5 stage vetting

Tam82

Visit site
I had a horse vetted today, all was going well untill the owner rode him, amd he was intermittently 1/10 lame on his hind, she ride wonky, i got on him and he was fine, he then had a second flection test after he was rested and again the intermittent lameness came back, she said there was no stiffness, wasnt uncomfortable when holding his leg up, no signs of pain. He is 8. So not i dont know what to do?

Tam82

Visit site
It was intermittent, i couldnt even notice, i didnt think they did a secont flection test after the rest period. He is a lovely boy but green in the school and im worried that if i school him lots it might get worse, but on the other had it might solve the issue

Melody Grey

Visit site
That’s a tricky one made all the more tricky by insurance nowadays and the potential of only being able to insure 3/4 of the horse due to a failed flextion test (assuming you’d want to insure?)

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
The lame after the second flexion test would worry me.

It would be a fail and therefore a no on paper, but then life is not perfect and weather I bought the horse could depend on many factors.

If I were selling the horse I would have the vet and investigate, having had he farrier and saddle investigated too. If that threw up a problem then I would re-present to the vet on my own £ and see if they thought it would be worth contacting you.

As a buyer, presuming the seller did not do the above, it would depend on whether I really could not live without the horse, whether it was discounted to a very low price, and weather I could stand having a companion/PTS if the horse went lame. It would also depend on what I expected of the horse.

A while back I wanted a run-alongside horse for my young mare, just as a companion and to do a bit of light hacking as a companion. I nearly bought an aged gelding, who I would not have bothered vetting. He was on the face of it sound, but I suspect would not have passed a vetting or stood up to a lot of work. I don't think he would have enjoyed a flexion test! I offered what he was worth to me, and would have taken a risk on him as he was already doing what I needed him to do, and if he went lame he could have retired, or PTS if he was not happy as a field companion. The owners did not accept my offer, which is great as he is still with them almost 2 years later as he was also doing a job for them.

If I were looking for my own horse then I would be inclined not to buy. Having said that, when I bought my first eventer he was not entirely sound, but then his feet weren't great and he was cheap enough and I could not be without him. He improved and went on to event to Intermediate, even lightly competed until he was nearly 20, although his feet did need careful management throughout.

If you have any doubts though, I would leave the horse.

Myloubylou

Visit site
As we know any horse can go lame at any time but don’t think I’d buy with a known lameness. Might just be bruising or could be something needing expensive treatment. I 5 stage vetted & got good insurance for the 1st year in case my pony has something not apparent in vetting.

Tam82

Visit site
That’s a tricky one made all the more tricky by insurance nowadays and the potential of only being able to insure 3/4 of the horse due to a failed flextion test (assuming you’d want to insure?)
Yes i would be insuring

Tam82

Visit site
The lame after the second flexion test would worry me.

It would be a fail and therefore a no on paper, but then life is not perfect and weather I bought the horse could depend on many factors.

If I were selling the horse I would have the vet and investigate, having had he farrier and saddle investigated too. If that threw up a problem then I would re-present to the vet on my own £ and see if they thought it would be worth contacting you.

As a buyer, presuming the seller did not do the above, it would depend on whether I really could not live without the horse, whether it was discounted to a very low price, and weather I could stand having a companion/PTS if the horse went lame. It would also depend on what I expected of the horse.

A while back I wanted a run-alongside horse for my young mare, just as a companion and to do a bit of light hacking as a companion. I nearly bought an aged gelding, who I would not have bothered vetting. He was on the face of it sound, but I suspect would not have passed a vetting or stood up to a lot of work. I don't think he would have enjoyed a flexion test! I offered what he was worth to me, and would have taken a risk on him as he was already doing what I needed him to do, and if he went lame he could have retired, or PTS if he was not happy as a field companion. The owners did not accept my offer, which is great as he is still with them almost 2 years later as he was also doing a job for them.

If I were looking for my own horse then I would be inclined not to buy. Having said that, when I bought my first eventer he was not entirely sound, but then his feet weren't great and he was cheap enough and I could not be without him. He improved and went on to event to Intermediate, even lightly competed until he was nearly 20, although his feet did need careful management throughout.

If you have any doubts though, I would leave the horse.
Thankyou, his is very green for an 8yr old, so hasnt got alot of miles, because of his conformation he wouldnt go about novice in dressage. Im not totally inlove with him, but i do feel safe on him, i brough a horse back in jan he passed 5 stage and he broke after 4 months with a bone spur on his fetlock joint, so im very wary

be positive

Visit site
Thankyou, his is very green for an 8yr old, so hasnt got alot of miles, because of his conformation he wouldnt go about novice in dressage. Im not totally inlove with him, but i do feel safe on him, i brough a horse back in jan he passed 5 stage and he broke after 4 months with a bone spur on his fetlock joint, so im very wary

If he has poor conformation, is low mileage and has just shown to be unsound at 2 stages of a vetting, it is normal to do flexions a second time especially if there has been a question mark already, then I would walk away unless he is very cheap and the vet thinks it may pass a second vetting in a week or so, I would also need to be 'in love with him' .

Tam82

Visit site
If he has poor conformation, is low mileage and has just shown to be unsound at 2 stages of a vetting, it is normal to do flexions a second time especially if there has been a question mark already, then I would walk away unless he is very cheap and the vet thinks it may pass a second vetting in a week or so, I would also need to be 'in love with him' .
Yeah im not massively, it wouldnt break myheart to walk away, justfrustrating that i have to start looking again

TPO

Visit site
Vetting aside I wouldn't take on anything that I didn't really want. I realise the temptation to get another asap having had the bad luck with your last and it's understandable to want something to ride etc but liking the horse REALLY helps when times are tough (and we all have tough times). So if your heart isn't in it* then I wouldn't even bother vetting, just walk away until you find one that you can't stop thinking about and planning the future with.

*obviously different if you are bringing on to sell etc but if it's your one fun horse then I think that it needs to be on that you really like/love

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think you have answered your own question. If he is green for an 8 year old, has conformation faults that would restrict his ability, is already unsound and you don't even feel that strongly about him then there is no question for me, I would walk away.