4x4s that are not AWD

scribble

Visit site
So my Kia sorrento has died. 06 plate done 115,000 miles 2.5 crdi but it is awd and the transfer box is buggered. Apparently with any 4x4 that has AWD this is a torque on demand box Tod and if you have these then you have to replace all 4 tyres when you put a new tyre on so the differential isn’t messed up. Basically if you gave tyres with different tread depths it thinks one or more is slipping so constantly engages the AWD so it ends up knackered. No one has ever told us this not even Kia. Looking though all 4x4 seem to have AWD then a low ratio option so you are always stuck with the same issue unless you buy a defender etc which has 2wd, 4wd and diffs.
Any mechanics know different???

thenervouscob

Visit site
That's odd, I've got an 04 plate Sorrento XS that's AWD 2.5 same set up as yours with 145k on the clock. I've had it from 50k & it's only in the last 2 weeks it's had matching front & rear tyres, quite often grabbers on the rear & road tyres on the front. Never had any issue with the duff or anything & it's always been fab off road & in snow. That's just my experience though.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I’ve had 4 x 4 s of varying types for years and match front and backs but never change fronts because backs are worn Or vice Versa and have never had an issue - I’ve had vw Volvo vauxhall Mercedes and land rovers offerings and never had an issue with this

Southern

Visit site
I had that problem with mine. Replaced two tyres and driving home felt like I had fitted square wheels. Had to replace the other two tyres. After that I rotated them every few thousand miles for even wear and replaced a full set at a time..... costly!!

Wheels

Visit site
Well a 4x4 is always 4 wheel drive - that's kind of the point.

Do you mean a 2wd SUV?

I tend to make sure I have matching front tyres and matching back tyres on my big 4wd. So if I got a front puncture I might change both fronts - I don't use it very often but they are substantial tyres with deep treads so I would think it could well be an issue if the tread patterns were very different front to back so I would see the difference in depth front to back and change them all if necessary. I have two AWD cars that have pretty standard road tyres and so their treads are nowhere near as deep and I wouldn't think it is as important to have matching tyres on those cars although again would want fairly well matched front tyres and fairly well matched back

3OldPonies

Visit site
Hmm, Wheels, I don't wish to be pedantic, but 4x4 is not always 4 wheel drive. Older Land Rovers are only part-time 4WD. They have a second 'gear' lever that puts them either in 4 or two wheel drive. Two wheel for on the road, 4 wheel for off road. This was so that the build up of torque mentioned by OP didn't happen.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I thought they were all like that, all the subaru farm trucks I learnt to drive in (on farm) had that, as did our nissan terrano.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Err, as stated above you can select whether to be in 4WD or 2WD in my beefy 4x4 (Shogun), plus whether you want low or high ratio or diff lock. I like being in charge!

We can't choose with our Skoda Octavia Scout, it automatically detects wheel slip and engages 4WD when it thinks it's required, so similarish to the OP's car? Tbh it works seamlessly, so I can't tell if 4WD is on or off, and there's no light on the dash to tell me. Never heard of changing tyres as a set, usually they would be done in pairs as they get worn but not if a newish one got trashed, we'd just replace the knackered one.

Wheels

Visit site
Hmm, Wheels, I don't wish to be pedantic, but 4x4 is not always 4 wheel drive. Older Land Rovers are only part-time 4WD. They have a second 'gear' lever that puts them either in 4 or two wheel drive. Two wheel for on the road, 4 wheel for off road. This was so that the build up of torque mentioned by OP didn't happen.

Oh right yeah, gotcha, misunderstood the first post.

But I would still apply the rules in the rest of my post as having front pair the same and back pair the same etc

scruffyponies

Visit site
My old (1983ish) 110 had a second gear lever for high and low ratio, and a diff lock knob. It was 4WD at all times. I understood that the torque build-up thing was only an issue when reversing long distances. Apparently the leccy board trucks suffered badly for it, as they often had to reverse all the way along tracks.

9tails

Visit site
Scribble, you can get round this by removing a fuse. Have a look on Sorento Owners Forum, it's I think number 13 in the driver's footwell. This doesn't work for models built 2007 on, but should work for your 2006. Then when you need 4wd, put the fuse back in.

Circe

Visit site
So my Kia sorrento has died. 06 plate done 115,000 miles 2.5 crdi but it is awd and the transfer box is buggered. Apparently with any 4x4 that has AWD this is a torque on demand box Tod and if you have these then you have to replace all 4 tyres when you put a new tyre on so the differential isn’t messed up. Basically if you gave tyres with different tread depths it thinks one or more is slipping so constantly engages the AWD so it ends up knackered. No one has ever told us this not even Kia. Looking though all 4x4 seem to have AWD then a low ratio option so you are always stuck with the same issue unless you buy a defender etc which has 2wd, 4wd and diffs.
Any mechanics know different???

OH is a landrover mechanic, and he says that this is technically correct, as it is to do with the rolling distance of a new tyre compaired to the tyres that are worn more. Also why tyres should be rotated. ( Ive just listened to a 30min talk on directional stability, ABS, tyre size, how old 4W4 worked, then the older landrover system of manually locking the diff to 4WD, and now modern cars using either the brakes or a computerized diff - I understand very little of it ! )
Kx

Circe

Visit site
Thanks for taking one for the team, Circe!

Hands up how many of us regularly rotate our tyres? A ridiculous notion, even if we had the kit to do it.

:cool: no problem.
..... Also, I certainly don't rotate my car tyres, and I certainly don't put all new on if one gets a flat.

vmac66

Visit site
I have an 06 Kia Sorrento. It has a knob that I have to turn to select 4wd and either hi or low drive. Have only used it once, its usually in 2wd.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
A previous XE owner where you had to manually shift between 2wd & 4wd (hi/low diff) & owner of XS which is permanent 4wd (or at least I think it is, as there is knob/switch to tell me any different!)

AandK

Visit site
AandK, the XS is in permanent AWD. I'm assuming the OP has an XS.

The reason I mentioned my XE is OP said "Looking though all 4x4 seem to have AWD then a low ratio option so you are always stuck with the same issue unless you buy a defender etc which has 2wd, 4wd and diffs."
So mentioning there are 4x4 out there that aren't permanent AWD!