505 trailer. Anything I can do?

Dylanmorisson

New User
Visit site
Looking an an ifor Williams 505 horse box for sale.

All good except the side panels where the composite over the marine ply looks to have some sort of damage?
I have attached a pic?

Can this be ignored or am I looking at panels that will need replacing in time?
Can it be painted?

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_193516_copy_1156x865.jpg
    IMG_20210813_193516_copy_1156x865.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 72

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
This looks exactly like my trailer ? I have that bubbling in the exact same spot. Been like that for years. I haven’t worried about it and it’s passed all the services. I’m going to replace the panel on my front ramp soon as that’s going near the bottom.

Dylanmorisson

New User
Visit site
Okay. Good to know. It's for sale for about 2000 and all brakes etc have been done. This was the only thing I was concerned about. Thought there was moisture in those marine panels and I would have needed to replace them down the road.

Dylanmorisson

New User
Visit site
This looks exactly like my trailer ? I have that bubbling in the exact same spot. Been like that for years. I haven’t worried about it and it’s passed all the services. I’m going to replace the panel on my front ramp soon as that’s going near the bottom.
Would you worry about the marine ply inside rotting? Any ideas how it actually happens?

Annagain

Visit site
It usually happens because the sealant around the edges of the panels perishes (you’ll probably see bits that are peeling off) and people don’t re-seal them so water gets between the laminate and the ply. As others have said, as long as it hasn’t gone at the bottom it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me but I would keep a close eye on it.

Mine is starting to go a little bit at the bottom (it’s 17 years old) but my servicing man has re-sealed the panels and keeps an eye on it so will tell me when the panels need replacing. He services it annually but has a quick check whenever he’s at the yard servicing other trailers so it’s checked several times a year.

If you’re concerned, I’d get a pre-purchase inspection by someone who knows what they’re doing.

scruffyponies

Visit site
The panels are rotting.
You rely on those panels for structural rigidity, and for holding the breast and breech bar fixings. Now, depending how far they have gone and where, you may be able to use it for a few years, but the rot will spread. You will need to replace them at some point.