50g or similar turnout recommendations please?

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Sorry to post a rug question! I'm looking for a 50g (or thereabouts) turnout rug as at the moment a rain sheet doesn't seem to be keeping mine that warm, but a 100g is a little too much especially as the weather is so changeable.

I'm wondering if there are any cheaper ones around as I like to find a bargain when I can ;P although the Amigo Hero and Swish ones look quite good - any experiences?

Thanks in advance :)

SuperH

Visit site
I've got the Swish 50. It is quite a nice rug but I couldn't stop the velcro from coming undone and turning in and rubbing my horse. We haven't had this issue with other rugs so I don't know why it did it on this one. I also found it didn't stay waterproof very long and started to leak along the seams in less than a season. I liked the cut of it though. I've given up with it now and she has the PE Lucanta 50. This fits much better and I like the slightly higher cut of the neck (we don't use the neck cover).

My other has the PE Buster Titan 40, this is by far the best out of the bunch (but of course more expensive). Really waterproof, she wore it all winter adding in the liners when needed.

MissTyc

Visit site
I have the Amigo Hero 50g and also a Premier Equine 70g. I like both rugs a lot!
But my horses are fully clipped and in fly rugs as it's so muggy ... Hot ponies!

Micky

Visit site
Amigo 50gm is great, second season of using it after disappointment in the mio lightweight, mine has ppid so needs a bit extra when it's wet n windy, than the normal horse...good fit too, doesn't slip ��

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Thanks everyone :) Both sound good - I think the Amigo has just pipped it. Off to do some shopping now :)

I was quite surprised how few companies make 50g rugs, I thought they were more common!

Janovich

Visit site
I have a Weatherbeeta but just a no-fill turnout,...but i also have the 50gm and 100gm insulators that fasten into it, so i can up or down the thickness as and when needed! I've found these to be great over the last couple of winters with the weather being so changeable. They're so easy to wash through too. :)