit site
How big is your horse? You could always go for a smaller trailer i.e. Ifor Williams 505 which can be towed with a decent sized saloon or estate car - especially if you won't be doing any off-roading.

SDH

Visit site
When i bought my 4x4 i considered trading my little run-around (7yr old Fiat Punto) in agaisnt one. But turned out I could only get 600quid for the Punto.

So I altered my budget and bought a cheaper 4x4 (12yr old Pajero for £2300) and kept my Punto.

Okay i have to pay 2 lots of insurance & road tax but i commute 60 miles a day to work & back .... which would cost me a fortune in Diesel in the 4x4 but only 35quid in my petrol for my Punto.
I'll let you know if its worth it, once I actually pass my trailer test and dont have to ask someone to sit with me, L plates & trailer!
Hope thats helpful

Chumsmum

Visit site
I've got an N reg Trooper and IW505 trailer. I'm lucky that I have a company car now as my runaround - the Trooper was getting v expensive to use for work.

I use my trailer at least once a week and wouldn't be without it - I don't have a school so take pony for lessons at least once a week, usually visit friends every weekend etc and will go out even more in the summer. Also use for the trailer for collecting hay and the 4x4 great for fetching feed, shavings etc.

I've only had the trailer for a year but love the freedom it has given me.

I would say go for it
smile.gif

star

Visit site
definitely. i bought a 4x4 and trailer in may/july this year and have been out pretty much every weekend since then. lessons or hacking or XC schooling or shows - there's always somewhere to go!