5 stage with x rays

kelvinsirrel

Visit site
Our horse that’s on sales livery has had 5 stage vetting and X-rays today.
Everything was ok and what you would expect from a 12 year old but he was a little sore on RF on the flexion test and purchasers have been advised that in the future he could need medicating however his X-rays have come back ok. I had already dropped his price from 14k to 12k and anticipate they are going to try and knock me down further on price. What do you think is reasonable?

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Usually a horse passes or fails flexion tests…and as a test most vets I know don’t really rate them as a useful tool…if the buyers want a price drop let them suggest a figure and then see if you can live with it..don’t you offer a figure ..it might be lower than they d suggest. You can always say the price has been reduced already and there is no further room for manoeuvre. If X-rays acceptable and vets haven’t flagged anything I would hold my nerve…and don’t nervously chat..silence is a powerful tool in negotiation.

kelvinsirrel

Visit site
Usually a horse passes or fails flexion tests…and as a test most vets I know don’t really rate them as a useful tool…if the buyers want a price drop let them suggest a figure and then see if you can live with it..don’t you offer a figure ..it might be lower than they d suggest. You can always say the price has been reduced already and there is no further room for manoeuvre. If X-rays acceptable and vets haven’t flagged anything I would hold my nerve…and don’t nervously chat..silence is a powerful tool in negotiation.
Thank you, this is my method of thinking. If his X-rays are ok, he could just be having an off day. He’s been on sales for 4 weeks with very little turn out as the grounds is so wet and possibly just feeling a bit stiff.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If he’s sore, he’s sore. And it’s up to the buyer whether they want to take the risk of something more significant going on. If they offer you £10k I’d probably take it.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm really sorry but for me he's an "on the day" fail with x rays suggesting that he may have a soft tissue injury, most likely inside the foot since there's nothing to show for it anywhere.

I wouldn't personally proceed at anything close to that asking price. If your buyers wish to proceed you might be wise to accept whatever you can bear to drop to, in case something is brewing that will shortly make him unsellable. Bear in mind your buyers will be unable to insure that leg, and possibly both fronts.

I guess it depends how much you need him sold and out of your hands.

It's a devil of a problem when a horse you have for sale doesn't vet sound, I'm sorry you're in that situation.

Last edited:

kelvinsirrel

Visit site
Thank you, this is my method of thinking. If his X-rays are ok, he could just be having an off day. He’s been on sales for 4 weeks with very little turn out as the grounds is so wet and possibly just feeling a bit stiff.
They carried on to the x rays so I suppose they passed his flexion

ycbm

Visit site
They carried on to the x rays so I suppose they passed his flexion

They may have "passed" it on the basis that they might see something on the x ray to account for it that was definitely treatable. Sadly the problem you have now is that it's possible there is something soft tissue brewing, and if there's nothing external to show for it, then the suspicion would be the foot, which can be a devil to resolve.

It would have been better, perversely, if both fronts had been the same. One only is very suggestive of an issue.

kelvinsirrel

Visit site
I'm really sorry but for me he's an "on the day" fail with x rays suggesting that he may have a soft tissue injury, most likely inside the foot since there's nothing to show for it anywhere.

I wouldn't personally proceed at anything close to that asking price. If your buyers wish to proceed you might be wise to accept whatever you can bear to drop to, in case something is brewing that will shortly make him unsellable. Bear in mind your buyers will be unable to insure that leg, and possibly both fronts.

I guess it depends how much you need him sold and out of your hands.

It's a devil of a problem when a horse you have for sale doesn't vet sound, I'm sorry you're in that situation.
Thanks for the reply, I didn’t think vets proceeded to X-rays if the horse failed the flexion, this has always been the case with any vettings Iv had.

gallopingby

Visit site
My view is that flexion tests are not reliable as a means of vetting and the results can vary depending on the vet. I once agreed to take a horse on trial who had ‘failed’ the flexion test much to everyone’s surprise. The arrangement was that the trial would be for 6 weeks after which my vet would repeat the flexion tests and if we weren’t happy the sellers would pay for the return transport costs. Horse was absolutely fine six weeks later and lived for another 16 years without any lameness.

ycbm

Visit site
Thanks for the reply, I didn’t think vets proceeded to X-rays if the horse failed the flexion, this has always been the case with any vettings Iv had.

Well there's no defining line for pass/ fail on a flexion on a12 year old horse, so I can see why they proceeded.

Insurers will have a much more black and white view, the leg is unlikely to be insurable for at least a year.

SO1

Visit site
They may have "passed" it on the basis that they might see something on the x ray to account for it that was definitely treatable. Sadly the problem you have now is that it's possible there is something soft tissue brewing, and if there's nothing external to show for it, then the suspicion would be the foot, which can be a devil to resolve.

It would have been better, perversely, if both fronts had been the same. One only is very suggestive of an issue.
It maybe that they thought it was a bit of arthritis and if it showed up on X rays they could medicate and get a nice horse for a negotiated price.

The x rays are clean but vet still thinks it is arthritis?

ycbm

Visit site
My view is that flexion tests are not reliable as a means of vetting and the results can vary depending on the vet. I once agreed to take a horse on trial who had ‘failed’ the flexion test much to everyone’s surprise. The arrangement was that the trial would be for 6 weeks after which my vet would repeat the flexion tests and if we weren’t happy the sellers would pay for the return transport costs. Horse was absolutely fine six weeks later and lived for another 16 years without any lameness.

It's a not uncommon experience for a horse to fall a flexion and have no problems from them onwards. But personally I've never seen a horse fail a flexion test that didn't have an issue. It's a question of whether buyers are prepared to accept the risk. At that price, I wouldn't be, unless like you I could get a clear retest.

kelvinsirrel

Visit site
Well there's no defining line for pass/ fail on a flexion on a12 year old horse, so I can see why they proceeded.

Insurers will have a much more black and white view, the leg is unlikely to be insurable for at least a year.
Iv just listened to my message again, the vet said for a 12 year old and for what they want him for they deemed him ok but yes obviously insurance companies see things differently

kelvinsirrel

Visit site
It maybe that they thought it was a bit of arthritis and if it showed up on X rays they could medicate and get a nice horse for a negotiated price.

The x rays are clean but vet still thinks it is arthritis?
This is what I’m confused about. The x rays are ok but the vet is talking about medicating in a few years time possibly

SO1

Visit site
This is what I’m confused about. The x rays are ok but the vet is talking about medicating in a few years time possibly
That doesn't make sense. There could be something brewing but unlikely to be arthritis if the X rays are clear.