50-100gm turnouts, which are best?

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
we are finding, in this constant drizzle that the boys are a bit cold in their Amigo LW's but in their MW's (220gm) if the sun comes out or the wind drops, they get too hot.

have been looking at the swish 75g ones-anyone any experience?

the weatherbeeta medium light only comes in a combo neck, and for Fig its GOT to be detachable, any other options?

Tash88

Visit site
I don't have one myself but I really like the look of the Premier Equine rugging system - just had a quick look on the website and they have 40gm and 70gm turnout rugs, and you can buy the interchangeable liners as well. And apparently they are more breathable than normal turnout rugs and antibacterial - which would be good for my horse as he can get quite itchy.

If the weather is changeable I usually put a thermatex on under a no-fill turnout rug as I figure it will warm him up if he's cold but he won't overheat in it, but I think I'll save up this summer (horse practically living out so spend less!) and buy some posh Premier Equine rugs for next winter!

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I like Swish they fit my TBxWB horses well but both 75g turnouts I bought last year have started to split of the stitching both in the same place so not sure if they have had a problem with them? Prior to that I have had lots which I have been happy with. I love Premier Equine rugs the 80g is a really light material, whereas the Swish ones are a heavier material I find and the one I have has lasted years.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com

I have this one with the detachable neck, it's a great rug. I also have the Swish 200g and don't think I'd buy another brand now. He had a JHL rainsheet/ LW no fill and it's always getting soaked through even in drizzle. Over the weekend mine was in the Swish 75g as when I got him in on Friday he was shivering (so much for hardy native types LOL!!).

The Swish rugs have never leaked, they don't move, and they are really good value for money. Nice and high on the shoulders which suits mine.

leflynn

Visit site
I have the Amigo 100g version and love it, fits well, wears well and does the job of keeping the wimp not too hot if it gets warm but warm enough if a bit cooler

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Yes, that's the only downside. It's weird though as I've had them for 2 years now. They didn't rub during the first winter (and he only wears Swish rugs) but did this last winter. TBH I've yet to find a rug that doesn't rub manes when you have the neck on so am resigned to it.

I didn't like the material of the Amigo rugs compared to Swish, even the more expensive one (Bravo?) felt cheap. I used to really like Amigo rugs but recently felt they've put the prices right up but quality has gone down.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
deeply tempted by the Amigo, its a pweeeety colour too :)

CS NEVER got rubbed as a 4/5/6yo but i think as his topline has developed, he has become more prone to it :( and Figgy is a super sensetive bear and always gets rubbed hence might striked the Swish off the list as the neck is quite high cut from the pics.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
deeply tempted by the Amigo, its a pweeeety colour too :)

CS NEVER got rubbed as a 4/5/6yo but i think as his topline has developed, he has become more prone to it :( and Figgy is a super sensetive bear and always gets rubbed hence might striked the Swish off the list as the neck is quite high cut from the pics.

Yes it is quite high cut - I find that most rugs sit too low on the chest and gape on my horse, so the Swish are great for not doing that. If I use it without the neck then it doesn't rub (the rub is a few inches higher than where the main rug stops), it is just the neck cover that rubs. I guess improved topline could be why my horse's rugs now rug as he has really filled out whereas his rugs used to be quite big on him. I remember someone telling me that Swish were designed with more cobby and native types in mind, so not sure how they'd suit a bigger, finer horse... no idea how true that is though.

I used to have a Premier Equine (70g I think?) for my last horse, 17hh IDxTB. I don't recall that ever rubbing his mane and they're good rugs. Only time I ever had probs was if we had torrential rain, then the seams would leak sometimes despite reproofing.

Viva

Visit site
One of mine has a Swish 50gm, and the other a Bucas 50gm, whilst they have both been good rugs overall I think the Bucas is slightly better. I Amigo's as stable rugs and no fill t/o, and do prefer the fit of them.

9tails

Visit site
we are finding, in this constant drizzle that the boys are a bit cold in their Amigo LW's but in their MW's (220gm) if the sun comes out or the wind drops, they get too hot.

the weatherbeeta medium light only comes in a combo neck, and for Fig its GOT to be detachable, any other options?

I have a 75g Swish and it's bloody lovely! Red, it is.

I detest PE rugs, they are FAR too long, look ridiculous and uncomfortable.

Pie's mum

Visit site
I have the 75g swish and am very pleased with it. It's the only rug Pie has had which doesn't rub his shoulders. I'm so pleased with it I'm slowly replacing his wardrobe with swish rugs.

monkeybum13

Visit site
I have a shires tempest 100g combo, its cheap, around the £50 mark but to be fair it is a really nice rug. Would definitely buy another :)

I think they do a standard neck but not sure about detachable neck :/ It's not rubbed my super thin skinned WB.