5 stage vetting - are they really worth it?

Cai Boy

Visit site
Are 5 stage vettings really worth it? My reason for asking is because a couple of weeks ago I purchased a horse and insisted on a 5 stage vetting to ensure he had a thorough check. The vetting was a success and so I brought my horse home. He was shod earlier this week when my farrier told me that my horse had chronic laminitis. I'm now feeling really disappointed that the horse got through the vetting process and nothing of the sort had been picked up. Am I over-reacting or am I right to feel let down by the vet for not picking this up? My horse has only been with me for 3 weeks.

Cai Boy

Visit site
Yes, bloods were taken but not tested for pain killers. Will be speaking to the vet later today. I just would have thought he would have picked this up from the physical examination.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Horse was vetted a couple of weeks ago. And then shod earlier this week.

I would say nothing to do with the vetting - laminitis can appear overnight.

L&M

Visit site
I am sorry for your situation and chronic laminitus would indicate it is not a new occurence. I am sure you would not have purchased the horse if you knew it had this issue but at least it is a condition that is maneagable.

The last horse we had vetted was put down with wobblers less than 3 mnths after - I requested a vetting as felt the mare had a strange gait in canter, but not knowing anything about wobblers, didn't know why. However as the vet passed her I assumed it was 'just her'....

In hindsight I should have taken the vet too task, but was too upest at the time to do anything about it. I haven't had one vetted since.

In your situation I would be contacting the vet who conducted the vetting asap.

Good luck.

Last edited:

marmalade76

Visit site
Some might say no. Someone I chatted with once said she'd had to have a horse PTS only six months after a five stage (can't quite remember the reason, think it was navicular) and said that she would never have another vetted and would insure instead. Some insurance companies will insure (NFU is one, will insure horses worth upto £5k) without vetting.

applecart14

Visit site
Are 5 stage vettings really worth it? My reason for asking is because a couple of weeks ago I purchased a horse and insisted on a 5 stage vetting to ensure he had a thorough check. The vetting was a success and so I brought my horse home. He was shod earlier this week when my farrier told me that my horse had chronic laminitis. I'm now feeling really disappointed that the horse got through the vetting process and nothing of the sort had been picked up. Am I over-reacting or am I right to feel let down by the vet for not picking this up? My horse has only been with me for 3 weeks.

I would never buy without a full five stage and bloods but if your horse has chronic laminitis then he has had this a while, as the name suggests, its something that has reached a 'chronic' stage. Now if your farrier had said the horse has acute laminitis I would suggest that had come on after the vetting.

Jules19

Visit site
Marmalade76, in contrast to your tale, I had a 4yo 5 stage vetted that came up marginally lame on the lunge on the hard, took it as far as X rays and they found modelling in the navicular bone, and hence I didn't buy. So in that case it was picked up, and I would have not picked up on the issue without going through the 5 stage process. Should point out that it was the first horse I've had vetted as have always been picked them up for free previously, felt I should 'protect' my capital investment if I could! But I also appreciate it is a bit like a MOT, only good for the day it is done.

Couldn't comment on the OP's situation, but think it's worth discussing with your vets at least. Were you there for the vetting, was anything mentioned at the time at all?

Cai Boy

Visit site
Were you there for the vetting, was anything mentioned at the time at all?
Yes, I was there and the only thing the vet picked upon was the fact that he was missing a shoe and as he was 'a little lame because of no shoe'. He had a new shoe put on and the vet went back couple of weeks later and declared him sound. I was there for both visits and nothing mentioned at all regarding laminitis. He checked his feet on both occasions. In hindsight I should have been more persuasive and not just accepted 'lameness due to no shoe'. I am no expert and put my faith in experts. That is what I pay for after all. Have re-checked the paperwork and nothing mentioned on there other than the lameness due to no shoe but confirmed was fine afterwards and fit for purpose. Thank you all for your responses.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What evidence do you have that the horse had laminitis at the time of the vetting? And if this was the case surely subsequent to it arriving at your yard you would have noticed a chronic lameness in your horse?

Polos Mum

Visit site
I think they are worth it as long as you realise that it only gives you some insight into the horses soundness ON the day it is done. vets don't have xray visision or a crystal ball and they are human so can miss things or be fobbed off by clever/ devious sellers.

Illnesses can develop the next day, chronic conditions that the horse has coped with can become obvious the day after equally the horse can slip coming off the lorry and suffer a career ending injury!

Weighing it up I would have one done - eyesight, heart etc I have no idea about so for only a few £hundred (nothing in the grand scheme of horse ownership!) I personally think it's worth it - if you can find a good older experienced specalist equine vet that is completely unconnected to the seller

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
What I am sort of understanding here is that the horse clearly passed a 5 stage but the farrier has picked up on the fact that clearly the horse has had laminitis in the past? Therefore horse probably sound at the moment so would pass a vetting for whatever purpose OP wants the horse for. Farrier was clearly pointing out that the horse has suffered bouts in the past and to keep an eye on it. Chronic laminitis is an on-going condition which is apparent from the state of the feet and the farrier would have noticed as he was shoeing the horse.

If the horse had a case of acute laminitis at the time of the vetting it no doubt wouldn't have passed for love nor money!!

paulineh

Visit site
In all the years I have had horses I have never had any vetted, maybe I'm just lucky but then I have never payed much for them.

Any vetting like a MOT on a car , is only good for that day only. They are also only the opintion of that vet.

A friend had a very nice young (5 year old) Arab gelding have a 2 stage and was told that he had a good strong back and limbs. He then went away ( the owners choice) to finish his training and while away he had a full 5 stage vetting and was told by that vet that he had a weak back and limbs. My friend did not buy him.

Two vets within 4 weeks giving 2 different opinions , who was right.

Another case again the same friend went to see an Arab mare who failed a 5 stage vetting on very very slight lameness and was told by the vet that she would not make an Endurance horse. The mare went on to be sold to someone who produced her for Endurance and she has never been lame to this day.

It took my friend nearly a year to find her present horse, but he is a super chap. Just what she wanted.

So the point is do you have a horse vetted or not.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Indeed, but these would be covered in a 2 stage.

Agreed but if you've incurred the call out then the difference in cost between 2 and 5 stage is really minimal so why not get the vet to watch it trot up etc. If it's a sensible vet you trust then their opinion should have value - as long as you realise it's just an opinion.