5 point breastplate?

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
I'm shortly going to be competing my gelding, Wings at showjumping and possibly eventing, and I was wondering whether it would be worth me getting a 5 point breastplate?

Thanks!

eishi

Visit site
personally.. you can get on perfectly fine with just normal breastplate..

I event 4 horses and none of them have one.. they are a bit of a fashion thing at the moment tbh... yes they are useful on some horses.. but guarenteed not everyone who has them!

also at £140 they aren't cheap!

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
Ok, thanks very much. I thought the 5 point one looked better as it also attatches to the girth I think, not just the D rings, so I thought it might keep the saddle in place better
smile.gif

kerilli

Visit site
i don't think they keep the saddle in place any better than a normal one - the fact is, its fit and the girth do most of keeping it in place. but if you haven't got a breastplate at all, get whichever you prefer obv!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I tend to use elasticated V shaped breastplates, which attach to the girth and the front Ds. Much cheaper than 5 point. A lot of people nowadays are competing in a combination of V breastplate and elasticated breastgirth (attaching to girth billets) which would be as effective as a 5 point (and again a lot cheaper!). The company I work for sells a (very expensive) 5 point bp but tbh I don't recommend it very often
smile.gif